3pt Hitch on the Front?

/ 3pt Hitch on the Front? #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
[/SIZE]I'm wondering how many of us have tried using a 3pt hitch on the front of their tractor?
Most implements are reversible, so it is theoretically possible to run them from a 3pt hitch on the front of the tractor as the Europeans do. Pictures I've seen of European tractors used on hillside farms in mountainous country seem to commonly have a 3pt hitch on both ends.

the USA has a lot more flat ground than Europe, and maybe that is why our tractors became fixated as pulling machines. It does seem mechanically simpler to pull rather than push.

But it would sure would to be nice to operate an implement without having to constantly look over my shoulder.

There's no front 3pt on our M59, but it does have a heavily built FEL, so I've tried to operate some implements using the FEL quick attach 3pt hitch - but without much luck. I admit not having put much time into it yet and sort of hoping that someone else has solved some of the problems.

Basically the problem with my FEL and a 3pt adapter setup is that it puts the implement too far forward for good height and steering control. Perhaps a set of gauge wheels on the implement would help keep the height right, but that still leaves the implementa long ways out there in front of the tractor.

How about it? Anyone else try this?
rScotty

Last edited:
   / 3pt Hitch on the Front? #2  
rScotty,

A front end loader has a much different situation than does a 3pt hitch. A 3pt hitch is frame mounted and typically far stronger than its fel because of several reasons.

Lets take as an example - a quick attach on a fel that also includes a 2 inch trailer receiver as my quick attach has. Its great for maneuvering a trailer that is properly loaded balanced or lightly loaded - but not good for other conditions. A fel has issues with rigidity compared to a rear 3pt mounted unit - as the arms on a fel that give it "reach" also give it non-positive leverage issues. In addition - the front axle on a tractor makes a tractor much more like a tricycle because of its pivoting function - versus the rear wheels are fixed to frame. I know - it seems very solid - but its in no comparison to the rear.

Now the closest similarity is having a quick hitch on the front (not a quick attach) - that is frame mounted - like for a snowblower. But unless your unit has a front pto (not mid pto) - the linkage to mid-pto is a difference in strength and efficiency compared to a front or rear pto which is far shorter and makes no directional changes from "straight in".

/ 3pt Hitch on the Front? #3  
I have adapted a 3 point quick hitch to my loader arms. As noted, it's nice for the trailer hitch receiver, for general moving equipment around and I can attach my boom pole to it. However, I wouldn't try to use it for any heavy work for fear of damaging the loader arms.

/ 3pt Hitch on the Front? #4  
@rScotty-

My solution to this was a tractor that could be driven 'forward' in either direction by reversing the direction the steering wheel and seat face. Pull when you need to, push when you want to. For flail mowing and brush hogging it's terrific... I'm sure these have come up on your research. Antonio Carraro makes a line of reversible machines. Others do too but I think the ACs are currently the only ones available new here.

/ 3pt Hitch on the Front? #5  
Be sure to read through the link suggestions listed at the end of this thread. (Yep, just below this post! ;-)

As I am in the middle of fitting a front mounted snow blower to my B7200, I thought hard about the "European System".

Since the blower is fitted with the Blade type fast hitch that is somewhat common, The "arms" are a solid assembly.

Should work for blower, blade, or any sort of "mini bucket" that I might need. I've got other tractors for other needs.

/ 3pt Hitch on the Front? #6  
My tractor has the front 3ph and pto option but I opted against it (deutz fahr agrofarm 430).

While it may be useful for a front mounted snow blower, I have a hard time finding any other implement that I would use there. For a hitch, you can make one that's mounted on the pallet forks or make a spare bucket with hooks and hitches etc...

While it may be efficient to have a mower and a baller or run two attachments like that at the same time, I don't farm and don't have a use for two attachments at once ...

European tractors often don't have front loaders when equipped with the front 3ph which is cheaper and therefore still allows to have forks in the front with a sprayer in the back or a trailer, etc..

As far as I recall when ordering my tractor the front 3ph was a 2800$ option and the front pto was another 3000$ or so... rpm would match the rear if you set the rear to 1000 rpm as opposed to 540...

Bigger tractors sometimes have independent controls over the front and rear rpm as well as ground speed (with all those CVT type transmissions)

/ 3pt Hitch on the Front? #7  
Just a month or so ago I adapted my 7’ 3PH York rake to work out front on a QH/3PH adapter plate bought from Tractor Supply or Titan. Works exactly as hoped for on my TYM 1003. My need was to rake a 10’ tall steep hillside of brush and saplings cut with a pole saw. No way that was that possible with the 3’ lift of the 3PH (even with a hydraulic top link). The 5+ foot long rake on the end of the 10+ foot reach of the FEL made the job easy. I just faced the hill and pulled all the material down with vastly more control using the responsive lift and curl of the loader controls than the blunt-force raise and lower 3PH control. You also have the option of spinning the rake around 180-degrees and raking normally going forward.

/ 3pt Hitch on the Front? #8  
I've seen something I wouldn't have guessed recently. Its a tractor (not a big one) that has a long stout pole/pipe attached to the front of the unit - I'd guess the pole is 20 to 25 feet or so. attached to the front of the pole is a rear 3pt finish mower that is self powered (engine on unit for the cutting process. The operator backs up the tractor and then pushes the pole and mower up the steep lawn till it reaches its pole length. The tractor does not move up the hill - only till any flat ground ends (and I'm assuming where stability ends LOL).

Then just repeats and repeats the backing up and moving ahead as he moves across the steep lawn. Sure beats the "rope attached to a mower" concept - but I wonder how much leverage exists with something like that. Tractor looked from a distance like a small compact at most. And obviously that pipe/pole must be quite stout - from a distance it looked like 2.5 or 3 inch.