Buying Advice #48 backhoe attachment

/ #48 backhoe attachment #21  
I think I have one more side view. It is off of the tractor now or I would get another one.

Attachments

• 48 Backhoe.JPG
    48 Backhoe.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 722
   / #48 backhoe attachment #22  
Sorry I am not sure why it posted it upside down! Can you change it in your image editor or not? If not, I can try reloading the file.

Carl

/ #48 backhoe attachment #23  
Will I have enclosed it a zip file, see if this opens in an upright view!

/ #48 backhoe attachment #24  
Thanks, I was standing on my head trying to look at that picture though:laughing: The second was a little easier to see!

Does look like a pretty neat set up though:thumbsup:

/ #48 backhoe attachment #25  
I just bought a 48 Backhoe for my JD 5303. Based on my research I wanted to buy a used hoe with the correct mounting system. The factory setup for the 5003, 5005, and 5E series mount the BH to a long subframe. There are 2 heavy brackets that bolt to the tractor. The front to the clutch housing and the rear to the PTO housing. The BH and subframe assembly is then mounted to these brackets. The subframe provides for a strong rigid mount and distributes digging loads away from the transmission casing.

When I first started looking for a 48 BH, I found one on Ebay and bid on it. I quit bidding at $1800 and lost it at the end. This was probably fortunate because to purchase the subframe, brackets and hydraulics from JD would have been at least $2500. Also, the BH was in Florida and I would have had to drive there to pick it up.

I ended up buying a 2 year old 48 BH that had been removed from a 5E series JD. It came with the subframe, brackets and hardware. I am in the process of installing the BH. It looks like it will bolt up without too much trouble. Check your S/N. The later 5003 series use the same brackets as the 5E series.

I am sure that there are other ways to mount the BH, the factory setup looked like the best for me. I have read on the net of users who have cracked the transmission housing by mounting a heavy BH on the 3 pt hitch.

Hope this helps.

/ #48 backhoe attachment #26  
I am sure that there are other ways to mount the BH, the factory setup looked like the best for me. I have read on the net of users who have cracked the transmission housing by mounting a heavy BH on the 3 pt hitch.

Hope this helps.

Not just 3pt mounted BH's, I have a 48 on a 4310 factory mount with out the sub-frame. They had some catastrophic failures with that set up, that's why they started with the sub frame package. I don't think it was even an option when I bought mine, $8,000. new.

Especially vulnerable where tractors in the rental fleets, due to the typical abuse they take. The big mistake many people make is to lift the back of the machine high off the ground with the stabilisers. That puts undo stress on the middle casting of the tractor. The stabilisers should only stabilise the machine, leaving some contact of the rear tires on the ground.

JB

/ #48 backhoe attachment #27  
Re: #48 backhoe attachment can you tell me if this is correct for a model 4120?

Hi!
Will this work with a 4120 well?
I want to be able to remove the backhoe quickly. How much work is required on the tractor?
How much$$$?
Thank you. Dave

We have a 48 John Deere backhoe for sale, if you are still in the market for one or know of someone who is. Lightly used, new seat as the old one had some cracks in it. We adapted it to fit on a JD quick hitch so we could hook onto it with either tractor. Pioneer hydraulic couplers. Let me know if you would like some photos.

Carl
also.....where is the how located?

/ #48 backhoe attachment #28  
I am looking for a backhoe for my 5105. I am told the 48 is the model I need. Does anyone have one they want to get rid of at a reasonable price? I am in Texas so distance might be an issue, depending on shipping cost.

/ #48 backhoe attachment #29  
I am looking for a backhoe for my 5105. I am told the 48 is the model I need. Does anyone have one they want to get rid of at a reasonable price? I am in Texas so distance might be an issue, depending on shipping cost.

Finding the correct sub frame to mount the backhoe on the 5105 may be harder than finding a 48 backhoe. The 5105 take a completely different sub frame than the one used for the JD compact tractors.

Here is a link to a manual. http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMM135891_19/

/ #48 backhoe attachment #30  
Hello, I actually have a 48 backhoe for sale that's currently mated to my 4500 but I have the subframe to mate to the 5000 series. It came set up for the 5000 series and I converted it after purchasing it; it has been store in my shed every since. I'm asking $4500.

Matt