3pt hitch and cat 1 questions

/ 3pt hitch and cat 1 questions #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Hi all I have had a few lawn tractors but my 318 can run a few things I have not had any experience with.
Reugg manufacturing(Ruegg MFG - Agricultural Hitch Kits for Various Tractors) makes two things I am looking at. Once is a 3pt hitch the other is a cat 1 draw bar that will hold 6 suite case weights.
The problem is I don't know how to use them.
1. do I need the 3pt to run the cat 1?
2. does the cat 1 hook into the 3pt?
Benefits of one over the other?
Thank you for the help.

/ 3pt hitch and cat 1 questions #2  
IIRC factory 318 3pt hitch is Cat 0 not Cat l.

/ 3pt hitch and cat 1 questions
Tx Jim, do I need the 3pt hitch to run the Cat 1 or are stand alone hitches.

/ 3pt hitch and cat 1 questions #4  
Terminology: I think you're referring to a "(cross) drawbar" that is size Cat 1

Yes, the cross drawbars connect to a 3 point hitch and are not standalone.

Cat 0, Cat I, Cat II just refers to different sized standard dimensions of the 3 pt hitch and or the attachments that go on a 3 pth. That is, each size is associated with a standard distance between the lift arms, distance between the lift arms and top link, and the diameter of the attachment pins on the attachment and the associated "ball hole" at the end of the 3 pth lift arms. It's a quick way to say this attachment will fit that tractor.

Typically one can attach a smaller category attachment to a bigger category tractor; just adjust the width of the lift arms and put bushings on the attachment's pins so they fit the bigger "ball holes" on the tractor's lift arms.

If trying to attach a larger attachment (Cat 1) to a smaller (Cat 0) 3 pth, you have to check that the attachment pins will fit inside the tractors lift arm's ball holes. Pins may be too big. On some attachments you can remove the attachment pins and put smaller ones on, but not with a cast drawbar.

btw: I don't know how the pin sizes / ball holes vary between Cat I and Cat 0. If lucky, they just might be same size? (I know they vary between Cat I & Cat II) Or just order a Cat 0 sized (cross) drawbar for your Cat 0 sized 3 pth.
View attachment ISO 730 - 3 Point Linkage.pdf

CobyRupert thank you!!

/ 3pt hitch and cat 1 questions #6  
Here's something on found on the internet (so it must be true!)

But you can see how dimensions and (pin/hole) diameters vary:
Worth a 1000 words:
3 pth.jpg

Doesn't look like the pins of a Cat 1 drawbar would fit through the holes of a Cat 0 3 pt. hitch

That helps! I need to add a bit of weight to the back, but I also need to haul logs out of the woods (just got a band saw mill), so that chart helps a lot trying to figure out what will work.
I appreciate the info!