4600 owners

/ 4600 owners #1  

dummy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 1220, John Deere 770, Case 580E and Allmand TLB-35
Was using the neighbors 4600 yesterday evening to tote feed to his cows. powerreverser 4x4 w/ 460 loader, 165 hours. I really like the machine, great power and pretty easy to use. Two questions though. Is it just me or is the loader a little slow in all functions? Secondly, by habit, I use steering brakes. This tractor didn't seem to respond to the right turns as well as the left?? Definitely not bashing the tractor as a whole, just curiosity.

/ 4600 owners #2  
As far as the brakes I also use mine alot and haven't had that problem. With the loader were the rpms up when you used it. It will be slow if you let off the pedal gas and operate the loader at idle. If I operate the loader with a good rpm though it's pretty quick.

/ 4600 owners #3  
My 4600 is an HST. I have the same situation, slow loader response at low RPMs, but A OK at~>2000. Turning brakes function fine.

/ 4600 owners
You're both right at idle, extremely slow. At 1500 -2000 rpm's is where I thought it lacked in response time. We're supposed to be getting together this weekend for some play time. I'll be more observant and see if I can narrow down what I was feeling was wrong. Thanks.

/ 4600 owners #5  
My 4600 operates the same - the manual does mention that you should operate at higher RPMs to get better overall performance from the attachments (including the FEL). When I got the tractor I was surprised at where the recommended settings were for the PTL also - seemed really high to me.

Overall if you keep the RPMs up the attachments and everything seems to work better. Especially when you are running multiple items at once.

-Bob

/ 4600 owners #6  
Despite standard operatig practice, I always run all my hydarulic machines at 75 to 100% rpm once warmed up. All responses are faster, torque is maximized and lugging is eliminated. Many manuals indicate that the hydro fuid flows faster and thus causes less wear. Ditchwitch, and Cummins recommend avoiding lugging at low rpm, but my 110 indicates it can be operated between 15-2700 rpm. I usually plow at 2-2300, and backhoe and loader at 27-28. I have always found this works with excavators as well for maximum productivity. Things can be a little jerky without experience, and you always have to wear hearing protection.

/ 4600 owners
Update. Realize now that what I was doing was not comparing "apples to apples" for loaders. Had been using the Case earlier that day and they're not quite the same. Realized this Sat. when I went from one to the other and got the "hey dummy" realization. Right hand steering brakes are a different story though, there doesn't appear to be any. At around ~900 rpms and up, the right brake won't keep the tractor from moving. He never noticed because he never split the brake pedal before. So, today it's off to the shop for a look see.