3ph sway chain

/ 3ph sway chain #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
Last weekend while using the box blade I broke one of the sway chains for the 3ph. It bent and broke where the bolt goes in to the turnbuckle on the tractor side. I am trying to find out why I broke it, did I do something wrong or are S. Korean bolts crap. Has anyone else broken one of these while using an implement? Is there some proper adjustment I should keep it at? Being new to 3 point hitches any suggestions here would be helpful.

Thanks,
Eric

/ 3ph sway chain #2  
Were you pushing dirt while going backwards ? 3 point hitches are not really designed to push backwards and are weakest when doing this.

Ben

/ 3ph sway chain #3  
Were the chains tightened to keep the BB from swaying?

I was told to NEVER tighten the chains on ground egaging equipment. This allows them some room to slide past hard spots and rocks.

/ 3ph sway chain
I wasn't pushing. I had never adjusted the sway chain. I would say it was only about 1/4 out meaning I could lengthen it a lot more. Is there any rule of thumb that should be used for adjusting this?

Eric

/ 3ph sway chain #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Last weekend while using the box blade I broke one of the sway chains for the 3ph. It bent and broke where the bolt goes in to the turnbuckle on the tractor side. I am trying to find out why I broke it, did I do something wrong or are S. Korean bolts crap. Has anyone else broken one of these while using an implement? Is there some proper adjustment I should keep it at? Being new to 3 point hitches any suggestions here would be helpful.

Thanks,
Eric )</font>

If you use your tractor long enough you are going to break a sway chain or two at some point. My late father-in-law had sway chains and turnbuckles on both his tractors and both had been repaired, and neither were S. Korean origin.

Most often I have seen chains break when there is too much slack. The slack causes more movement and the sudden side to side jolt will put a lot of pressure on the sway chains.

/ 3ph sway chain #6  
As with Keith B, too much slack on rough terrain with the BB in the air. It slams back and forth and the sway chain can only take so much. If you want the sway chains loose on your ground engaging implements, at least keep them fairly tight when transporting over rough terrain, then loosen when engaging ground.

OkieG

/ 3ph sway chain
I did not know I was supposed to keep the sway chains tight. Talking with the dealer when I picked up the new sway chain he commented that I probably had them too loose. They are set almost as tight as they can be already but probably can get about 1-2inches shorter. So I got the new sway chain brought it home and noticed it is longer and beefier than the original one. Beefier is good but longer is going to mean I cannot get it tight. I will call him today to see if they had actually ordered me the correct part. So the saga continues.

Eric

/ 3ph sway chain #8  
If I remeber correctly, there is a slight difference in the tightness of the sway chains from raised to lowered as they don't swing on the exact same arc as the lift arms. So, chains tightened to the max when an implement is lowered may be over tightened when raised or vice versa. If you look at the geometry of your lift arms vs sway chains, you may see what I am talking about. I would recommend a little slack whether lowered or raised.

/ 3ph sway chain #9  
<font color="blue">I did not know I was supposed to keep the sway chains tight.</font>
You don't need to keep them tight. However, less slack during transport, especially over rough terrain, will allow less momentum to build up as the implement sways (slams) back and forth. On even terrain you may not have to reduce slack at all during transport.

A moderate amount of slack is helpful to attach and detach a 3PH implement. Unless there's rough terrain transport involved, I keep ample slack in the chains so I don't have to fiddle with them every time an implement goes on or off.

OkieG

/ 3ph sway chain #10  
You can adjust them to where they are snug to a little bit loose and they will be alright as long as they don't tighten up when you raise the lift up. Check it with the lift down and also up.