3D Printing Parts

/ 3D Printing Parts #21  
and for about $15k you can print metal and sinter them into solid parts...... (printer under 10k)

/ 3D Printing Parts #22  
Right. We have one of those machines where I work. They were experimenting with using it to make injection mold tooling. One needs a furnace for the sintering process IIRC.

/ 3D Printing Parts #23  
I read an interesting article in one of the trucking related trade magazines a while back. Several of the big trucking firms are investing in 3D printing. They think that 3D printing will become a major competition to their core business. An example given was where certain auto parts will eventually be printed on site. An auto part store will have a printer in the back spitting out parts. Parts that will no longer be shipped by the trucking firms.

/ 3D Printing Parts #24  
We've been 3D printing parts from way back when it was just called rapid prototyping in the mid 90's where I work (it first came into existence mid-late 80's). Started with sending part files out to be made and eventually we got our own machines. I have seen the developments over the years and it has been impressive. The democratization of FDM in the last 10 yrs has been pretty amazing. It is a pretty great process - and we use the heck out of it at work, but inter-laminar strength (in the Z direction) has never been great. Some materials are better than others, but it will always be a weakness of that technology. The one I have been most impressed with recently is Multi Jet Fusion from HP. It makes parts from a nylon material currently (more to come), but the resolution and strength are head and shoulders above any FDM I have seen. Down side is it is a quarter mil+ for the machine and requires a lab with hazardous ventilation and stuff. We have talked about getting one but still outsource those parts like in the old days so far. If you need a durable part for field use, this is the way to go right now. Carbon 3D technology looks neat but the company is kind of a PITA to deal with. There are a lot of people out there trying to make injection molds from RP machines, and it can be done, with some pretty severe limitations on temps and tool life. But if you are looking to cast urethanes or RTV silicones, those can work quite well. Some technologies are used in making the forms for investment casting or lost wax casting for metals. And others have mentioned some of the direct metal printing technologies too. Lots of variety out there...

I will be curious to see how all these various RP technologies continue to develop over time, but the fantasy of people really printing parts for sale and general manufacturing is going to remain that for quite some time, or until some sudden breakthrough occurs. People have been saying that is "right around the corner" (just like nuclear fusion reactors) for 20+ years now, and it will stay that way for the foreseeable future. Maybe one of these days we will end up with the Star Trek replicator, but not likely in my lifetime. Now of course someone is going to chime in that they have done it or know something done that way, and sure, there are some minor exceptions out there, but nothing of any volumes or mass scale as it doesn't make sense (yet)....

/ 3D Printing Parts #25  
Which printer is that?

Anycubic I3 Mega which is now the Anycubic Mega-S, they upgraded the I3 Mega to Mega-S.

A1B396FC-1567-4A46-8158-562119D90A4A.jpg