Oil & Fuel 4105 won’t start - probably a dumb question

/ 4105 won’t start - probably a dumb question #1  

SgtSluggo

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4105, Ford 1700
So, tried to start my 4105 for the first time in several months. It sounds to me like it will try to crank for just a second or two then go to just clicking.

I think I was dumb and forgot to put any stabilizer in the fuel that is in the tractor. Is this just stale fuel? Do I need to try to drain it, and if so, how?

If not, what else do I need to check? Fuel filter looks okay.

Thanks. Won’t forget the stabilizer next time.

/ 4105 won’t start - probably a dumb question #2  
Sounds like the battery is low. I'd get a charger on it. Curious, how old is the battery?

/ 4105 won’t start - probably a dumb question
Sounds like the battery is low. I'd get a charger on it. Curious, how old is the battery?

No idea actually. It looks like a JD brand battery, but I only bought it last summer. If there should be a date on it, then I can go look at it later.

/ 4105 won’t start - probably a dumb question #4  
Agree, sounds like time for a new battery.

/ 4105 won’t start - probably a dumb question #5  
Charge the battery. Clean terminals and connectors including frame ground. Reinstall cables and tighten securely. If it still goes to clicking replace the battery. If it's the original it's probably ten to fifteen years old.

/ 4105 won’t start - probably a dumb question
So, do I have to replace with the JD brand battery or is there a good way to figure out what the correct replacement is? My last tractor just had a car battery in it.

/ 4105 won’t start - probably a dumb question #7  
JD battery is a TY26498. That is a 22NF group size. Deere batteries are excellent quality so if you have a dealer nearby and the price is competitive I wouldn't hesitate to get one of theirs.
You should charge and load test or take it somewhere and have it tested your current battery. It might just need a charge.

Interstate Battery 22NF

NAPA 22NF

/ 4105 won’t start - probably a dumb question #8  
Do I need to try to drain it, and if so, how?
Before draining the tank, I'd put an inspection camera down into it just to see if it needs a clean/wiping out. After draining you can use a long-handled 'grab-it' with "Chux" (J-cloth).

Draining is easy. Have a large container ready to collect the fuel. Then un-clip the rubber(?) fuel line from the fuel bowl.

By the way, how does the fuel 'look' in the fuel bowl? The red floating disk, at the bottom, should be resting at the bottom if there's no water in the fuel.