40gpm log s[litter valve

/ 40gpm log s[litter valve #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
I have been looking for a valve with a return detent to use on my wood processor I am building. Plans are 2 cylinders and 40gpm flow. I found this valve, 3WAY DETENT, 4 WAY 4WAY (403D44PB) | Welcome to Buyers Products Company and am wondering if it will work like the smaller 25gpm prince valve you find on smaller wood splitters. Need advice before plunking down big dollars.

/ 40gpm log s[litter valve #2  
A three way detent means just that. The spool will detent in all three positions.

That means that if you put the valve in detent to split a log, it will split and keep providing pressure until detent is released.

If you pull it back to neutral, it will stay in neutral.

If you pull the lever to retract, the spool will stay in detent until you pull it back to neutral.

A regular log splitter valve has a push lever to split, and when you release the handle, the lever returns to neutral.

If you pull the lever to retract, the cyl retracts and when the rod is fully retracted, pressure, build up will cause the lever to shift back to neutral.

How do you want the valve to work?

Do you actually have a 40 GPM pump?

What size engine do you have to power that 40 GPM flow.

40 GPM at 2500 psi, will require about 68 HP

The valve you posted will not auto return..

/ 40gpm log s[litter valve
JJ, I am still gathering parts. I want a valve capable of handling 40gpm that works like a normal log splitting valve. Push and hold lever to split and pull lever and release but auto retract and shift to neutral as pressure builds up. . Not having much luck in finding such a valve. I might have to resort to using a spring centered valve

I will have 100hp available to run a 40gpm and a 30gpm pump, but both pumps wont be making high pressure at the same time. Still looking for engine and still looking for pumps. Found a 471 detroit, but dont want to listen to the racket those engines make, but the price is right. Engine aint going anywhere so I hope to run across a b4 cummings to do the build.

/ 40gpm log s[litter valve #4  
I don't believe anyone makes a 40 GPM log splitter valve.

If you can't find a lever valve would you be interested in solenoid valves and relays to shift the cyl extend and retract?

You can find large 12v solenoid valves.

You will probably will have other hyd functions, such as log loading, pushing log into cut position, hyd chain saw, splitting, conveyer, etc.

You can also find multiple pumps similar to this.

Supplier of Hydraulic pumps and hydraulic hoses, and other hydraulic parts.

I have considered solenoid valves and using relays and limit switches. In fact,I have a rexroth solenoid valve I intend to run the saw with. Rated at 30gpm and has built in relief. I have dealt with a lot of electric valves on equipment at work. I just dont like the ideal of hitting a button and everything being automatic when it comes to the splitter. Manual valves can screw up too, but not as common as electrical shorts.

Finding new pumps aint the problem, finding used pumps I can afford and will do what I need is. Right now I am looking at new 5 cuin pumps, surplus center has a few I can make work at reasonable prices. I dont think they have a stackable 30/40gpm pump tho. Need to go check that out now while its fresh on my mind. I'll also check out the link you provided and give them a call.

/ 40gpm log s[litter valve #6  
Muddstopper.. just how BIG of a splitter are you planing??? 40 gpm AND 30 gpm????

I am building a firewood processor. 60ton, twin 5in cylinders, multisplit wedges, capable of 27in dia splits. Saw is 1.3cuin procline gear motor at 25gpm, coupled to a 27in bar, .404 chain, 13tooth sprocket. Should yield 29hp and match the ftpm of a 3120, husquvarna, (less about 100ftpm), gas powered chainsaw. Cycle time for 24in stroke will be around 6sec. Plans also include a small knuckle boom with grapple mounted on processor for self loading of logs. Been planning and gathering parts for a few years know, just about ready to start the build. As always, money is whats slowing everything down.

/ 40gpm log s[litter valve #8  
do yourself a favor and use a multi sectional pump like JJ is suggesting. And remember the splitter only has to work as fast as you can feed it. Prince makes a processor valve that is rated to 30 or 35gpm. I know it will flow more so you may have to size your pump to the valve and cheat it a little. Who makes Procline? Do you have a Poclain piston motor by chance? If so they make HP by pressure and most of the processors I have supplied pumps to use 3000-3500psi bushing pumps. So consider that on sizing your pump. Also be aware of the RPM's of your prime mover, some of the smaller diesels turn 2800-3600RPM and that changes your GPM per RPM. I fixed a power unit because of the pump being sized at 2100 when the little turbocharged 125hp cummins was turning at 3200+. CJ

I'll have to check the spelling on the hydraulic motor. I intend to test the saw out before doing the rest of the build, I have already built the saw, just havent gotten around to mounting it on some sort of frame to do any testing.

I know what you mean about sizing the engine speed to the pump. One reason I am hesitant about going with the 471 detroit engine. It makes its hp at around 1800rpms, seems most of the pumps I am finding want to be spun faster.

Buying a new multi sectional pump is sort of out of the question right now, with that in mind, I am looking for used. Problem with looking for used is anything that has a sectional pump capable of pumping 30/40gpm is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Scrap yards around here have scraped out. If you do find any thing you can rob a sectional pump off of, you have to crawl in it, scrape off the grease, read the tag, and then research the numbers to see what size the pump actually is. Been there, done that, and am getting fustrated.

/ 40gpm log s[litter valve #10  
I'll have to check the spelling on the hydraulic motor. I intend to test the saw out before doing the rest of the build, I have already built the saw, just havent gotten around to mounting it on some sort of frame to do any testing.

I know what you mean about sizing the engine speed to the pump. One reason I am hesitant about going with the 471 detroit engine. It makes its hp at around 1800rpms, seems most of the pumps I am finding want to be spun faster.

Buying a new multi sectional pump is sort of out of the question right now, with that in mind, I am looking for used. Problem with looking for used is anything that has a sectional pump capable of pumping 30/40gpm is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Scrap yards around here have scraped out. If you do find any thing you can rob a sectional pump off of, you have to crawl in it, scrape off the grease, read the tag, and then research the numbers to see what size the pump actually is. Been there, done that, and am getting fustrated.

Actually no, most gear pumps have a minimum of around 400-500rpm to work efficiently. Most gear pumps of any size are 2400rpm max, you can cheat them to 3000rpm but each application is different. As far as your Detroit it is actually a good engine to drive hydraulics with. Either idle or wide open. Lately I have been switching out detroits for either cummins or older cats. Anyway once you get your requirements we can go from there. CJ