Chipper 3PH Model for 60 HP Tractor

/ 3PH Model for 60 HP Tractor #1  

Gale Hawkins

Super Star Member
Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
I have lived without a chipper all of my life but kind of would like to have one I think but I really do not want much $$$ sitting around in a chipper.

My question if there really is little to no play in the moving parts are the replacement blades the major expense for upkeep?

Looks is not a concern but I really do not want to get into any major rebuilding but is the cutter head the main moving part?

It will need to handle the 60 horses because I assume they need to be ran at 540 RPM to perform properly.

Any thoughts on a price range IF one could even be found?

/ 3PH Model for 60 HP Tractor #2  
Gale,

I too am in the market for a chipper. It is my understanding that the blades are the major maintenance item.

One of my local dealers carries Wallenstein chippers, but the prices he quoted for their chippers were considerably higher than those listed here:Wallenstein BX32, BX42, BX62 Woodchippers | PTO Wood Chippers

It looks like the BX62 would match your tractor.

I am still in the early stages of my research and have no personal experience with Wallenstein chippers, but I believe that their smaller chippers have received reasonably good reviews here.

Other brands that I plan to look at include Bear Cat and Valby.

Steve

PS I haven't seen any used chippers listed for sale in my neck of the woods.

Last edited:
   / 3PH Model for 60 HP Tractor #3  
I've got a Wallenstein BX62 and I love it. I picked it up lightly used and paid $1500. The guy had bought it to clear a house lot and decided it was easier to let the excavator do the work. It's a little overkill for my B3200, which I also am VERY happy with, but I was thinking if I did upgrade later.... (don't tell my wife). I have run 4" maple through it and it didn't slow the tractor down at all. Anything bigger than that gets cut up for firewood anyway. Occasionally pushing fir branches through it to fast will plug up the chute, but the whole top section flips up very easily (one pin) to access the blades and clear out debris. As far as maintenance, I haven't had it long enough to sharpen the blades, but it looks fairly easy. The only moving parts are 2 bearing blocks with grease fittings. Everything is easy to get at. If I were going to use it to make a living, I would want the hydraulic feed. As it is though, you don't have to stand there and shove branches down the throat like the small gas ones.
Chipping it is a lot easier than hauling it out into the woods or making piles and burning it.
Enjoy the summer,
Bob

/ 3PH Model for 60 HP Tractor #4  
I have lived without a chipper all of my life but kind of would like to have one I think but I really do not want much $$$ sitting around in a chipper.

With 60 HP at the PTO, you'd need a pretty robust chipper. Problem you'll face is there aren't too many used ones available...even beaters, that would handle 60 PTO HP. A good brand to look for is a Valby...very well built (and more then my chipper budget was!).

So, I'm going to suggest you accumulate your brush, limbs and such and rent a chipper once or twice a year. As long as you stage your material, you can do a lot of chipping in a day. And, at $250 for a day's rental, you can rent for several years before spending the money a used chipper will cost.

You don't seem to be too motivated to buy one, so renting on an as needed basis might be a better way to go.

Now, I have a chipper/shredder. It's a lightly used Woods 5000 and it works quite well behind my 30 PTO HP tractor. I paid $1000 for it, used. I accumulate fallen branches and smaller dead trees and chip 2-3 times a year.
Considering the initial cost, cost of renting a chipper and frequency that it's used; this chipper has paid for itself.

As far as maintenance, sharpening (per Woods, every 25 hours), belt replacement (mine look brand new) and greasing a few zerks...not much to it...

Last edited:
   / 3PH Model for 60 HP Tractor
Gale,

I too am in the market for a chipper. It is my understanding that the blades are the major maintenance item.

One of my local dealers carries Wallenstein chippers, but the prices he quoted for their chippers were considerably higher than those listed here:Wallenstein BX32, BX42, BX62 Woodchippers | PTO Wood Chippers

It looks like the BX62 would match your tractor.

I am still in the early stages of my research and have no personal experience with Wallenstein chippers, but I believe that their smaller chippers have received reasonably good reviews here.

Other brands that I plan to look at include Bear Cat and Valby.

Steve

PS I haven't seen any used chippers listed for sale in my neck of the woods.

The BX62 sounds/looks like it would fit the bill quite well. If I could find one like Bob did I would be in hog heaven. Roy I can find the old worn out trailer ones but it is true 3PH are NOT on the market as used equipment very often. They are either 5-10 HP or huge things.

Piling and burning may be in my future. :D That is not as hard as it sounds with two teenagers around. :thumbsup:

/ 3PH Model for 60 HP Tractor #6  
Roy I can find the old worn out trailer ones but it is true 3PH are NOT on the market as used equipment very often. They are either 5-10 HP or huge things.

Took me 4 years to find the one I bought.

I was like you...I wanted one, but I just didn't want to spend $2500-$3000 for one new (which is what Woods and Bearcat units were priced at).
Watch Craigslist...but if you see one you like, move fast because they sell fast.

/ 3PH Model for 60 HP Tractor #7  

Good chippers are expensive, and good ones only RARELY show on the used market.

My question if there really is little to no play in the moving parts are the replacement blades the major expense for upkeep?

Blades are the major wear item. I've had several chippers, and other than blades and grease I've not needed any other parts.

It will need to handle the 60 horses because I assume they need to be ran at 540 RPM to perform properly.

Yes, they need to be run at 540 to perform correctly.

Any thoughts on a price range IF one could even be found?

Highly variable.

I think for your generally described wants/needs you probably would be better off to pile and rent a tow behind chipper for a day/weekend when you need to.

If you get to the point you are needing the chipper more than 2x a year, then perhaps its time to own.

/ 3PH Model for 60 HP Tractor
I've got a Wallenstein BX62 and I love it. I picked it up lightly used and paid $1500. The guy had bought it to clear a house lot and decided it was easier to let the excavator do the work. It's a little overkill for my B3200, which I also am VERY happy with, but I was thinking if I did upgrade later.... (don't tell my wife). I have run 4" maple through it and it didn't slow the tractor down at all. Anything bigger than that gets cut up for firewood anyway. Occasionally pushing fir branches through it to fast will plug up the chute, but the whole top section flips up very easily (one pin) to access the blades and clear out debris. As far as maintenance, I haven't had it long enough to sharpen the blades, but it looks fairly easy. The only moving parts are 2 bearing blocks with grease fittings. Everything is easy to get at. If I were going to use it to make a living, I would want the hydraulic feed. As it is though, you don't have to stand there and shove branches down the throat like the small gas ones.
Chipping it is a lot easier than hauling it out into the woods or making piles and burning it.
Enjoy the summer,
Bob

Well I ran across a lightly use BX62 BUT the guy is asking $4000 with no feeder options. :mad: Since they are all a lot of 'work' I am not sure I want one now that it is summer. :D I know I do not want a 3 year old twice used chipper at at retail price.