401k Owners !!

/ 401k Owners !! #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
NOW is the time to up your 401k contribution for a couple months. The market has taken a huge hit and dropped 4-8% over the past week. What that means is that the average price of a share of stock has dropped that much. Some has dropped more, some less.

But the market ALWAYS comes back. So the mutual fund that lost 8% of its' value yesterday will quickly regain that value during the next year if the market follows its' usual trend.

So every dollar you put in now will buy more shares that SHOULD quickly regain their lost value. That means a dollar invested will jump to a dollar and a dime very quickly.

I missed this time. I didn't expect a correction until the end of the year. So I am hung out and still invested in growth funds. The last correction before this one was a year late in my reckoning. So I went heavy in value funds and kept too much in bonds. So I didn't earn as much as I should have for a year.

Oh well. I have still made out like a bandit since I retired in 2011. I have withdrawn and spent nearly half the value of what I had at that date and was well on my way to regaining the original sums. And NOBODY can predict what the market will do. They can guess, and hope, buy not successfully predict.

Take everything I have said above with a grain of salt and make your own decisions. I am basing what I have said on events over the past thirty years.

Clear as mud, isn't it.

RSKY

/ 401k Owners !! #2  
I am a 401K plan owner. I am trying to retire in 13 or 14 months. I think I will give the market a month or so before uping my contribution. I have over the last 6 months switched my account to a much more safe group of stocks so I should not see to much fluxuation. But more money in my retirement will be good.

/ 401k Owners !! #4  
But the market ALWAYS comes back.

While generally true, you fail to mention there have been periods where it takes nearly a decade to do so.

And had you bought into the Japanese Nikkei (their "Dow") in the 90's at 39,000, you would still be waiting....it's around 23,000 currently almost 30 years later.

/ 401k Owners !!
While generally true, you fail to mention there have been periods where it takes nearly a decade to do so.

And had you bought into the Japanese Nikkei (their "Dow") in the 90's at 39,000, you would still be waiting....it's around 23,000 currently almost 30 years later.

This is true. I was thinking of my daughters who are 30 & 35 when I wrote the post. A few extra dollars put in now can make a huge difference in 20-30 years.

The guy posting above who is retiring in a year should not go hog wild changing everything.

A 25-year old can make the difference between retiring at 60 or 65 by increasing his contributions during market downturns.

As they say, I am not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

I am not a stock expert, I just rely on what has worked well for me over the years.

RSKY

/ 401k Owners !! #6  
Changing the amount input isn't as nice as shifting the amounts or rebalancing. This small correction isn't enough for me to do much though. In the past I will move the little I have in more conservative investments into the more aggressive which have just taken a large hit.

/ 401k Owners !! #8  
And NOBODY can predict what the market will do.

RSKY

It's going to crash and we will have another full blown recession by the end of 2019.

/ 401k Owners !!
It's going to crash and we will have another full blown recession by the end of 2019.

I certainly hope not.

Everything I have read says that the crash in 29 or 30 or whenever started out no worse than other corrections that had come before it. The problems were twofold. First, many people were investing in the market with borrowed money. Second, the government jumped in and tried to help and of course made things much worse.

Hopefully this will never happen again.

RSKY

/ 401k Owners !! #10  
Looks like half of yesterdays drop was gained back today. Hard to move things in that small amount of time.