Buying Advice 4066R

/ 4066R #1  

Herb Richards

Tractor
4720-3720-720
I'm thinking of buying a new 4066R. Is there any good or bad items with this model?:confused:

/ 4066R #2  
IDK. I'm no expert as I never considered a tractor in its class, but from looking at them on the dealer lot they look to be a very nice large/compact tractor. I believe they're supposed to be a good machine.

They seem to be rather pricey so make sure you pay attention to the asking price and compare it to other tractors in its class. I've seen online where people were asking is a new cabbed 4066R at $49K a better buy than a new cabbed 5075E at like $43K or $44K. I'm sorry but IMO no. I don't care if one ends with an E, and the other a R or not. It's a lighter duty/ smaller framed tractor that's ultimately less capable, and the E models are plenty nice enough to keep you comfortable, and with most of the important niceties and conveniences one might need especially in the smaller size classes. Just like I wouldn't pay more for a new 5R series than a new 6E series as they are ultimately less capable machines. I also wouldn't spend more for a new F150 King Ranch than I would a new F250 Lariat.

If you find one for a good price then they seem to be nice little tractors IMHO. I'd look seriously at one if I was looking for a tractor in its class.

/ 4066R #3  
my understanding is this is a relatively new model, with a number of
new options, some of which I find very attractive.
The ability to raise and lower the three point hitch from the rear is excellent on this size tractor, but that little inching control to move the tractor back and forth is seriously cool. For me at least, a senior with physical limitations that make hooking up implements often impossible without help.

So you have a hydrostatic tractor with what I believe is the highest hp rating among SCUTS, and then you combine it with
some brand new features. The real issue is what the bottom line is like after you buy all the expensive hydraulics to run a grapple up front and a tnt in the rear.

Instead of a 4720 I bought the competitive L5740 Kubota. But this new model may be worth paying more for.
Not all of us row crop where we need most bang for the buck weight or pick up heavy hay bales. Honestly don't think most folks use a tractor this size to earn a living, other than landscapers. I need to stick with a hydro and since I already have a X750 hydro Yanmar that works flawlessly, the 4066R caught my eye.

Would be really helpful if someone who actually owns one reports on it.

/ 4066R #4  
There are a few over on GTT. Everyone that has one, seems to like them. I sure like my 4720, 6 years and1400 hours without any trouble. The 4066r is pretty similar..but more bling!

/ 4066R #5  
I almost bought the 4720, seat for sure was more comfortable and at the time it was only about 3 or 4k more.
I have a bum right arm, makes hooking up implements very difficult for me, and I have lost count how many times I have gotten up into the Kubota cab, and down, up and down, to hook up an implement. Even if you open the rear window you can't reach the hydraulic controls. Extendable forks are a huge improvement (my Masseys don't have them) as my days of horsing a heavy disc around with a crow bar to line things up are coming to a close.

It looks like JD is doing what the car folks have done. Bring all the extra features down to a smaller package.
And if they can get someone to pay fifty grand for what arguably isn't a very large tractor, and everyone goes home happy, well
why not. I bought a new Audi Q5 when I could have paid literally half for a Chevrolet. Sit inside one and you know you are in a very different car.
Was it worth it buying by the pound? When I could have bought a loaded used Suburban instead? That would have held 8 passengers instead of 5?

those 5E JD's I thought were only open cabs and most came from India, like my Massey. Somewhat crude but unbreakable. Just like farmers want them. I also think they are one of the best looking tractors out there, honest looking. (I also like NH Workmasters design) But after driving my all manual Massey for hours on end out in the fields, I'm ready for some cruise control and a/c thank you. And to afford that, yes I have to buy a smaller tractor. What do I really want?
A JD 6M. That would be a lottery ticket tractor for me.

I always liked the cloth seat on the JD. Kept you from sliding around. Kubota's oem seats are just dreadful, hard as rocks. My neighbor borrowed my Kubota yesterday for three hours and mentioned when he brought it back his butt was numb. Once you've had a decent suspension seat, even the inexpensive Michigan seat ones, not the expensive Grammers, hard to go back to a stock seat. Remember I'm a senior with severe arthritis and looking for some comfort in my ride. Otherwise I couldn't use the tractor.

Long winded reply to suggest there is a shoe for every foot. Could anyone consider a "gold plated" R model to be high value?
Not likely, unless....it had a feature that just made your day. And every day you used your tractor.

Number one reason I bought the Kubota instead of the JD was that the dealer was closer and better, returned phone calls promptly, acted like they were interested in my business. Well I guess times haven't changed. I left a message for the only JD salesman yesterday morning to call me back about a new tractor, and no return phone call by end of day.

/ 4066R
Thanks for all the replies and I agree with all of them. I'm an old fart to so I know what you say is true.
Herb

I almost bought the 4720, seat for sure was more comfortable and at the time it was only about 3 or 4k more.
I have a bum right arm, makes hooking up implements very difficult for me, and I have lost count how many times I have gotten up into the Kubota cab, and down, up and down, to hook up an implement. Even if you open the rear window you can't reach the hydraulic controls. Extendable forks are a huge improvement (my Masseys don't have them) as my days of horsing a heavy disc around with a crow bar to line things up are coming to a close.

It looks like JD is doing what the car folks have done. Bring all the extra features down to a smaller package.
And if they can get someone to pay fifty grand for what arguably isn't a very large tractor, and everyone goes home happy, well
why not. I bought a new Audi Q5 when I could have paid literally half for a Chevrolet. Sit inside one and you know you are in a very different car.
Was it worth it buying by the pound? When I could have bought a loaded used Suburban instead? That would have held 8 passengers instead of 5?
those 5E JD's I thought were only open cabs and most came from India, like my Massey. Somewhat crude but unbreakable. Just like farmers want them. I also think they are one of the best looking tractors out there, honest looking. (I also like NH Workmasters design) But after driving my all manual Massey for hours on end out in the fields, I'm ready for some cruise control and a/c thank you. And to afford that, yes I have to buy a smaller tractor. What do I really want?

I always liked the cloth seat on the JD. Kept you from sliding around. Kubota's oem seats are just dreadful, hard as rocks. My neighbor borrowed my Kubota yesterday for three hours and mentioned when he brought it back his butt was numb. Once you've had a decent suspension seat, even the inexpensive Michigan seat ones, not the expensive Grammers, hard to go back to a stock seat. Remember I'm a senior with severe arthritis and looking for some comfort in my ride. Otherwise I couldn't use the tractor.

Long winded reply to suggest there is a shoe for every foot. Could anyone consider a "gold plated" R model to be high value?
Not likely, unless....it had a feature that just made your day. And every day you used your tractor.

Number one reason I bought the Kubota instead of the JD was that the dealer was closer and better, returned phone calls promptly, acted like they were interested in my business. Well I guess times haven't changed. I left a message for the only JD salesman yesterday morning to call me back about a new tractor, and no return phone call by end of day.

/ 4066R #7  

The cabbed 5E series has all the niceities of a 4R as far as I could tell. The R on the 4R isn't quite the same as the R on the 6R/7R/8R tractors. A/C, radio, heat, comfortable seat, good control layout plus all the other features the open station tractor has like ePTO, 540E, tilt steering, 12x12 powershuttle, wet clutch, etc.

These are things that kept me from buying a 2607H which I was quoted slightly more for than the JD. The MF 2600 series lacks these niceties that the 5E series has plus other simply things like a cup holder, large seat, flatter and more spaced out operates deck, and a hand throttle mounted on the fender. Granted some of these things didn't happen for the 5E until the 2018 models like the flatter/larger desk and hand throttle on the fender. Also the 5E's 3PH and FEL are rated much better the the ones on the 2600H series. The benefits of the 2600H is a little bit more weight, (about 200 lbs compared to the counterpart 5E models) an extra rear remote is standard, better looks (yes I agree the 2600 MF's are easily the best looking tractors in their class) and most importantly, no DPF. Also the FEL uses skidsteer mounts and the combination of cat1 and 2 3PH hookups is a neat feature as well. Still the 5E was just a much nicer tractor and it drove/handled better IMO.

The 5E's main competition is the Kubota M series whether open station or cabbed. If you compare and drive both you will see exactly what I mean as they are very similar. What kept me from buying the Kubota is I'm an American and don't get caught up in that Japanese trap stuff, or at the very least my bias favors American companies. Plus I honest liked the 5075E better overall than the M7060 even though both tractor had certain edges over the other, but overall they are very similar machines and the area's where one model had an advantage over the other it wasn't by much.

Both my local JD and Kubota dealers are excellent and convenient. The 5E's parts are made in India and put together at the JD plant in Grovetown, (Augusta) GA. My wife has 2 cousins that work there, and they run down an assembly line being pieced together here in the southeast.

I'm not saying not to buy a 4066R. It's a nice tractor in it's class of tractor. I'm just saying look out for the cost that people charge for them. CUT tractor are popular so dealers tend to mark them up. If you can tell much a difference between a 4R and a 5E in terms of features and how nice it is then you are better than me. Personally I find the open station 5E (at least the 2018 models) to be even nicers than the open station 4R or at least more comfortable but it's a larger machine so there's more room in the operator station. (Again the 2018 5E has much improved operator comfort over the earlier 5E models. So much so that I waits for months for a 18 instead of an old 5E) A 5E series should be a more expensive tractor and if a dealer is trying to charge thousands more for a 4R (lets specify that to 5075E vs 4066R) you should tell them to have a nice day. A larger more capable tractor that's as nice or very close to being as nice as a smaller, less powerful tractor, less capable, and less robust in the items like axles, etc, etc shouldn't be cheaper than the smaller tractor. Generally you pay for more. Would I pay more for a 5075M than I would a 5100E? Probably not. Right now I'm wishing for a larger 100 HP machine.

A F-15 might be your favorite fighter ever, and its air-to-air record speaks for itself, but only a fool would pay more for an F-15 than a F-22. The value is just not there. If you want to pay $50K for a CUT then that's your business whether you want to or not. I'm just giving my opinion that that is too much for a compact utility tractor when you can get larger AG-utility tractor from the same company for noticeably less.

Also show me a nicer tractor that's a direct competitor to the 5E. I haven't seen one. Especially not one that just just out at you that it's better. It's very competitive with its competitors in its size and power classes. The M and R series tractors are a step up from what most of the competition even offers in say the sub-100 HP class. The E series are these other brands main competition so my point being is people way over-exaggerate just how base model the JD E tractors are. They are extremely nicely optioned for a "base" model tractor.

/ 4066R #8  
my interest was solely sparked by the new availability of external hitch controls and tractor motion on rear fender.
For me it's not a bell or whistle at all, for many it would be.
And it's never, to my knowledge, been available on a SCUT or even a CUT.

There are no 4R's available locally apparently. Dealer told me to wait until October when new announcements were coming out.
Can't imagine with tariff realities any new news can avoid an announcement on price increases.
Bottom line is there are currently zero incentives on buying a 4R. No discounts, no cheap financing.
I'm guessing they can't build them fast enough.
I need a hydrostatic transmission due to not being able to regularly clutch using my legs due to cramping; with hydro I can drive with a hand control. Only time I use the clutch is to start the tractor.
That limits me to the 60hp range, and this JD is the highest hp rated hydrostatic I believe currently available.

put a hydro trans on a 5E with a cab and I'd likely buy it tomorrow. Of course, does it have those nice little rear controls?
But price an upper end 5 series to get comparable features and the price just becomes totally unaffordable. And for all I know Agco is charging the same but JD sure has the reputation for being the highest price brand out there.
A comparable Massey is an Iseki, a NH a ? Shibauru? A Kubota is a Kubota, only one like Deere like that, and almost unique in making all its
own smaller tractors. Everyone else is designing hood labels.

I agree the 5E's are heavier frame Indian tractors made to the highest spec and offer very high value, supported by
usually top notch service. They and the NH Workmasters seem to occupy a similar space.

/ 4066R #9  
my interest was solely sparked by the new availability of external hitch controls and tractor motion on rear fender.
For me it's not a bell or whistle at all, for many it would be.
And it's never, to my knowledge, been available on a SCUT or even a CUT.

There are no 4R's available locally apparently. Dealer told me to wait until October when new announcements were coming out.
Can't imagine with tariff realities any new news can avoid an announcement on price increases.
Bottom line is there are currently zero incentives on buying a 4R. No discounts, no cheap financing.
I'm guessing they can't build them fast enough.
I need a hydrostatic transmission due to not being able to regularly clutch using my legs due to cramping; with hydro I can drive with a hand control. Only time I use the clutch is to start the tractor.
That limits me to the 60hp range, and this JD is the highest hp rated hydrostatic I believe currently available.

put a hydro trans on a 5E with a cab and I'd likely buy it tomorrow. Of course, does it have those nice little rear controls?
But price an upper end 5 series to get comparable features and the price just becomes totally unaffordable. And for all I know Agco is charging the same but JD sure has the reputation for being the highest price brand out there.
A comparable Massey is an Iseki, a NH a ? Shibauru? A Kubota is a Kubota, only one like Deere like that, and almost unique in making all its
own smaller tractors. Everyone else is designing hood labels.

I agree the 5E's are heavier frame Indian tractors made to the highest spec and offer very high value, supported by
usually top notch service. They and the NH Workmasters seem to occupy a similar space.

NH is NH in the Workmaster 50-70 which is actually owned by CNH which also make Case. The case equivalent is the Farmall A series. Nice rugged no frills tractors. Not quiet as nice a layout as the JD 5E series but the lay out is very good and simple. Also, CNH is about to release a new NH Workmaster/Case Farmall A series 55, 65, 75 HP tractor that is a huge upgrade over the previous Workmaster/Famall A. No pricing yet and NH has just announced it, but no brochure yet. I did happen to find one on the brother Case Farmalls though. They are pretty much a slightly different version of the T4 series with some great specs. It's caught my eye.

Here is a link to download a brochure of it with the specs. The NH Workmaster will be the same, just Blue.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...google.com/url?sa=t&sour...D4fL2G0DWez6Lw

On the 4R series, I can't say much as when I was looking I wanted a Utility frame tractor so I went one size up when testing. I will say they are very nice with some great creature comforts and everyone I know that has them love them with no issues.

/ 4066R #10  
I admit I've always been a sucker for those larger front tires on the 4WD 5's and Workmasters. Those tractors just look right.
The front tires on my Kubota are wimpy and with a load in the bucket the R4's will gladly imprint on a soft lawn. I always wondered why Kubota didn't put bigger tires up there, but look at a JD 4; the tires are exactly the same so I'm sure the engineering is pretty well thought out.
The real challenge is these tractors are actually not very big, take the cab off and about half your tractor disappears. And not overly heavy, which is great for loader work over top of the lawn, but less fine when pulling a maxxed out disc out in the field.

If someone made a 70-100 horse 6000 pound (bare) utility tractor with a cab and hydro, I'd be first in line.
Makes me wonder how IVT did for Agco, I think they brought that down to a lower hp range than others.
IVT sounds expensive, but maybe not more than hydro. And it must be more efficient. But if I still have to use a foot clutch
during normal operations, it doesn't work for me.

I have pulled my disc using both a 49hp Massey 2wd and a 57hp Kubota 4wd. With a full bucket of dirt in the FEL to put extra weight on the front wheels, I had no problem pulling that disc. Nor did the Massey. Though somehow the Massey seemed happier doing it, like it belonged out there while the Kubota should be getting waxed on the lawn... :D I'm only a play farmer, growing food for local food pantry, so if I can't pull at disc at 10mph, who cares. That's probably the hardest job I'll give a tractor. But going into Low range, pushing the cruise control lever forward to the right speed, adjusting the a/c and radio, this is how I want to work in that dusty and bug filled field. Yes it's also fun to be out in an open cab, like being on a motorcycle..., but geez when those bugs start jumping on my legs every few seconds, it's not fun at all. Summer here runs heat indexes in the 110's and 120's pretty often. That's when I go out and mow roadsides in the cab tractor. I appreciate that cool air every time I get out to pick up trash. I refuse to mow trash...so I wind up picking up much of the local community's roadside trash.

Now there's a new attachment someone needs to design. Something that sucks up fast food wrappers, beer cans and dip tins before you hit them...