4215 yes? no?

/ 4215 yes? no? #1  

coloradotrout

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4100 HST CUT w/Yanmar 3TNE74 | JD 300 Lawn
Been looking into LS420HE.

I have a JD4100H (TractorData.com John Deere 4100 tractor information) that specs at 16HP I think. Other than issues I new going into it (bought used from rental place), and my own self inflicted issues, it's been solid.
I run 5' finish mower, 4' rotary cutter, 5' tiller (a stretch for the 4100), 4' box blade, 5' angle blade, and a middle buster.

I'm looking to go to 35 to 40 hp and keep the same implements for now. I need maneuverability to get in and around trees, livestock pens, etc. My 4100 maneuvers well.

So I came across the 4215. Looks like that is where they step up the engine size (4 cyl) from the next lower xx15.

Reliability is important. I expect 4000h over 20 years and no major issues. I take care of my equipment (2000 Excursion v10, 250K miles, 96 honda odyssey 301K, the newest vehicle I have is a 06 F250 v10).

Any feedback appreciated.

/ 4215 yes? no? #2  
The TYM engines previously referred to as Kukje engines are very simple and reliable engines. Mechanical injected pushrod engines, I have 340h on mine with no problems whatsoever. I service it myself.

/ 4215 yes? no? #3  

4215 Series 2, Compact Tractor​

Overall width / Ag Tires56.3 in.
Gross engine power42 hp | 31.3 kW
PTO power36 hp | 26.8 kW

I run 5' finish mower, 4' rotary cutter, 5' tiller (a stretch for the 4100), 4' box blade, 5' angle blade, and a middle buster.

I would upgrade to a 6' Rotary Cutter, a 5' heavy Box Blade and a 7' angle/rear blade ASAP. If you need both a Box Blade and an angle/rear blade. Most would obtain a Box Blade or a Rear/Angle Blade but not both.

Last edited:
   / 4215 yes? no? #4  
I have a 2017 Branson (now TYM) F36Rn, which is equivalent to the 3515R in the US. Before I had a Kubota B7000, more or less the same size as your JD, and I have to say, this Branson will maneuver so much better and easier in tight places than the much smaller Kubota did. It always amazes me the places I managed to get into with it.

Since I maintain a couple orchards with it where the trees are planted on a roughly 13 ft grid pattern, this requires lots of maneuvering when tilling or mowing the orchards.

Right now, it has about 420 hours, trouble free hours. The only minor issue I had was just the need for an adjustment on the parking brake right after I bought and used it on some steep hills. Easy fix. Other than that, I did a bunch of mods but that's my preference, not necessarily something wrong with the tractor.

The 12x12 Shuttle transmission was a bit rough in the beginning, which is perfectly normal for a new tractor, but over time with a lot of use, since I go through almost every gear very often, it's now really nice and smooth to use.

I didn't realize they changed from the 3 cylinder Turbo on the older 4015 to the 4 cylinder NA engine in the new 4215. Either both have great engines.

/ 4215 yes? no?
Thanks for all the feedback. Please share more. The 4215 has impressive specs and the 4 cyl engine. Simple is good. I'm expecting 4000h / 20 years Hoping around $21K. We'll see.

/ 4215 yes? no?

4215 Series 2, Compact Tractor​

Overall width / Ag Tires56.3 in.
Gross engine power42 hp | 31.3 kW
PTO power36 hp | 26.8 kW

I would upgrade to a 6' Rotary Cutter, a 5' heavy Box Blade and a 7' angle/rear blade ASAP. If you need both a Box Blade and an angle/rear blade.
Yeah. It will be tempting.

/ 4215 yes? no? #7  
Kukje makes a bunch of engines by varying bore, stroke and number of cylinders. Their 25-55hp engines are all based on the Cummins A series. They bought the rights to that many years ago. These IDI engines are the few mechanical injection units available that meet the > 25hp levels of Tier IV. They use a continual low temp regen scheme. I think the newer ones which have the ability for the operator to command a regen have been trouble free. My 3725 does not have the ability to command a regen and some folks in cold areas who could not run their tractors hard during the winter ended up with clogged DPFs. The units that can do a regen have a valve on the exhaust near the tailpipe.

The FI pump is a clone of the well known Bosch VE pump.

I test drove both the Branson 3520 (three cylinder 1.8L) and 4720 (four cylinder 2.3L) and ended up with the dealer's first 3725 (four cylinder 2.1L). The four cylinders were both smoother and quieter than the smaller three and the 3725 is a bit smoother and quieter than the 4720.

Coming from a 16hp Kubota B7100 the 3725 was huge at first (our land is steep and wooded so things are tight) but I got used to it and am glad I got a machine this size now.

/ 4215 yes? no?
Kukje makes a bunch of engines by varying bore, stroke and number of cylinders. Their 25-55hp engines are all based on the Cummins A series. They bought the rights to that many years ago. These IDI engines are the few mechanical injection units available that meet the > 25hp levels of Tier IV. They use a continual low temp regen scheme. I think the newer ones which have the ability for the operator to command a regen have been trouble free. My 3725 does not have the ability to command a regen and some folks in cold areas who could not run their tractors hard during the winter ended up with clogged DPFs. The units that can do a regen have a valve on the exhaust near the tailpipe.

The FI pump is a clone of the well known Bosch VE pump.

I test drove both the Branson 3520 (three cylinder 1.8L) and 4720 (four cylinder 2.3L) and ended up with the dealer's first 3725 (four cylinder 2.1L). The four cylinders were both smoother and quieter than the smaller three and the 3725 is a bit smoother and quieter than the 4720.

Coming from a 16hp Kubota B7100 the 3725 was huge at first (our land is steep and wooded so things are tight) but I got used to it and am glad I got a machine this size now.
One dealer I spoke with kinda dismissed the xx15s as "Branson" and not TYM. Even suggested they might not be available. By specs those have larger lift capacities. Not the yanmar engine I guess

/ 4215 yes? no? #9  
One dealer I spoke with kinda dismissed the xx15s as "Branson" and not TYM. Even suggested they might not be available. By specs those have larger lift capacities. Not the yanmar engine I guess
I find that a little hard to believe considering the 15 series, specially the 2515, is the best selling tractor from Branson (now TYM) in the US and the F36 (3515) is the best selling tractor in Europe.

/ 4215 yes? no? #10  

That dealer is an absolute chode. 🤣