/ 4520 #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
I have two questions as i am looking at a 4520 among some other brands. First, where is the JD 4520 made, USA? Second, does the air ride seat have arm rests and swivel option (like the seat on a Kubota grand L) and can you get a tilt steering wheel?
Thanks

/ 4520 #3  
Made in USA
Arm rests optional.
Tilt wheel standard.
No swivel seat that I am aware of.

/ 4520 #4  
I have two questions as i am looking at a 4520 among some other brands. First, where is the JD 4520 made, USA? Second, does the air ride seat have arm rests and swivel option (like the seat on a Kubota grand L) and can you get a tilt steering wheel?
Thanks

Why does it matter where it's made? This isn't the good old days where everything was made in the USA. Country of origin is virtually meaningless in today's economic situation, there are very good products coming out of every manufacturing company. Some John Deere products are assembled in the USA, not manufactured in the USA, just put together there. 50 to 75% of the parts on a John Deere are likely made across some body of water.

As was said, no swivel option on the seat, and you can get arm rests if you option them with your order. Tilt steering is standard I believe.

The 4520 is the best choice out of the 4x20 series machines. You get a very substantial horsepower increase from the 4320. It is completely worthless to step into a 4720 from a 4520, you only gain 6 HP, which is not noticeable and will cost you $2,000.

/ 4520
Thanks for the replies. My wife and i have looked at both Kubota and John Deere now and she is leaning towards a Kubota (me the JD) because she could adjust the seat and steering wheel to where she could comfortable reach the pedals (hst) but not be right on top of the steering wheel. On the JD she just couldn't comfortable reach the pedal but the 4520 we looked at did not have tilt wheel, I think if it had tilt wheel and the air ride seat she might be ok.

/ 4520 #6  
Thanks for the replies. My wife and i have looked at both Kubota and John Deere now and she is leaning towards a Kubota (me the JD) because she could adjust the seat and steering wheel to where she could comfortable reach the pedals (hst) but not be right on top of the steering wheel. On the JD she just couldn't comfortable reach the pedal but the 4520 we looked at did not have tilt wheel, I think if it had tilt wheel and the air ride seat she might be ok.

ALL xx20 series tractors have a standard tilt steering wheel. (That includes a 4520). Theres a little lever under the steering wheel that you pull and releases the lever and you can adjust the steering wheel. I wouldn't see that big of a difference in the JD and Kubota for how she can reach the pedals. Call me crazy but the swivel wouldn't matter for getting to the pedals as much as looking backward and I would believe them to both have relatively same slide forward and backward pattern. On the JD you can also get an optional air ride seat (don't believe you can on Kubota at last check) to better adjust the hight for her. Both are excellent machines though:thumbsup:

/ 4520
The swivel was more for me for looking behind the tractor, not a huge deal but it makes a little difference. The pedals on the JD seem to be farther away from the seat on the JD than the Kubota, it works well for me (6'2") however she has to slide the seat to where she is almost up against the steering wheel (she's 5'4"). The salesmen didn't know it had tilt wheel and i didn't look for it after he said it didn't have it. We will be going to look/drive again, different dealer this time, and will find the tilt wheel adjustment this time.

/ 4520 #8  
I think a different dealer would be a good idea. Too not know if a tractor has a tilt steering wheel... what else does the dealer not know about the tractor??

Sounds like your looking at a cab model though? They are nice:thumbsup:

/ 4520
Probably going to go with an open station and get a backhoe attachment instead, just cant justify the cab and backhoe. Maybe when i get older i'll upgrade to a cab tractor but for now i'll stick it out in the elements.

/ 4520 #10  
Probably going to go with an open station and get a backhoe attachment instead, just cant justify the cab and backhoe. Maybe when i get older i'll upgrade to a cab tractor but for now i'll stick it out in the elements.

Do you have a lot of use for a backhoe? If not, the cab is definitely worth it. Picture rain, snow, unbearable heat, unbearable cold, wind, and dust...and picture it all safely contained just beyond some glass and steel, you won't feel a thing!

If the backhoe will serve you a lot of use, then I have to agree, braving the elements could very well be worth it, there is nothing like having your own backhoe.