3235 Sloppy Steering

/ 3235 Sloppy Steering #1  

Bob_Bainbridge

Platinum Member
I noticed there seemed to be a lot of play in the power steering on my 3 year-old 3235. I was afraid I had hydraulic problems but I got off and rocked the steering wheel back and forth and noticed the steering arm on the left wheel was moving back and forth a bit before the wheels moved. The vertical bolt had become a little loose. Tightening the bolt removed most of the play. I also noticed the end of the steering hydraulic cylinder, which is attached to the frame via a bracket, was moving a little. The bolt goes all the way to the frame so there isn't enough clearance to get a box wrench on the nut. I was able to get an open end wrench on it but the mounting bracket prevents turning the nut far enough to get another bite on the nut. Perhaps I'll have to remove the bracket from the frame if I want to get the nut really tight.
Bob B.

/ 3235 Sloppy Steering #2  
My 1864 has a bit of play in it too. I just figured it was normal. It surely can't have anything worn out with only 140 hrs on it.

I'll take a look at those two points you mentioned.

-Larry

Bob_Bainbridge said:
I noticed there seemed to be a lot of play in the power steering on my 3 year-old 3235. I was afraid I had hydraulic problems but I got off and rocked the steering wheel back and forth and noticed the steering arm on the left wheel was moving back and forth a bit before the wheels moved. The vertical bolt had become a little loose. Tightening the bolt removed most of the play. I also noticed the end of the steering hydraulic cylinder, which is attached to the frame via a bracket, was moving a little. The bolt goes all the way to the frame so there isn't enough clearance to get a box wrench on the nut. I was able to get an open end wrench on it but the mounting bracket prevents turning the nut far enough to get another bite on the nut. Perhaps I'll have to remove the bracket from the frame if I want to get the nut really tight.
Bob B.

/ 3235 Sloppy Steering #3  
Good catch Bob. Different animal, but my 2544 has an annoying amount of slop in the column/shaft support bushing. That's aggrevated the crap out of me since it was new.

Joel

/ 3235 Sloppy Steering #4  
Hmmmm I have a GT 3235 as well (mine is 2 yrs old) and it also displays alot of slop in the steering. I will have to take a look at the spots you mention to see if its the same issue.

Thanks for the info!!!!!