3X20 Series, kinda of a letdown/relief!

/ 3X20 Series, kinda of a letdown/relief! #1  

Tractors4u

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere 4310, Kubota L355, John Deere SST18 Spin Steer, 2006 Polaris Ranger
I bought my JD 4310 in November of 2003. I have been really happy with it so far. I was disgusted to find out that Deere was coming out with a new and improved model. I got thinking "what if it is better than mine" "how will I convince Mrs. Tractors4u that I need to upgrade?" Well I just got back from the National Farm MAchinary Show in Louisville Kentucky about 2 hours ago. I looked over the 3X20 series and was relieved. There are no super high tech can't live without upgrades that I could find. Yes there are a few changes and the looks have clearly changed, but I really can't figure out what all the hoopla is all about. To be fair, I have not looked at the engine specs, hydraulic pump output and such. I do like the 300 loaders.

The first pic shows the grill guard on the 300X loader. I like that. Also notice the bucket level indicator. That is much better than the old style.

Attachments

• 588862-Resized_3320 Grill Guard.jpg
    588862-Resized_3320 Grill Guard.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 741
   / 3X20 Series, kinda of a letdown/relief!
I may have sounded a little harsh in my first thread. Don't get me wrong, the new series is nice but they are not as different as I thought they would be.

Here is another change. I heard that the new ones had an "automotive style" parking brake. Well here it is, along with the 4WD engagement lever and the differential lock. Yep, the diff lock is on the LEFT side. I believe every tractor I have ever been on has had it on the right.

Attachments

• 588866-Resized_3320 Brake diff lock.jpg
    588866-Resized_3320 Brake diff lock.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 632
Here is a picture of the dashboard and steering wheel. OK, to me a dashboard is a dashboard. The real improvement here is the tilt steering wheel. It is much easier and feels strudier. I almost didn't buy my 4310 because the 4310's felt so flimsy. After about 30-40 hours my tractor went to shop because the tilt wheel locked in the down position. The ignition switch has been moved to the center of the console.

Attachments

• 588870-Resized_3320 Dash.jpg
    588870-Resized_3320 Dash.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 589
One last photo, 3120 rear from an angle.

Attachments

• 588872-Resized_3120 rear angle.jpg
    588872-Resized_3120 rear angle.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 603
   / 3X20 Series, kinda of a letdown/relief! #5  
Brent,
My understanding is that the new 3000 series' main advantage over the 4000 series we have (I also have a 4310) is under the hood. The new Yanmar engines, especially those in the 3520 and 3720 are supposedly much more powerful than the 4310 and 4410 they replace. The proof is still to come though. With 44.5 HP and a lot more torque, the 3720 has a power/weight ratio that approaches a 2210, but in a much larger package. To me, this would be the only reason to trade, but it is important, especially if one does a lot of transport work, as I do. I think it would be less important if the majority of work is low speed or loader work, which my current machine does well. I have tentatively ordered a 3720 to replace my 4310. If I actually get it, I will keep TBN posters notified on any measurable difference. I have only had my 4310 three months and am quite pleased with it, but I am a power junkie and must have more!!! Thankfully, I had already gotten the 300cx loader and will not have to upgrade any attachments. As far as hydraulics, they are identical. The only difference I could note is when using them while moving forward under heavy load, the more powerful engines may power the pump better, making for quicker cycles while under load, but that's it. Finally, do the new tractors really have smaller tires, or is that a visual illusion? Thanks.

John M.

They looked smaller to me, but I didn't actually check the sizes on the tires. The R4 tires had a slightly different tread also.

/ 3X20 Series, kinda of a letdown/relief! #7  
My 4300 has the diff lock on the left side. I don't think using the forward HST pedal with the right foot would permit the diff lock to be anywhere else, but the left side. Operate it with my heel when needed.
The Park brake looks the same as my 4300. Guess that is an indication it works well there.
I am looking forward to doing some more serious comparison with the new 3x20 series as compared to my '99 4300. So far, I am pleased with the new line.

/ 3X20 Series, kinda of a letdown/relief! #8  
WHAT! They did not upgrade the seat color? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ 3X20 Series, kinda of a letdown/relief! #9  
Hoopla is very important to sell product, in this case the 3000 Series. (You NEED a new 3000 Series, that old 4310 is a fossil.)
I picked up a 4310 in July 2003 and have been very happy with it. More would be better but at what price? Pricing out a new comparable model (3320) and optioning it out like mine is, then figuring only 15% off list since it's a new model, I end up with the new 3320 costing $3000 more than what I paid for my 4310. Then factor in the depreciation I've already soaked up and it's $5k to change to the same tractor, two years newer. As a Deere stockholder I'm ecstatic, as a Deere owner I'm glad I bought when I did.
When you buy a John Deere one thing is certain; that with 168 years of continuous improvement of the product line what you buy today (or in my case, 2003) is going to be superceded by the new & improved "must-have" product. But "new" comes at a price, in this case an increased list price. That's when each must decide if he needs the latest "bling". For me, I'm a 4310 "lifer" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 3X20 Series, kinda of a letdown/relief! #10  
I guess I am the most guilty party, here... I dug up all the info I could on the TWENTYs. I have to admit, I like seeing what's next...

I think the TWENTYs are great machines. In addition to the other performance issues mentioned, they will also be QUIETER. No doubt, the 300CX loader looks to be amazing.

But, the TENs are great machines, too. If one is looking to buy new, its a tricky choice, if you are able to get a TEN with great incentives, compared to a TWENTY. Either way you get the cool loader.

But it doesn't look like the TWENTYs will make us all want to trade out of our TENs. That's OK, there is nothing wrong with them.

Especially with the nice yellow seats. They keep <font color="orange"> Vermin </font>away!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif