3-pt. Rear Rotary Cutter (bush hog)

/ 3-pt. Rear Rotary Cutter (bush hog) #11  
Early spring of 2020 I bought a Yanmar YRC 720 rotary cutter that is basically identical to a BB72. Yanmar used to make BB I was told. I paid $2100 and the “same” BB was $2300.

It isn’t the most heavy-duty cutter out there but it’s not the least either. I like it and it’s worked great on my plots, trails, and fields.

/ 3-pt. Rear Rotary Cutter (bush hog)
It’s a light duty cutter and Woods entry level economy model. 4’ cutters are not easy to sell and sell cheap. That price is far too high, offer $1200 firm
If you go to the Woods web site, the BB48.03 is listed under their "Premium" line of Rotary Cutters. The other line is the "Standard" grade, so I don't believe this model, BB48.03, is in their entry level or economy line. I think what he is asking, $2,175, is probably fair when you look at other sites like Tractor House and ebay. It doesn't fall into a "smokin deal" category.

/ 3-pt. Rear Rotary Cutter (bush hog) #13  
If you go to the Woods web site, the BB48.03 is listed under their "Premium" line of Rotary Cutters. The other line is the "Standard" grade, so I don't believe this model, BB48.03, is in their entry level or economy line. I think what he is asking, $2,175, is probably fair when you look at other sites like Tractor House and ebay. It doesn't fall into a "smokin deal" category.
Agree, a Brush Bull is not a light duty, entry level cutter.

/ 3-pt. Rear Rotary Cutter (bush hog) #14  
Look at the blades to see if they are beat up as a potential guide to how hard it has been used. I don't know how you'd assess the condition of the gear box and drive shafts. But if the blades show a beating, you wouldn't want to pay top dollar for something that was used hard and then traded in.

4' units don't sell well because you're probably only going to get an effective 3'-3.5' cut by the time you overlap passes. 5' is more tolerable if your tractor can handle the weight and HP requirements for the material you will be cutting.

/ 3-pt. Rear Rotary Cutter (bush hog) #15  
No it's not a light duty entry level cutter. But 600lbs, 65hp gearbox, 2' capacity and 12ga deck makes it a far cry from heavy duty.

But most people looking for a 48" have a little scut and don't want/need a heavy duty cutter either.

It's a fine cutter, but price is steep IMO.

Still have no idea what tractor this is gonna be ran with

No it's not a light duty entry level cutter. But 600lbs, 65hp gearbox, 2' capacity and 12ga deck makes it a far cry from heavy duty.

But most people looking for a 48" have a little scut and don't want/need a heavy duty cutter either.

It's a fine cutter, but price is steep IMO.

Still have no idea what tractor this is gonna be ran with
You're exactly right. I'm looking for a 4 footer (48 inch) because it will be used with a Kubota BX25D. I think a 5 footer would really be pushing the weight limit and the HP needed to run it. What little acreage I have to do with it really doesn't require a heavy duty cutter. Plus, I don't mind that it only takes a 3 1/2 foot cut. I enjoy my time in the seat. :)

Look at the blades to see if they are beat up as a potential guide to how hard it has been used. I don't know how you'd assess the condition of the gear box and drive shafts. But if the blades show a beating, you wouldn't want to pay top dollar for something that was used hard and then traded in.

4' units don't sell well because you're probably only going to get an effective 3'-3.5' cut by the time you overlap passes. 5' is more tolerable if your tractor can handle the weight and HP requirements for the material you will be cutting.
My tractor is a little Kubota BX25D. That's why I was looking at the 4 footers. I think a 5 foot cutter would be a bit too much for that little tractor. Thanks for your reply.

/ 3-pt. Rear Rotary Cutter (bush hog) #18  
I use a BB48 on my BX2360. Many times when traveling it feels like the front wheels are going to lift off the ground. Probably it would handle better with weight in the bucket. I wouldn't want heavier, but wider would be useful.

BXwithmower.JPG

Bruce

/ 3-pt. Rear Rotary Cutter (bush hog) #19  
You might consider getting a lighter cutter. This one from TSC is 345 lbs. countyline-rotary-cutter-4-ft

Your other option is to watch for a used 4' cutter in your local for sale ads or farm auctions.

/ 3-pt. Rear Rotary Cutter (bush hog) #20  
If you want light and inexpensive look at a BigBee 4 or maybe 5 foot. I ran a 5 foot on my John Deere 756 which is 3 cyl, diesel 20 HP and about 15-18 PTO HP.
The 5 foot did pretty good but can bog it down also. It is a surprisingly tough cutter.

Also a John Deere RC2048 would be a nice one. A good one should go for under 1K. A new one well outfitted is about what they want for the used BB48.