422 quit

/ 422 quit #1  

cqaigy2

Tractor
PT 422
I was mowing grass in between cutting some trees for firewood and my pt just quit. Abruptly. I tried to start it and it burped a little. Then i removed the fuel line at the carb and fuel poured out so im thinking probably fuel at least to the carburetor. So i walked back to my shop and grabbed some tools and starter fluid. Squirt a little and the tractor fired right up but quit. So i have spark, pulled the carb off and opened it up cleaned with carb cleaner and blew with air. Pulled the fuel solenoid off to clean that little trouble spot also. Had to get some gasket material to cut out a new gasket between the intake manifold and carb. Installed the carb, in the rain by the way. The tractor started right up and away i go.

Im thinking that alcohol in the gas is causing me some grief. I found a gas station that sells alcohol free gas, I'm thinking of using it in my tractor to see if i can reduce the amount of carb work i've been doing to keep my tractor going.

So anyway, just relaying a tractor problem along with my fix.

BTW the PT is running great! I love this machine!

/ 422 quit #2  
I have read where a lot of the gas you get these days is bad for small engines esp. air cooled ones...I see Stabil is now selling an additive to correct this?

/ 422 quit
I seem to remember reading that Stabil reduced phase separation and that may also help protect other components from corrosion. I always put Stabil in my gas containers when i fill them but i think alcohol free gas would still be better.