4500Z won’t start

/ 4500Z won’t start #1  

WoodChuckDad

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX7320 Power Shuttle Cab, Komatsu PC130-6
My wife was using the Ventrac with tuff cut Mower. She had just gotten started and wanted move something so turned it off , got off and then when she got back on, it wouldn’t start.
No click, no nothing. When I turn the key, the dash lights come on. I dont hear the steady rapid clicking of the fuel pump. I dont hear it turn over or a click of a solenoid. Voltage says 14.4 or 14.5

I put a meter on the battery and got 14.6. I put the meter on the starter. Red to red, black to the white cable that is attatched to the starter and it reads 14.5 when in the “on” or run position. Does anyone have any ideas? I pulled fuses and they look good.

/ 4500Z won’t start #2  
I’d try a different battery.

/ 4500Z won’t start #4  
That sounds like a switch of some sort. I don't know anything about Ventracs specifically, so I don't know what all is switched, but I would check all the easy stuff first. PTO switch, e-brake, neutral, bounce on the seat a few times and fold it up and back a few times. I've stumped myself more than once by not realizing I left the PTO on or something like that.

/ 4500Z won’t start #5  
Pop the hood up and look at the TCM - Tractor Control Module.

The red LEDs will tell you what safety is preventing the starting.

If you have further problems tell us what model you have?

• Good Post
Reactions: prs
   / 4500Z won’t start #6  
I believe the OP stated it to be a "Z". The advice to check the module is correct and then there are the 2 fuse boxes. The PTO switch and seat switch are two possible fail circuits.

/ 4500Z won’t start #7  
PTO still on?

/ 4500Z won’t start
The PTO was not on. I checked the reset switch a couple of times that did not work. I checked the computer module and when I turned the key it indicated that the starter light was coming on so it was picking up the fact that I was turning the key. I checked voltage to the starter and it had a constant voltage of 12.6. I pulled the other wire and put the probe in it and when I turn the key nothing happened. It turned out to be the return to neutral switch where you have the ability to put the lever down to auto so that it always returns to neutral when you let go of the control stick or you can put it down so that it continues to Coast forward. Because we live on mountain land and there’s nothing but hills there I have it on auto because when I let go of the stick I wanted to come to the stop. There is a little lever switch tucked inside the front panel

Last edited:
   / 4500Z won’t start
That panel is down by your shins and knees. I took that panel off the entire area was completely filled with dirt and dust and mowing debris and so much of it was in there that there was junk wedged behind the lever of the switch so that the switch could not be actuator that is the same switch that you would activate when you pull back the parking brake which is required in order to be able to start the mower. When I cleaned all of that out I was able to start it up as normal and go hit the field.
IMG_8177.jpg