4720 Load Match

/ 4720 Load Match #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Guys, Getting the feel for my "new" 4720. Can't quite figure out the use or "benefit" of Load Match. The manual doesn't say a lot. This is one feature I don't have on my 3320.

Appreciate any thoughts.

/ 4720 Load Match #2  
I see no appreciable benefit from it on my 3720 either. Completely underwhelmed by the Motion-Match as well. Air conditioning works well though

//greg//

/ 4720 Load Match #3  
What is supposed to do is lower ground speed (in any gear) and raise torque for more power. If you go full speed and flip the load match switch while driving you will feel it slow down. Not sure how much it really helps but that's what its supposed to do. I flip it on when I'm doing heavy work just because it's supposed to help but I don't really see much difference.

/ 4720 Load Match
I see no appreciable benefit from it on my 3720 either. Completely underwhelmed by the Motion-Match as well. Air conditioning works well though

//greg//
10-4 Greg-sometimes I do think "less" is "more"!

/ 4720 Load Match #5  
The JD110TLB is advertised with "Load Match" as well. There's no switch to either turn it on or off, however.

As CurlyDave explained to me - before I bought my 110 - it's a "governer"!

Remember the governer... from the olden year's of tractordom? Just before the engine stalls out; when working the machine hard - the governor will kick in and boost the engine throttle a hundred rpm or so and pull through a hard patch. Pull into a pile of sand, gravel and load the bucket up - wheels spin, loader hydraulics drag - engine bogs down; governer (LoadMatch) kicks in and the engine speeds up. Hopefully, enough that the engine doesn't just quit!

AKfish

/ 4720 Load Match #6  
I have only noticed it mowing. Hit a real heavy thick patch with the MX6 going 6mph and the engine doesn't lug but the speed will drop down 1 or 2 mph then when you get through it speeds back up.

/ 4720 Load Match #7  
Remember the governer... from the olden year's of tractordom? Just before the engine stalls out; when working the machine hard - the governor will kick in and boost the engine throttle a hundred rpm or so and pull through a hard patch. Pull into a pile of sand, gravel and load the bucket up - wheels spin, loader hydraulics drag - engine bogs down; governer (LoadMatch) kicks in and the engine speeds up. Hopefully, enough that the engine doesn't just quit! AKfish
My small bit of knowledge and experience with it tells me that is a good definition of it. It is supposed to, under any circumstances, prevent you from stalling the engine. I reckon the old timer's Load Match was a quick foot to the clutch.

Last edited:
   / 4720 Load Match
Thx Guys. I have in fact noticed the drop in travel speed when activated. I'll see what it does when doing loader work-better test will be the 7' Fisher-only thing missing is snow-last year at this time we were at 81". Bare ground today.

/ 4720 Load Match #9  
Guys, Getting the feel for my "new" 4720. Can't quite figure out the use or "benefit" of Load Match. The manual doesn't say a lot. This is one feature I don't have on my 3320.

Appreciate any thoughts.

I take it the 3320 is not a hydro tractor? Load match is standard on all 3000-4000 20 series e-hydro's. Although the switch is no longer there on later model machines it is still a function of the e-hydro trans. It can be disabled on all machines if desired (even the 110tlb) I have the instructions some where if desired. Motion match had limited use's but did have it's place when a specific speed was required (ex, pto drive aerator would require a specific speed to maintain hole spacing). I agree with the governor/anti stall description of load match as mentioned above.

/ 4720 Load Match
I take it the 3320 is not a hydro tractor? Load match is standard on all 3000-4000 20 series e-hydro's. Although the switch is no longer there on later model machines it is still a function of the e-hydro trans. It can be disabled on all machines if desired (even the 110tlb) I have the instructions some where if desired. Motion match had limited use's but did have it's place when a specific speed was required (ex, pto drive aerator would require a specific speed to maintain hole spacing). I agree with the governor/anti stall description of load match as mentioned above.
Call me a dummy. First I went to my manual. then I went to the barn. For sure the switch is there (its a 2005 by the way). I guess I never noticed any benefit/reaction to its use-and lump "load match", Motion Match etc into the same pot. And I have almost 900 hours on the machine-mostly mowing, snow plowing, loader work.