Backhoe 3PH backhoe on B2400

/ 3PH backhoe on B2400 #1  

Anonymous Poster

About a month ago I put a 3PH backhoe on my B2400. It's a Woods 6500. A neighbor had tried the 6500 on his B2400 with a woods sub frame and found that:

1) The BH hangs so far behind the tractor and so low that it drags too easily.

2) Because it hangs out so far the tractor is even more light ended in the front that one might expect

3) The woods sub frame is incompatible with an under-belly mower.

To use a 3PH backhoe on the B2400 is needs to be reinforced in a few ways. The reinforcing parts are typically ordered in conjunction with a Kubota backhoe, but it turns out you can get them and then mount any backhoe you want. The Woods was available (Kubota was backordered 2-3 months), and was $1000 cheaper. The reinforcements etc. consist of:

1) A replacement 3PH top link bracket. The original bracket bolts to the back of the transmission case with 4 bolts. The new bracket is substancially heavier and wraps up over the top of the transmission case and bolts to the back with the same 4 bolts, but also bolts to the top with 2 more bolts. It's a real chunk of iron.

2) Second are two reinforcing frames that bolt, one on each side, to the lower rear of the transmission case (around the lower 2PH pins and run forward to the loader frame. This beefs up the whole frame of the tractor to take the loads from the BH.

3) Last but not least is a taller roll bar so you're not wacking your head all the time.

There have been lots of panic notes about the hazards of 3PH backhoes and I just don't see the issue. Perhaps older BHs where made differently, but this BH has a fixed top link making it impossible for the BH to move up and down as a 3PH attachment normally does. There essentially is a big steel brace forming a triangle instead of the typical parallelogram for a 3PH. As long as you tighten up the stays so the BH isn't moving from side to side (as you should do with any implement), it's quite solid and stable. The only way the BH could raise up and cruch you is if there were a major structural failure in the frame. Seems to me that the same hazard exists to the same extent with a separate frame.

Perhaps the hazard is with people placing 3PH backhoes on too small tractors, or not outfitting the tractor properly to accept a 3PH backhoe. I have to believe that Kubota did their engineering when making the 3PH reinforcing components before using their 3PH backhoe, so I have total confidence in its structural integrity.