3320 stability

/ 3320 stability #1  

gamecock

Tractor
John Deere 3320
Hey guys, first time poster on the forum, my 3320 arrived this week and was wondering about widening the tires. How do I get the widest stance for stability

/ 3320 stability #2  
Depends on which tires you have. If R4 or R3, just reverse the rear wheels side to side, so the valve stems are on the inside. The other option is to purchase wheel spacers. If you have R1 - read the manual - there are several options.

/ 3320 stability #3  
Yes, what Cinder said. You can also add wheel weights and/or add liquid ballast to rear tires. I opted for liquid ballast and wheel spacers because of the steep hills here where I'm using the 3720.

/ 3320 stability #4  
If you have R1 tires/rims, they can be configured to (up to) a 68.4" rear width. My 3720 came with R4s. It was so unstable on slopes and banks that I found myself up on 3 wheels way too often. Reversing the rims provided almost useless width gains. Over half a ton of liquid ballast on all 4 corners helped some, but ultimately it was 8" of additional rear width that finally established a working degree of stability. It's what I needed to achieve the same 68" of rear width you can get with R1s. Given the supportive construction of my rear extensions, I'm now reconsidering front wheel extensions as well.

R3s are less common, but - without extensions - are unlikely to provide any more stability than R4s. The unstable 3x20 series has been discussed in detail here, try putting the site search engine to work.

//greg//

/ 3320 stability #5  
:welcome: have the dealer do it and load the tires or get wheel weights

/ 3320 stability #6  
Search this forum for Hub spacers, Wheel spacers and you will get to read tons of member's experiences and options for widening the stance of the 3X30 series tractors.

/ 3320 stability
I have R4's and switched them this morning, tractor is used primarily for mowing pasture, mostly flat land, a few hills but not steep at all, also have the 300cx loader. I'm still undecided on filling tires.

/ 3320 stability #8  
If you are new to the tractor and use it mostly on flat land, give it a few weeks. Practically the first bump I hit with my O/S 3320 I thought it was going to tip over. After getting used to it - and I hope I can phrase this correctly - it actually feels more tippy than it really is. With the relatively short wheelbase and relatively narrow tread & no suspension, going over any kind of obstruction especially where both back wheels hit at slightly different times can result in getting pitched all over the place.

I'm not trying to say one couldn't be tipped, but I think the pitch and roll sensation can create anxiety long before an actual problem.

/ 3320 stability #9  
Wait until you're up on three wheels. At that point you'll quickly realize where anxiety crosses over into to reality

//greg//

/ 3320 stability
thanks for all the response guys, good info