3-Point Hitch 3120 3 Point Hitch will only go up and down

/ 3120 3 Point Hitch will only go up and down #1  

bisignano

Tractor
John Deere 3120
Hey All,
My 3-point hitch on my 3120 won't stay if I move the lever from the highest setting 8 to 6 or below. That is the best way to describe it. I can put the hitch all the way up and it will stay in place, although if it is at the highest setting I get a lot of drag from the hydraulic system. I have to actually feather the control down until I don't hear the hydraulic fluid and get more power to the drive train. I am thinking (hoping) this may be a bad relief valve on the rockshaft housing but don't know. I have the service manual and it really only addresses the rate of drop which on mine is fine. I actually can use the rate of drop knob (bunny and turtle) and speed up or slow down the rate of drop but if I move the lever down past 6 it goes to the ground. Any thoughts??

/ 3120 3 Point Hitch will only go up and down #2  
Sounds like a linkage adjustment.. but I don't have the procedure at hand..
May need to visit your dealer and ask for some help or get a hold of the service tech manual for your tractor.. They are good to have around anyway.

/ 3120 3 Point Hitch will only go up and down #3  
I would guess it is the position control out of adjustment.

/ 3120 3 Point Hitch will only go up and down #4  
Agree. I'd take a real close look at that position control linkage for some pivot point being rusted fast. Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 11.09.45 AM.png