4500Z won’t start

/ 4500Z won’t start #11  
Glad you found/posted the solution.

Curious why your battery voltage readings are so high though - 12.6v should be the max, I would assume. Doesn’t really matter, I guess.

/ 4500Z won’t start #12  
I, and I bet some others here, had forgotten all about that auto-stop feature. Although I also live in very steep terrain, I do not use that feature. I will take a look "in thee" next service. Glad you are back in the saddle!

prs

/ 4500Z won’t start #13  
Thanks for reporting back the solution.

I'd like to ask a followup question about the switch.

You say it is the same switch the hand brake actuates.

Does this mean the "hand brake" led did not register as engaged at the TCU?

I'm trying to figure out how you decided to look in that panel.

/ 4500Z won’t start
Glad you found/posted the solution.

Curious why your battery voltage readings are so high though - 12.6v should be the max, I would assume. Doesn’t really matter, I guess.

Thanks. I just edited that. I was using speech to text while commuting this morning.

/ 4500Z won’t start
Thanks for reporting back the solution.

I'd like to ask a followup question about the switch.

You say it is the same switch the hand brake actuates.

Does this mean the "hand brake" led did not register as engaged at the TCU?

I'm trying to figure out how you decided to look in that panel.

The LED lit up when pulled. If you look at the way it is connected that return to neutral lever is attached to a spring that is also attached to the brake lever. I thought to check because I also posted on a facebook group called “I want a Ventrac someday, and one of the guys on there messaged me his phone number. He told me the spring lever goes bad sometimes and he has started wiring around it. Mine wasn’t bad, but was completely clogged up with crap. I dug it out by hand and then blew everything out with a Radiator genie.

/ 4500Z won’t start #16  
My wife was using the Ventrac with tuff cut Mower. She had just gotten started and wanted move something so turned it off , got off and then when she got back on, it wouldn’t start.
No click, no nothing. When I turn the key, the dash lights come on. I dont hear the steady rapid clicking of the fuel pump. I dont hear it turn over or a click of a solenoid. Voltage says 14.4 or 14.5

I put a meter on the battery and got 14.6. I put the meter on the starter. Red to red, black to the white cable that is attatched to the starter and it reads 14.5 when in the “on” or run position. Does anyone have any ideas? I pulled fuses and they look good.
Turn the mower off..put in neutral

/ 4500Z won’t start #17  
DANG! I think I know of a panel that I will remove for inspection tomorrow!

prs

/ 4500Z won’t start #18  
I did remove that panel and there was some dusty grime there, but not like the OP's impaction.

However, I thought while in there, I would check the switch setting. I wiped the area clean and used electronic clener to clean the switch and its mounting plate and bolts. The switch function is effected by the adjustment of neutral centering adjustment and that centering adjustment can be afftected by the park brake adjustment. So I also cleaned all those areas and adjusted the park brake to spec. Then I placed the Ventrac with all tires up off of the floor and did the centering inspection and found the original setting was still correct.

So, onto that little neutral switch; it was a PIA to adjust and mine was tighter (0.3mm) than spec (0.8mm to 1.6mm). The adjustment specs are given in tenths of milimeters and the distance between the measurments sites is close to 8.5 centimeters -- so we are talking frog's hairs here. I finally lucked-out and managed to get the switch set to near center of spec (1.1mm). If if you do this, I had the best success by just barely snugging the front switch plate mounting bolt, leaving the rear one a tad bit loose while the measured gap for the switch was on the "too wide" side, then gently tapped the mounting plate forward with a drift punch and small drifting hammer. I did the two measurments with a digital caliper and, having no helper to move the SDLA lever, I used a wood block and door framing wedge to shim that lever forward until the switch opened and to hold it steady there. I do not think a helper could hold it steady enough anyway.

prs