3pt logging hitch

/ 3pt logging hitch #1  

beenthere

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_425, JD_455 AWS, added JD_455, JD_110, JD_X485(sold)
A simple logging hitch shown on an 8N Ford, using just a chain looped around the log with the chain slipped into slots in the top plate.

Attachments

• 430479-8nLogHitch.JPG
    430479-8nLogHitch.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 718
   / 3pt logging hitch #2  
   / 3pt logging hitch
Yep, good point. Gotta be real careful with everything.

/ 3pt logging hitch #4  
I see a "fixed length" toplink, but there doesn't appear to be any sway bars. Surprised there aren't any dings in the fenders from the turns. BTW, cool picture.

/ 3pt logging hitch #5  
I like the picture too, particularly the tyre tread pattern. Do you think the driver is off to the tractor shop with his cheque book in his back pocket?

/ 3pt logging hitch #6  
Several years ago the large granite rock I was towing down a 15 degree slow almost got away. Fortunately had anticipated the problem and was headed straight downhill and was able to keep tractor and rock in line. Just one frighting second or two or three while I was wondering if Jumping was the next move.

Last week I pulled a fresh cut section of maple log, 10 ft. x 30 inches, from across the street home. In about 150 feet several links of 3/8 chain were worn out on the pavement and the chain broke. [ brand new chain first use] This was also on a very steep street. Fortunetly the log did not roll and I had several wedges to keep it in place while another chain was attached. Again a surprise and again lucky.

Just several of the many stupid things that I managed to get out of by luck.

Egon

/ 3pt logging hitch #7  
I thought they had "sway chains" on the 8N and it looks like that is the case here. At lease that appears to be a sway limiting chain on the right side. It's been a long time since I have been on a 8N.
Leo

/ 3pt logging hitch #8  
<font color="blue"> Just several of the many stupid things that I managed to get out of by luck </font>

Luck or someone with higher power was looking out for you. I turned over a 40T JD Tractor with loader and my 14 year old son was riding on the fender, we both baled off and beat the tractor to the bottom of the hill. No injury to us and only a bent steering wheel and broke muffler on the tractor(seems the loader frame protected the tractor sheetmetal)--I still have the tractor 25 years later, overhauled,painted it and put it out to pasture. Just like a good old workhorse that has served his owner well over time--Ken Sweet
Sweet Farm Equipment LLC *36-48-56-60-74-80-92 inch First Choice Orange Roto Tillers in Stock*

/ 3pt logging hitch
As em14 pointed out, there are sway chains (not bars). One (rt side) can be seen just ahead of the log. They both attach to the lift arms and to straps bolted on each side of the PTO shaft. The left side chain is visible, but difficult to see because the view is almost straight down the length of the chain.

/ 3pt logging hitch #10  
Right. And the chains allow for a lot of side to side movement. Sway bars were an add-on to severely limit the play. In the attached pic. the yellow arrow shows where the sway bars would mount. I liberated the photo from John Smith's 8N tractor stuff.

Attachments

• 430748-8N.gif
    430748-8N.gif
    25.3 KB · Views: 221