Comparison 3720 or 4120

/ 3720 or 4120 #1  

StoneCrab

Tractor
JD2305
Hello, I am down to these two models in my search for a replacement for my 2305. The 3720 and 4120 have similar HP, but the 4120 has more weight, size, and lift capability. I will use the tractor primarily for finish mowing, on hilly ground with lots of trees. But also need it to do regular tractor work - 60" tiller, 5' rotary cutter, FEL, and debris grapple. I would get R4s with both machines. I want to use the MMM on either machine, and the 3720 has the nifty quick-attach 72" MMM that in my opinion makes it that much for useful doing tasks that require the MMM off. Removing the MMM on the 2305 is not difficult, but something I don't look forward to when I go to use the tractor for non mowing work, so I really like the idea of super easy MMM removal. The 4120 has the 72" MMM option but it is not the quick-attach version, and from what I can tell it is similar to the 2305 when removing (detach the front and rear hangers, PTO, pivot the wheels and wrestle it out from the tractor). Anybody have a 4x20 with MMM that can chime in on how easy it is to remove? The quick-attach MMM seems like a gimmick, but it is actually a really nice feature. It makes going from a finish mower tractor to a FEL/grapple in the woods a lot easier.

Here is my pick for each task, and reasons. Do I have this wrong?

Mowing: 3720. Lighter weight and more maneuverable machine with same 72" MMM. Although I have read here that the 3720 can be a little tippy on hills, true? I would get the larger R4s but it still seems a bit narrow. Open station only, so maybe the CG wouldn't be too high.

Brush cutting with 5' rotary cutter: 4120. Heavier machine to plow through the brush, but overall I bet these machines would be very similar in this function. 3720 might be more maneuverable.

Tilling with 5' KK tiller: 3720. Both have about the same PTO HP, so this is prob a tossup. I give it to the 3720 just due to being lighter and less soil compaction. Also my 5' tiller would just about completely cover the tracks of the 3720, not so on the 4120.

FEL work: 4120. The 400CX has about 600 pounds, or 37%, more lifting capacity than the 300CX and the tractor itself weighs about 800lbs more. Big advantage to the 4120 in this area. I would use the 72" heavy skid steer bucket on both machines.

Grapple work: 4120. Again more lifting capacity and heavier machine. I would use the skid steer carrier and it adds a little weight itself.

So, considering that I would use it for mowing the most, I give that more importance. I don't want a machine too small to be useful in those other areas. Also, a ZTR and the tractor is not possible right now. Maybe sometime in the future, but for now I need this tractor to also be my primary finish mower. I like the idea of the JD PowerTech in the 4120, but there is nothing wrong with the Yanmar in the 3720 either. My little 2305 has been awesome and has exceeded my expectations on what it can do, even though people told me it would be too small. It clearly is too small for some tasks though. I suppose no matter how big a tractor you get there will always be some task that makes it feel too small. A tractor can also be too big and it makes sense to size the machine right for the job it will do most often, while still allowing it to do some of the other functions. The 3720 is also less expensive by a few thousand, which is something. What do you think?

/ 3720 or 4120 #2  
I think you allready picked your machine. That was well thought out, Good job.

/ 3720 or 4120 #3  
At first it appears that choosing the 3720 is the right choice, my only reservation stems from the fact that you have over 50 acres in your profile. I use a 4520 and an x749 to mow and do field work and something similar may suit your needs the best. Maybe keep the 2305 for mowing even if it means waiting a little longer to buy a larger tractor and matching implements. Not many people are flush with money today and I have had to spread my purchases out over several years but it is worth it to buy right and buy once.

/ 3720 or 4120 #4  
I agree with your analysis. You've made a good case.

I'd offer a couple of observations, though. If you're focused on finish mowing, primarily. And only planning upon a 72" finish cutter with 5' attachments for the additional chores - why not consider a 3520?

About the only difference between the 3720 and the 3520 is the air-to-air intercooler and a different turbo, etc.

The work you've outlined could easily be accomplished with a 3320. The 3520 won't even break a sweat!

IIRC- you can get a 7-iron drive over deck with the 3000 series tractor. They can greatly improve/ease the work needed to hook/unhook the MMM! A bit more $$$; but, worth the long-term investment.

Good luck with your decision.

AKfish

/ 3720 or 4120
At first it appears that choosing the 3720 is the right choice, my only reservation stems from the fact that you have over 50 acres in your profile. I use a 4520 and an x749 to mow and do field work and something similar may suit your needs the best. Maybe keep the 2305 for mowing even if it means waiting a little longer to buy a larger tractor and matching implements. Not many people are flush with money today and I have had to spread my purchases out over several years but it is worth it to buy right and buy once.

Thanks, and you are correct, I've got 55 or so acres, half tillable and half woods. I cash rent the tillable to a farmer with the right equipment to handle the row crop though. I have no illusions of being an active farmer with this acreage or equipment. I do have responsibility to maintain the non-tilled ground, including brush cutting the field edges, tree lines, maintaining fences, access roads, culverts, ditches, clearing down trees & limbs, etc. There is around 3 to 4 acres of grass land that is either finish or rough cut, with some hills and plenty of trees. In addition to all of that there is the vegetable garden and associated landscape & mowing work around the house. Some of this land is a recent acquisition, so the 2305 was doing what I needed before the new ground (although I was using the heck out of it). I really need a tractor that has clearance to get into the woods and be useful to clear brush. I am hoping the 3720 is not too small to do that with a grapple, and at the same time is not too big to be good at finish mowing. The 4120 would be better at grapple and FEL work, but is almost too large for MMM finish mowing in an area with trees and tight spots. I'd consider a rear finish mower on the 4120 except that this ground is not all open and easy access, and I think that would not be maneuverable enough. I do have a small JD lawn riding mower that I use for the very tight spots, similar to your X749 (mine is much smaller though).

/ 3720 or 4120
I agree with your analysis. You've made a good case.

I'd offer a couple of observations, though. If you're focused on finish mowing, primarily. And only planning upon a 72" finish cutter with 5' attachments for the additional chores - why not consider a 3520?

About the only difference between the 3720 and the 3520 is the air-to-air intercooler and a different turbo, etc.

The work you've outlined could easily be accomplished with a 3320. The 3520 won't even break a sweat!

IIRC- you can get a 7-iron drive over deck with the 3000 series tractor. They can greatly improve/ease the work needed to hook/unhook the MMM! A bit more $$$; but, worth the long-term investment.

Good luck with your decision.

AKfish

Thanks, I looked at the 3x20 series and decided the 3720 is the best value for what you get. I don't mind the extra HP, as long as the frame/machine size is not too small to do what I want. The 72" auto-connect deck does work with any of the 3x20 series (I think) and is really a nice feature, making the transition from a finish mower without FEL to a woods ready grapple/FEL machine really easy. That is a nice feature that you don't get on the 4x20 series, and for my needs might be the deal maker. JD is very proud of that 72" drive over MMM though, it is around $4k alone....

/ 3720 or 4120 #7  
Thanks, I looked at the 3x20 series and decided the 3720 is the best value for what you get. I don't mind the extra HP, as long as the frame/machine size is not too small to do what I want. The 72" auto-connect deck does work with any of the 3x20 series (I think) and is really a nice feature, making the transition from a finish mower without FEL to a woods ready grapple/FEL machine really easy. That is a nice feature that you don't get on the 4x20 series, and for my needs might be the deal maker. JD is very proud of that 72" drive over MMM though, it is around $4k alone....

The problem I see with using either of these compacts as all in one machines is in order to use the tractor/fel combinations safely you will need to add ballast to the tires. Instead of a $4000 mmm why not spend a little more on a 500 series mower and save your lawn areas?

Do you already have the 5' implements or are you planning on buying them too?

/ 3720 or 4120 #8  
I went with the 3720 last month. I wanted the largest tractor that still had a drive on QD MMM. Have not really used it yet. Mine came with ballast filled tires. Took the mower off this week. Not too difficult - just be sure the area is level where you are dropping the deck. The 52" deck on my garden tractor is heavy enough that it pursuaded me to get the drive over model for the bigger tractor. If I need to move the deck after it is off the tractor, it will be with the FEL.

Not that this probably helps you much, but my 2 cents worth on my first "real" tractor.
Don

Last edited:
   / 3720 or 4120 #9  
You picked a very capable machine, did you set your tires out a little further? Keep in mind also that filled tires are NOT ballast. You need to have alot of weight behind the rear axles (ballast) in order to use the FEL safely. Have fun!

Also , If you are carrying heavy loads on your front end, even with the proper ballast you need to be in 4wd, especially going down hills. If your back end gets light going down a hill and your not in 4wd, you have NO BRAKES.

/ 3720 or 4120 #10  
I've done lots of mowing with a 4120 and a 3520; both with 6 foot rotary cutters behind them. In terms of rotary cutters only, I consider them to be equal in mowing performance with the 3520 using less fuel, for sure. I have no experience with a MMM, but if it was the same size on both the 3720 and 4120, I'd go with the 3720 hands-down for maneuverability and fuel efficiency if mowing was my primary task.

If my primary tasks were ground-engaging activities like plowing, discing, tilling, subsoiling, etc., on a 10+ acre scale, or some serious FEL work on a regular basis, I'd go with the 4120 hands-down because of it's weight and FEL capacity.

Maybe the 80/20 rule will help you decide? :)

All the best!

- Spindifferent