4110 , Mahindra. , how does it handle in snow with chains, 4 wheel dr ?

/ 4110 , Mahindra. , how does it handle in snow with chains, 4 wheel dr ? #1  

coffeeman

Platinum Member
How does the 4110 handle on snow or ice on hill with chains? .Industrial tires. Thinking about using box blade, Is this a feasible idea?

Cheers........Jeeps

/ 4110 , Mahindra. , how does it handle in snow with chains, 4 wheel dr ? #2  
asphalt or gravel? Grade of slope? bare link chains or V-bar? And what are you using the box blade for, snow removal?

/ 4110 , Mahindra. , how does it handle in snow with chains, 4 wheel dr ?
asphalt or gravel? Grade of slope? bare link chains or V-bar? And what are you using the box blade for, snow removal?

Lane straight up and down, no slant, driveway. Quite steep one section , gravel road with ditches on either side, haven't bought chains yet and want to clean off snow. I don't have any weights or water in tires.
Had old rusty Blazer with plow. The gas tank rusted hole in it and floor driver side rusted bad. Engine & tranny runs good but plod doesn't go up & down.

Thanks for reply.....Coffeeman

/ 4110 , Mahindra. , how does it handle in snow with chains, 4 wheel dr ? #4  
Hard to guess how extreme you'll have to go with the traction aids without knowing how steep. However, if you are dealing with all gravel, I would get a set of v-bar chains. v-bar chains dig into anything (including asphalt and concrete). If the tractor is staying on gravel v-bars will give you the maximum traction. They will rip right into ice and hook up very solidly. However, if you have the potential to damage asphalt or concrete, v-bars are probably not the way to go. A set for the rears only is probably fine as long as it's not super steep. If super steep maybe need all 4 chained.

I can give no input on non-v-bar chains as I have not used them much in snow and ice.

Hard to guess how extreme you'll have to go with the traction aids without knowing how steep. However, if you are dealing with all gravel, I would get a set of v-bar chains. v-bar chains dig into anything (including asphalt and concrete). If the tractor is staying on gravel v-bars will give you the maximum traction. They will rip right into ice and hook up very solidly. However, if you have the potential to damage asphalt or concrete, v-bars are probably not the way to go. A set for the rears only is probably fine as long as it's not super steep. If super steep maybe need all 4 chained.

I can give no input on non-v-bar chains as I have not used them much in snow and ice.

Hi there Hound,
I think your suggestions good. If I go this route I will get front & back. The back will be the expense. Might just get front too.
What's ball park $$s for chains? The 4110 is a full size compact, if that makes any sense.

Thanks for info......Coffeeman

/ 4110 , Mahindra. , how does it handle in snow with chains, 4 wheel dr ? #6  
I'd not considered any aspect of how a tractor drives "handling" until now. :)

FWIW, many report excellent results from grooving their R4's for use in snow, with pretty much zero drawback. I'd start there, since the grooving iron is less than a set of chains, and was reported to improve traction for most to the point that chains weren't even necessary... If that isn't enough, a set of chains for the front should take care of any remaining traction issues, and is, as you note WAY cheaper than chains for the back.

Tire grooving TBN Megathread
For the grooving tool, search "Ideal tire groover" on ebay. I think they're $80-100. I got two different blade widths for mine... One narrow, like 1/8" or slightly less, and one wider, perhaps almost 1/4". I have grooved almost every set of truck tires I've owned since I bought it. Helps me get another winter out of them after they're worn below 50%. :)

/ 4110 , Mahindra. , how does it handle in snow with chains, 4 wheel dr ? #7  
FWIW, many report excellent results from grooving their R4's for use in snow, with pretty much zero drawback. I'd start there, since the grooving iron is less than a set of chains, and was reported to improve traction for most to the point that chains weren't even necessary... If that isn't enough, a set of chains for the front should take care of any remaining traction issues, and is, as you note WAY cheaper than chains for the back.

Tire grooving TBN Megathread
For the grooving tool, search "Ideal tire groover" on ebay. I think they're $80-100. I got two different blade widths for mine... One narrow, like 1/8" or slightly less, and one wider, perhaps almost 1/4". I have grooved almost every set of truck tires I've owned since I bought it. Helps me get another winter out of them after they're worn below 50%. :)

Good suggestion, groove all 4 and get v-bar chains for the front for when it's really bad. This is actually the set-up I have, yet I have never put the chains on since grooving the tires. However, I only have a 5% grade on my driveway so not too steep.

/ 4110 , Mahindra. , how does it handle in snow with chains, 4 wheel dr ? #8  
I love my V-bar.
"Only" about $700.
Know your tire size and go to tirechains.com

I love my V-bar.
"Only" about $700.
Know your tire size and go to tirechains.com

That's a nice setup!
Have a nice Thanksgiving Coffeeman

/ 4110 , Mahindra. , how does it handle in snow with chains, 4 wheel dr ? #10  
Thanks (not shown is an ancient 7' land pride blade) and you too!