4720 engine oil capacity. (Deere Turbo)

/ 4720 engine oil capacity. (Deere Turbo) #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
My 2007 4720 (Deere power) has always shown an overfill on dipstick, in spite of fact I follow refills per spec.

Recently I was really doing some heavy chipping for an extended period at 540 PTO speed.. Tractor not parked on completely level ground-tractor a bit higher on "curb side" but nothing wild. In any case it showed evidence of oil leaking around frontend-nothing serious but again at 1800 + hours it has never had a problem.

So in any case, I cracked the drain plug and reduced oil level to high end of the cross hatched area on stick.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

/ 4720 engine oil capacity. (Deere Turbo) #2  
On my 2006 4320 I changed out the hydraulic pump didn't help. I have not figured out what the problem is yet. over 2000 hrs now. and yes I have had this problem for about 1000 hrs. I change my oil at less than 100 hrs. each time.

/ 4720 engine oil capacity. (Deere Turbo)
On my 2006 4320 I changed out the hydraulic pump didn't help. I have not figured out what the problem is yet. over 2000 hrs now. and yes I have had this problem for about 1000 hrs. I change my oil at less than 100 hrs. each time.

To make sure we are on same page. I've always done my oil change fills "by the book". And it always showed on stick, well above the cross hatched area.
So is the "stick wrong", or is the manual wrong in terms of capacity. As I said, this became an issue when I was working the engine harder than usual at 540 RTPM speed-and I was parked on a slight slope.
When you do an engine oil/filter change, is the level on your dipstick above the cross hatch?

/ 4720 engine oil capacity. (Deere Turbo) #4  
To make sure we are on same page. I've always done my oil change fills "by the book". And it always showed on stick, well above the cross hatched area.
So is the "stick wrong", or is the manual wrong in terms of capacity. As I said, this became an issue when I was working the engine harder than usual at 540 RTPM speed-and I was parked on a slight slope.
When you do an engine oil/filter change, is the level on your dipstick above the cross hatch?

Mine is a tiny bit overfilled when I put 8 quarts in. The front of my engine is weeping little oil, but nothing that drips. I think it is either the oil pan gasket or the timing cover, but nothing bad enough to repair at this stage.
When you drained it down, how much did it take to get the level right? I would guess less than 1/2 quart?

If the level continues to rise, I’ve heard that the mechanical fuel lift pump seals sometimes go out and leak diesel into the crank case.

/ 4720 engine oil capacity. (Deere Turbo) #5  

The book specifications for capacity are usually based on an empty system at the factory. Since you can never completely drain the engine the refill amount will always typically be somewhat less than what the system capacity specification is. This has been my experience on literally every engine I've ever changed oil on, both large and small and both using the drain plug and using an oil sucker.

/ 4720 engine oil capacity. (Deere Turbo) #6  
I did an experiment a few years ago. I drained the oil and left the drain plug out for several hours. It was still dripping lets say it was 4-5 hours later. LIke a drop every minute, all from memory. Maybe i will need to try that again. I had a oil sample analyzed about that time also. It was within there normal range. I talked to the lab direct and the said they could not identify engine oil versus hydraulic oil, compounds are to similar. I have some old service bulletins one says to seal the crank bolts, not sure what that means. There were other items to look for. Later

/ 4720 engine oil capacity. (Deere Turbo)
Guys,
Thx for responses. I've drained probably 3/4 of a qt and I'm slightly above the cross hatching on stick..I did a little bit of chipping the other day but I may be giving it a good sustained work out in a few days. I have a Valby 150 chipper (210lb flywheel) so that is tough duty. And I think Arlen when I had the oil leak issue it was coming from the front cover. Friend of mine who is just retired as a heavy equipment mechanic mentioned when the pan is overfilled, just the motion of the crankshaft will generate a lot of foaming or misting for lack of a better word.