4600 SU fuel sending unit question

/ 4600 SU fuel sending unit question #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
So I replaced my fuel sending unit and noticed it's now leaking. I take it back out and find a possible issue. The sending unit goes into the tank first then you place a rubber seal over top followed with a metal ring that rotates in to lock all into place. The problem is there are exposed holes in top of sending unit. Why did the manufacture put the 5 or 6 holes there? My first thought was for venting but that would let dirt in and leak out fuel unless the rubber seal totally covered them. But at that point the vent theory is out because there sealed by the gasket or rubber seal. As it stands now the new rubber seal only partially covers all the holes which is why fuel is coming out of that opening. So is the seal suppose to cover up the holes? Very strange design. If so what are the holes for? By the way I went back to my NH parts dealer and a new gasket only partially covers the holes also. So either the seals are not made correctly or there's another issue.

Thanks

/ 4600 SU fuel sending unit question #2  
You have two problems.
1. The correct sender to use with a lock ring does not have 6 holes for attaching screws.
2. The seal goes below the sender flange, not above it.
Get the correct sender and install it properly, it won't leak.

/ 4600 SU fuel sending unit question
Thanks Rick. We went by the drawing though so are you saying the part number and drawing are incorrect? The drawing also shows the seal going in after the sending unit. Thanks again for your help.

image-3548147782.jpg

You have two problems. 1. The correct sender to use with a lock ring does not have 6 holes for attaching screws. 2. The seal goes below the sender flange, not above it. Get the correct sender and install it properly, it won't leak.

In looking at the picture there are no holes on the sending unit. Now I need to figure out why new one has them. Will call dealer tomorrow.

/ 4600 SU fuel sending unit question #5  
In looking at the picture there are no holes on the sending unit. Now I need to figure out why new one has them. Will call dealer tomorrow.

Forget the line drawing. What did your old sender look like, and in what order did you remove the original sender and seal?

Forget the line drawing. What did your old sender look like, and in what order did you remove the original sender and seal?

Honestly I don't know. It didn't work and leaked also. A friend of mine put a new one in for me while I was at work. I just took it out and found the issue. Will ask my bud to see if he recalls.

Was at dealer this am. Man what a mess. Said they don't make one for 4600 any more so ordered one "no holes for early 3910 models. Hope it's right one. But I went to messicks to look at part and don't even see a 3910 listed.

/ 4600 SU fuel sending unit question #8  
Was at dealer this am. Man what a mess. Said they don't make one for 4600 any more so ordered one "no holes for early 3910 models. Hope it's right one. But I went to messicks to look at part and don't even see a 3910 listed.

D8NN9A316KA is the sender you need. Can't help with your dealer problem.

NH still makes the OEM version. Dealer was trying to find aftermarket. Why I don't know is he knows I always ask for OEM. Like the dealer though as my parts guy is great but think he had a brain fart that day. Lol