4320 Durability

/ 4320 Durability #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Guys,

My 3320 (which I bought new) has 830 trouble free hours but no cab and if we have another winter like last, I don't want to be pulling ice off my glasses again. I've looked at a Curtis cab but that will cost me close to 4 grand or more if I have my dealer install it.

I know of a 4320 (2006) that is for sale with half the hours and a curtis cab. It has turfs and no third valve so:

-Any issues with the JD engine in the 4320? Turbo life? I bought a 3320 as it was the most HP without a turbo which I view as a long term maintenance issue so this obviously is counter to that. Plus I think this thing was owned by a car dealer who just used it for snow, hence the 400 hours in 5 years. My old trucker traoininf always taught me to idle down a turbo motor to cool the turbo-I guarantee some kid was running this at 2 grand and then shut it off!

Comments?

/ 4320 Durability #2  
I don't think you would have any issue with that tractor. 400 hours on the powertech engine is barely broken in. I agree on the idle down, but doubt that much damage has been done with that few hours. The 3rd spool kit may not be available but could be fashioned. The valve is there, just needs a control.

There was a Product Improvement Process (PIP) (read: Recall) on the fuel pump, might be worth seeing if it was done.

I would really look at the loader arms and check the alignment, straightness and function. I would worry more that a lot rat ran the tractor into something solid with it.

/ 4320 Durability
10-4 C-Tom, understood on all points-thx for response

/ 4320 Durability #4  
I have a 4120 that I bought new in fall of 2005 and have put around 100 hrs a year on. The only issue I have had was the Bosch starter which began acting up after (3) years and finally failed completely this summer. JD wanted $300 for a factory replacement starter, so rather than spend that, or get it rebuilt, I got an aftermarket (Powerstrike) from Amazon for $108. Now the tractor starts as good as it did the year I bought it. No other issues at all. I do like the JD Powertech engine and the 400X loader. My tractor is open-station with P/R transmission, block heater, and loaded R1 tires. The only thing I would do different is to get the extendable lower link arms as this big, heavy C?UT is difficult to muscle around while attaching implements compared to my old 8n. My primary task for this tractor is running a 6-foot, light-duty bush-hog, but I also use it for spring tillage, and plowing snow with a rear blade in the winter. For me, the best part of the tractor is the 4wd and the fact that I now get my spring planting done, on average, more than a month earlier than when all I had was 2wd tractors. Plus, I have not been stuck since getting it, while that used to happen at least once a year. Incidentally, the 400X has a ton of power, and the few times my R1's have lost traction in mud, I was able to drag or push myself out with ease using that strong loader. I dont think you will have any issues with power there, even if the 4320 does have the slightly less efficient hydro transmission, which would put it about even with my gear 4120 when it comes to how much power you can get into the ground or pto.

/ 4320 Durability
I have a 4120 that I bought new in fall of 2005 and have put around 100 hrs a year on. The only issue I have had was the Bosch starter which began acting up after (3) years and finally failed completely this summer. JD wanted $300 for a factory replacement starter, so rather than spend that, or get it rebuilt, I got an aftermarket (Powerstrike) from Amazon for $108. Now the tractor starts as good as it did the year I bought it. No other issues at all. I do like the JD Powertech engine and the 400X loader. My tractor is open-station with P/R transmission, block heater, and loaded R1 tires. The only thing I would do different is to get the extendable lower link arms as this big, heavy C?UT is difficult to muscle around while attaching implements compared to my old 8n. My primary task for this tractor is running a 6-foot, light-duty bush-hog, but I also use it for spring tillage, and plowing snow with a rear blade in the winter. For me, the best part of the tractor is the 4wd and the fact that I now get my spring planting done, on average, more than a month earlier than when all I had was 2wd tractors. Plus, I have not been stuck since getting it, while that used to happen at least once a year. Incidentally, the 400X has a ton of power, and the few times my R1's have lost traction in mud, I was able to drag or push myself out with ease using that strong loader. I dont think you will have any issues with power there, even if the 4320 does have the slightly less efficient hydro transmission, which would put it about even with my gear 4120 when it comes to how much power you can get into the ground or pto.
Thx for your comments- I have had two Yanmars- a 755 and my current 3320 so I'm a little gunshy of the Powertech-just trying to get my comfort level up! I hear you on the power loss through the hydro but I do mostly loader work with it and view the hydros as being bullet proof. I did buy a 43x0 power reverser for one of my employer locations a couple of years ago and it has done a good job-just partial to hydros.

/ 4320 Durability #6  
I have a 4320 ehydro, R4 tires, 400X loader and 485 BH and couldn't be more pleased. Never run out of power and the fuel economy is almost as good as my 3720 cab tractor, eg, 0.8 gph vs 0.6 gph.

/ 4320 Durability
I have a 4320 ehydro, R4 tires, 400X loader and 485 BH and couldn't be more pleased. Never run out of power and the fuel economy is almost as good as my 3720 cab tractor, eg, 0.8 gph vs 0.6 gph.

SS, thx-how many hours?

/ 4320 Durability
Thx- just got back from checking this thing out- it has 458 hours and although its a 2005, I believe it- original owner is a guy who owns a self storage facility-he used it to plow snow (has a 7' snow bucket) and also move stuff with a set of forks. It has a soft Curtis cab and he bought a new hard cab Kabota because he wanted to be "more comfortable" in the winter.

One thing-it idles at 1100. Is this typical of Powertechs?

/ 4320 Durability #10  
One thing-it idles at 1100. Is this typical of Powertechs?
I believe the owners manual specifies idle speed of 950 rpm. It's fairly easy to adjust --- loosen lock nut, adjust to 950 and tighten lock nut.