Oil & Fuel 3600 ford diesel, starter solenoid

/ 3600 ford diesel, starter solenoid #1  

georgia plow boy

Bronze Member
This might sound like a dumb question, but I recently bought a ford 3600 diesel tractor and since Ive have it, it seems the started solenoids has went bad, there's a rebuild place pretty close by, but I have to take it off and take it to them, Im not to mechanically inclined, is it pretty simple to take this off and put it back on, and how do I do it , thanks for your help

/ 3600 ford diesel, starter solenoid #2  
if it's like my 3000 diesel.. and I think it exactly is.. then you will curse a lil before you have the starter off :) the fuel filter assembly is -QUITE- in the way, and that back bolt against the block is hard enough to get to.. you will need a good fore-arm and some extensions, and plenty of patience.. injection pump is in the way to take it straight out.. you may find that you have to take the steering draglink off either the steering box or the front pittman arm and swing it out of the way to get the starter out ( or swing radius bar out from trans.. etc ), OR you have to remove the fuel filter assembly. do yourself a favor and remove the battery, and unpin and remove the battery tray as well.

have fun!

soundguy

/ 3600 ford diesel, starter solenoid
The way you described it the 3000 is just like it, Im hoping I can wait until longer and warmer days to do it. thanks for your help and the info on removing the battery tray, Hope that makes it a little easier.

/ 3600 ford diesel, starter solenoid #4  
Plan on removing the fuel filter, or the entire fuel filter base. I find removing the battery tray of limited value, but that's just me. Round up a 3/8" drive 9/16 flex socket, and a 6" extension along with a decent ratchet. That's what you need to get the starter mount bolt that's behind the solenoid. Just last week I swapped out a starter on a 3000 diesel with a Simms injection pump and an Allied loader that had the bucket flat on the ground. Removing the fuel filters (base and all) gave me enough room to get the starter off without removing anything else, but this was a manual steer tractor. And it wasn't my first rodeo.

/ 3600 ford diesel, starter solenoid #5  
The bat tray didn't help with any of the actual removal.. just me seeing what I was doing a lil better.. plus I needed to paint it and clean it up anyway.. so dual purpose I guess.

My steering draglink on that side was a welded up piece of junk with a piece of large 2" angle iron welded to it.. partially getting in the way.. Had to cut that thing off it was so heavilly welded on at the tie rod ends. I bet the original owner spent more time welding the angle iron on, than it would have bene to just repalce the draglink ????

soundguy

/ 3600 ford diesel, starter solenoid #6  
And if not real familiar with the tractor then take pics of the disassembly so you can look to see how it goes back together