400lbs of Lucas red n tacky?

/ 400lbs of Lucas red n tacky? #11  
I have NEVER heard of a 55 gallon drum of grease, ever. To the best of my knowledge it only comes in 150 pound open headed drums and the drums are basically 15 gallon drums, not 55 gallon.

Of course if all you use is grease cartridges, then I would have to assume you know nothing about how bulk grease is contained.

/ 400lbs of Lucas red n tacky? #12  
   / 400lbs of Lucas red n tacky? #13  
I have NEVER heard of a 55 gallon drum of grease, ever. To the best of my knowledge it only comes in 150 pound open headed drums and the drums are basically 15 gallon drums, not 55 gallon.

Of course if all you use is grease cartridges, then I would have to assume you know nothing about how bulk grease is contained.

A pint a pound... more or less for water. Grease should be slightly lower density.

So 8 pounds to a gallon.

400 lbs should be about 50 gallons more or less.

I see Lucas sells:
35 lb pail (5 gallons)
120 lb keg (15 gallons)
400 lb drum (50 gallons)

It looks like the drum should be about $2,000, so getting it for around $1,000 sounds like quite a deal, assuming it is genuine Lucas.

/ 400lbs of Lucas red n tacky? #14  
Hit up your friends. Maybe they will chip in on a tub or two from your great purchase.
I am thinking use some of the Mrs older tupperware for containers to take out of the shop.

Have fun!

/ 400lbs of Lucas red n tacky? #15  
The company I buy from only sells 120 drums, like I said, never heard of a 55 but I'd imagine it weighs a lot and who knows what shipping will cost either.

I grease a ton of equipment and my 120's last me a couple years. I cannot imagine how long a 400 pound 55 gallon drum would last.

I also cannot imagine shoveling it out of the drum and putting it in Tupperware containers for 'friends'. That in itself sounds extremely messy, kind of like changing grease tubes times 1000....

I am curious as to how the 'friends' would fill their grease guns with it as well. That sounds like another circle jerk to me.

Like I said, a 120 pound drum 'Keg' lasts me a couple years.

My 120's fit on a roll around base as well so I can roll the drum and grease attachment anywhere in the shop and hook up the air to it.

In my view, a 55 gallon drum is an insane amount of grease.

Last edited:
   / 400lbs of Lucas red n tacky?
Looks like BG products has a solution to fill tubes from a 55gallon drum. My neighbor is a dealer for them so I’ll check him first.

I think @5030 from now on when you chime in a thread with “I only fill from bulk” I can reply “well I only fill from a 55gallon bulk”.

/ 400lbs of Lucas red n tacky? #18  
wonder if grease hardens over time, maybe only when air exposed

/ 400lbs of Lucas red n tacky? #19  
IIRC they used to sell it in a pretty drum with special graphic, now it looks like a plain drum with an 8"x10" sticker.
The fancier drum was on my wish list.

It wasn’t a question of if it would be used it was a question of, can I use it properly. Once I saw the caps that basically turned the barrel into a grease gun for filling tubes it was on.

When both excavators, the plow and the drill are running a decent amount of grease is used each week.

Last edited: