3-Point Hitch 3 pt lowers then returns to position

/ 3 pt lowers then returns to position #1  

93Mustang

Silver Member
Tractor
JD ##@)
I have noticed that my 3pt hitch will sag a bit and return to position (i don't notice the sag as much as the abrupt return to position) during normal operation under normal throttle. Thoughts on what could be causing this? I have a power beyond plumbed in to the system.

/ 3 pt lowers then returns to position #2  
That your 3320 ?

/ 3 pt lowers then returns to position #3  
3 pt piston seal rings or o rings under the 3 pt control valve.

/ 3 pt lowers then returns to position #4  
What kind of tractor and does it have draft control?

/ 3 pt lowers then returns to position #5  
What kind of tractor and does it have draft control?

+1, sorta sounds like draft control lifting it up.

If you look at the top link attachment on the tractor, you should be able to see plungers going into the back of the tractor, behind the holes where the pin for the top link goes. These will sense when the 3 point is put under too much pressure and will lift it up so the tractor can continue pulling without breaking or bending things.

Tractors with draft control, the sensitivity is adjustable with a secondary lever beside the 3 point lever. Some tractors do not have a draft control but will still lift the 3 point when it gets under too much load.

Which of the three holes used for the top link attachment will change the behavior also.

/ 3 pt lowers then returns to position #6  
Just a first though but draft control will do this if either the lever is lifted or the rod length that controls lever travel is not correctly adjusted. You don't just overreact and start turning things, however, until it's known if this is the problem. I have seen it before.

/ 3 pt lowers then returns to position #7  
My 4410 used to do this. I finally got tired of it and adjusted the linkage enough for it to go away.

On my 4410 there is an adjustable bolt attached to the left three point lift arm where it comes out of the housing on the top of the transmission. It's the rod that matches the three point to where you have the position control set. I don't remember exactly but I think I adjusted the bolt half a turn and the problem went away. This was after the dealer told me they couldn't do anything about it.

Edited to add that sixdogs and I are on the same wave length. If you adjust the bolt a little and it gets worse then you know you need to adjust the other way.

/ 3 pt lowers then returns to position
yes it is a 3320 - i will start with a slight adjustment to the bolt on the lift arm. Thank You!