3pt trailer hitch

/ 3pt trailer hitch #1  

PBMAX

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC21D
I know we talked about this before I just wanted to post what I use it's well made and cost $36 including the ball.Made here in Boaz,AL by Lowerys a local implement manudfacturer.With a realy good rep...I guess it weighs abotut 30lbs.

Laziness is the Father of invention.../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif
Lil' Paul
Proud owner of TC21D<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by pburns on 07/24/01 02:02 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

Attachments

• 5-58954-3pttraler.jpg
    5-58954-3pttraler.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 591
   / 3pt trailer hitch
just a diff view

Lil' Paul
Proud owner of TC21D

Attachments

• 5-58955-3pttrailer2.jpg
    5-58955-3pttrailer2.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 399
   / 3pt trailer hitch #3  
<font color=blue>...cost $36 including the ball....</font color=blue>

Paul,

Please post the address and phone # of mfr., looks like an absolute bargain! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ 3pt trailer hitch
yeap $36+tax(8%)locally thats what $38.90. $29.95 for the hitch,$5.95 for the ball (2")with 3/4 shaft.The mounting whole is 1" so I put some really thick washers on both sides.
Lowerys Manufacturing -----------ph#256-593-8842
------------address -----------145 Alabama Highway 179
---------------------------------Boaz,Alabama 35957

If they dont have one they have a direct out let there in town also .
Boaz Lawn & Garden
Phone on card is -------256-840-9090 If that doesnt work Lowerys can probable give it to you.
thier address is---------269 U.S. Highway 431
------------------------Boaz,Al 35957.

I called Lowerys just now they were open by 7:30(central) WOW!!!The young lady that answerd said they had no problems shipping the lighter stuff like this but we didn't get into any detail...The outlet has one on a 19 hp or so Yanmar but they have welded a ball to the top to move fith wheel(goose neck)trailers around with also...

Lil' Paul
Proud owner of TC21D

/ 3pt trailer hitch
also though about getting a ball I have seen at Walmart that has 3 diff ball sizes.For one mount.Some sort of quick disconnect set up...for About $25.But as of yet haven't need anything but a 2" ball.

Lil' Paul
Proud owner of TC21D

/ 3pt trailer hitch #6  
Lil' Paul, I've been using a convert-a-ball for years. I have two of the shanks; one for the pickup and one for the tractor; one is 1" and the other 3/4", and have the 1 7/8", 2", and 2 5/16" balls. I think any trailer hitch place, Tractor Supply Co., and lots of other places like Walmart have them.

Bird

/ 3pt trailer hitch #7  
Bird - Likewise. On the truck, I have the 1" stainless steel Cat 5 version, plus a spare in the toolbox (don't ask me why...). On the Freedom Hitch adapter, I have a 3/4" standard one.

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ 3pt trailer hitch
RAllen metioned an adapter that would let you use a 2" reciever(in another post)? So I went out and looked a little closer at my hitch.It is made of 3" square tubing and appears to 1/4 inch thick material.The horizontil the tongue(also looks 1/4") is mounted on is 6" deep.I'm thinking,if you have a mind to.You could cut off the tongue leaving the end open you could pull your hitch off your pick up and drill a whole all the way through for your locking pin and DARE YOU GOES....assuming 6" is deep enough...I think mabye I'll call them mon-yana and see what they say about making one that way...

Also any body have any thoughts about welding one of those coverta bals to the box blade?I know it would only really be handy just to move an empty or lightly loaded trailer.But sence I figure most of us prob leave the box on for FEL balest it would be convinient...

Lil' Paul
Proud owner of TC21D

/ 3pt trailer hitch #9  
For all: What circumstances would suggest using the 3 pt trailer hitch if you've already got a draw bar? Seem like the draw bar would always be in the correct alignment vis-a-vis the axle. Trying to learn.
Chas

/ 3pt trailer hitch #10  
Chas, you're right about the draw bar; probably the "best" and safest way to pull a trailer. However, using the 3-point hitch also has several advantages: (1) it's quicker to hook up and unhook, since you can back up to the trailer with the 3-point lowered and raise it to hook up, instead of cranking the tongue jack up and down on the trailer, (2) it puts the pivot point farther back which is an advantage in some cases; perhaps a disadvantage in others, and (3) having the pivot point farther back frequently allows for tighter turns, and (4) you can raise or lower the 3-point to precisely level (or tilt) the trailer. I've towed trailers both ways with my tractor, and much prefer the 3-point hitch.

Bird