35x, 45x, 55x, 65x series trucks... enlighten me

/ 35x, 45x, 55x, 65x series trucks... enlighten me #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I am in the process of looking at used tow vehicles. At this point, the focus is on having something which can safely pull a trailer large enough to hold a JD5100e with FEL. This is the 'max' I suspect I'll need at this juncture and beyond, in all likelihood. My thinking is to purchase something in a Gooseneck configuration, but with 'bumper' hitch capability as well. I know nothing about pintle other than what I've read and don't think this will be a likely purchase as far as trailers go, unless something happens along which is just massively useful for a good price.

I'll be using the vehicle to tow a 4-6 horse trailer and general purpose trailer around the farm. I do not have any trailers or other equipment at this point.

Growing up, we used 3/4T trucks of various flavors to tow our cattle/horse trailer, but that was the extent of my towing history/knowledge. Now, several years later, I am looking to buy my own for a farm build.

At this point, I am looking for something used. In the future, I'll likely purchase something 'nicer/more comfortable', but at this point, this is purely for utilitarian work around the farm build. I want to have something that will get to town and back with rental equipment on the trailer. Pull a trailer with several tons of hay. Pull the tractor. brush, etc etc etc. Everything a farm truck needs to be.

As I have been looking, I see a whole new level of trucks that I've never evaluated before. That is the >35X series trucks of Ford, Chevy, and Dodge.

I have no knowledge about them, but I have been looking at them while driving on the roads, and some seem massive and likely not useful for me. ie I passed a F650 yesterday, and it was much larger than I think I could use for a tow vehicle. But, then again, you would be more helpful in determining their utility.

Basically, I am looking for a low cost, useful, tow vehicle which will handle the loads I have outlined above in a safe manner. I see them on the Auction sites online all the time, but in reality, don't know what I should take the time to look at or to avoid. Your thoughts would be welcome.

I'd also like some thoughts on trailers as well. I'd like to get a dump trailer, because there will be a lot of cleaning up in this farm build. But I'd like it to be useful in hauling the tractor and other equipment if possible. I've seen people talking about loading tractors into Dump Trailers, and read other threads on such in this forum. But I don't know whether it is a realistic thing for MY tractor JD5100e. Width with tires out is roughly 83-85" on back. I recognize that a single trailer to fit all might not be a good idea and that more than one trailer might be a better thought. But the essence of me is to save some money if possible, but I want safety and utility as much as is reasonable.

I have a lot to learn, and hopefully, some of you will be willing to impart your thoughts, knowledge, and experience and help me avoid AVOIDABLE mistakes in choices. I'm all about experience... but I'd rather learn from your experiences if at all possible.

/ 35x, 45x, 55x, 65x series trucks... enlighten me #2  
If I were you I would get a daily driver and pick up a used Dump Truck and a Pintle Hitch Trailer. This way you have a tow vehicle, dump, and trailer capabilities.

Big issue seems like you need a dump trailer and your tractor. Tough to do both with a Dump Trailer.

Chris

Last edited:
   / 35x, 45x, 55x, 65x series trucks... enlighten me #3  
I am in the process of looking at used tow vehicles. At this point, the focus is on having something which can safely pull a trailer large enough to hold a JD5100e with FEL. This is the 'max' I suspect I'll need at this juncture and beyond, in all likelihood. My thinking is to purchase something in a Gooseneck configuration, but with 'bumper' hitch capability as well. I know nothing about pintle other than what I've read and don't think this will be a likely purchase as far as trailers go, unless something happens along which is just massively useful for a good price.

I'll be using the vehicle to tow a 4-6 horse trailer and general purpose trailer around the farm. I do not have any trailers or other equipment at this point.

Growing up, we used 3/4T trucks of various flavors to tow our cattle/horse trailer, but that was the extent of my towing history/knowledge. Now, several years later, I am looking to buy my own for a farm build.

At this point, I am looking for something used. In the future, I'll likely purchase something 'nicer/more comfortable', but at this point, this is purely for utilitarian work around the farm build. I want to have something that will get to town and back with rental equipment on the trailer. Pull a trailer with several tons of hay. Pull the tractor. brush, etc etc etc. Everything a farm truck needs to be.

As I have been looking, I see a whole new level of trucks that I've never evaluated before. That is the >35X series trucks of Ford, Chevy, and Dodge.

I have no knowledge about them, but I have been looking at them while driving on the roads, and some seem massive and likely not useful for me. ie I passed a F650 yesterday, and it was much larger than I think I could use for a tow vehicle. But, then again, you would be more helpful in determining their utility.

Basically, I am looking for a low cost, useful, tow vehicle which will handle the loads I have outlined above in a safe manner. I see them on the Auction sites online all the time, but in reality, don't know what I should take the time to look at or to avoid. Your thoughts would be welcome.

I'd also like some thoughts on trailers as well. I'd like to get a dump trailer, because there will be a lot of cleaning up in this farm build. But I'd like it to be useful in hauling the tractor and other equipment if possible. I've seen people talking about loading tractors into Dump Trailers, and read other threads on such in this forum. But I don't know whether it is a realistic thing for MY tractor JD5100e. Width with tires out is roughly 83-85" on back. I recognize that a single trailer to fit all might not be a good idea and that more than one trailer might be a better thought. But the essence of me is to save some money if possible, but I want safety and utility as much as is reasonable.

I have a lot to learn, and hopefully, some of you will be willing to impart your thoughts, knowledge, and experience and help me avoid AVOIDABLE mistakes in choices. I'm all about experience... but I'd rather learn from your experiences if at all possible.

Figure your tractor probably weighs in around 10k with the loader. A dump trailer that would hold that, in gooseneck configuration, is probably around 5k, possibly more. You can get a truck in the 350 size class that is rated for that kind of weight in gooseneck configuration. Though you will probably be over the 26k limit for CDL between truck and trailer.

One thing to consider with a dump trailer is that they work ok for equipment, but you cannot move a car with them unless you can climb out the sunroof. They are also somewhat limited on overall length - so you probably would not be able to move your tractor with an implement attached. If you went with a deck over gooseneck, you would have lots more useable deck surface - if that's important to you.

/ 35x, 45x, 55x, 65x series trucks... enlighten me
Thanks for your thoughts and information.

Concerning 'getting out of a car'. I've thought of that, and moving a car/vehicle isn't my primary thought, I'm sure it would come up sooner or later.

I have been thinking about something like the 'fold down side' deck over type trailers from PJ, Load Trail, etc. Similar to what is seen in this video.

215 load trail 96"x16' deckover dump trailer 717-22-422 best choice trailers carlisle pa - YouTube

I'm tempted by the 'one size fits all' category... but I know that it typically does not do so well. But I also don't want a whole yard full of trailers, and was hoping to gain utility without costing too much in price.

As far as DOT/CDL goes... I know I don't really understand the limitations of these requirements and need to learn. Does anyone have a good link explaining the requirements and reasons behind the DOT/CDL restrictions? I understand there is a line that cannot be crossed, but I really don't understand where that line is nor what it represents.

Thanks

/ 35x, 45x, 55x, 65x series trucks... enlighten me #5  
Don't get a SRW truck for this. They are not heavy enough (I have a 5083E with loaded tires and a loader). If you are planning on tractor, loaded tires, loader and a brushhog, you need to be thinking about the 12klbs range. A pintle trailer would be fine but getting one without air brakes is going to be tricky that is also heavy enough. If you aren't sticking with a gooseneck, you are going to need a much larger truck to pull the pintle trailer around. A tractor a brushhog is pretty long load and it is not going to fit on an 18' trailer. It sounds like you need a jack of all trades and that might be tough. You might be better off getting a truck to pull the GN trailers and then an older dump truck for farm use only. That should keep your weights down to modest levels on the highway and be the cheapest insurance/license wise.

If you get beyond 26k with truck and trailer (over 10klbs) you need a class A license.

/ 35x, 45x, 55x, 65x series trucks... enlighten me #6  
Don't get a SRW truck for this. They are not heavy enough (I have a 5083E with loaded tires and a loader). If you are planning on tractor, loaded tires, loader and a brushhog, you need to be thinking about the 12klbs range. A pintle trailer would be fine but getting one without air brakes is going to be tricky that is also heavy enough. If you aren't sticking with a gooseneck, you are going to need a much larger truck to pull the pintle trailer around. A tractor a brushhog is pretty long load and it is not going to fit on an 18' trailer. It sounds like you need a jack of all trades and that might be tough. You might be better off getting a truck to pull the GN trailers and then an older dump truck for farm use only. That should keep your weights down to modest levels on the highway and be the cheapest insurance/license wise.

If you get beyond 26k with truck and trailer (over 10klbs) you need a class A license.

Yes - class A required for 26K and towing more than 10K. If you stay below the 26K number total (by adding the GVWR of truck and trailer - it does not matter if you are actually over 26K, they go by the door panel numbers), then you do not require a CDL, even if you are towing more than 10K.

There are also farm exemptions - but they vary by state. You should investigate Kentucky's laws - as they are all a bit different.

/ 35x, 45x, 55x, 65x series trucks... enlighten me #7  
Also note that in many states qualifying for farm licenses/registration requires not just a farm-type property, but an actual licensed farm business, with tax numbers and such. And getting the tax numbers often requires making periodic income from the farm activities on the property (so a hobby farm that loses money every year can get you in trouble). This will vary by state, and for federal tax use.

On the flip side, some states say that as long as you own more than "x" acres and drive under a 100 miles from the property and don't cross state lines, you qualify for farm plates...sometimes even from the hardware/co-op/feed store.

So it is definitely worth digging into, to know one way or the other.

Also note that in many states qualifying for farm licenses/registration requires not just a farm-type property, but an actual licensed farm business, with tax numbers and such. And getting the tax numbers often requires making periodic income from the farm activities on the property (so a hobby farm that loses money every year can get you in trouble). This will vary by state, and for federal tax use.

On the flip side, some states say that as long as you own more than "x" acres and drive under a 100 miles from the property and don't cross state lines, you qualify for farm plates...sometimes even from the hardware/co-op/feed store.

So it is definitely worth digging into, to know one way or the other.

This is a current Thoroughbred racing business. We are paying more for our boarding than we would pay on a farm, so we decided to bite the bullet and go big or go home.

We have an tax EIN... and we've even made our profit for the 7 year business plan. I'll be sure to post, when we win the Derby and Breeders Cup next year. heh...

In determining GVRW and truck choices.

If I understand it correctly, the combination of GVRW of both the truck and the trailer must be equal to or less than 26,000lbs.

Now... does this mean that if I were to purchase a Ford 650 that in itself, has a GVRW of 26,000lbs, that I would require a CDL in order to tow ANY trailer. But I could drive the truck itself without issue?

And... does, by this formula, getting a F-350 DW truck with a GVRW of 11,200 rather than a SRW F350 with a GVRW of 9,900, mean that my towable amount is actually decreased with the DW? And that moving up to a F550 with a 15K GVRW decreases what I can tow even further?

This makes no sense to me. But, given .gov is involved, it is perfectly believable.

/ 35x, 45x, 55x, 65x series trucks... enlighten me #10  
In determining GVRW and truck choices.

If I understand it correctly, the combination of GVRW of both the truck and the trailer must be equal to or less than 26,000lbs.

Now... does this mean that if I were to purchase a Ford 650 that in itself, has a GVRW of 26,000lbs, that I would require a CDL in order to tow ANY trailer. But I could drive the truck itself without issue?

And... does, by this formula, getting a F-350 DW truck with a GVRW of 11,200 rather than a SRW F350 with a GVRW of 9,900, mean that my towable amount is actually decreased with the DW? And that moving up to a F550 with a 15K GVRW decreases what I can tow even further?

This makes no sense to me. But, given .gov is involved, it is perfectly believable.

You almost have it. If the truck is 25999, the trailer can weigh up to 9999lbs. If the trailer breaks the 10,001lbs mark, it's a class a license. You have to be pretty careful with the numbers when you get close to the magic mark. Over weight tickets are another concern, not only do your tires and axles have to be rated high enough, your tags have to cover the weight as well.