3 pt lift vs sickle bar

/ 3 pt lift vs sickle bar #1  

tjones59

Tractor
1958 Ford 861
Not sure if this is the right forum. If not hopefully someone can point me to it.

I have a 1959 MF 50 that I bought last year. The guy never used any attachments on it just the loader. I have a JD 39N sickle bar I mow around my pond with. My old Ford 861 powermaster had no problems lifting and mowing with this attached. When I hook it to the MF 50 it won't lift it high enough for the blade end to be off of the ground. I've played with the draft control but it still won't raise it all the way off the ground. The weird thing is the lift arms are only about an inch or two from being up as high as they'll go, nearly touching the top.

When I bought the tractor I stood on the lift and had him raise it. I weigh 285 so I figured it was OK. I put my 6' box blade on it which is pretty heavy and it lifts it like it's not even there. I can't imagine the sickle bar is so much heavier it can't lift it but I am probably wrong. Looking for any suggestions before I sell this MF 50 and give up buying used equipment.

/ 3 pt lift vs sickle bar #2  
Photos of the hitch area would help us to see what is happening.

One idea:
There may be enough slack in all the joints, that when lifting an offset load the far end doesn't lift much. Maybe you could shorten the RH lift link to raise the end.

Bruce

/ 3 pt lift vs sickle bar
Photos of the hitch area would help us to see what is happening.

One idea:
There may be enough slack in all the joints, that when lifting an offset load the far end doesn't lift much. Maybe you could shorten the RH lift link to raise the end.

Bruce

Bruce, Thanks for the reply. I've tried adjusting the leveling box but it still doesn't raise it off of the ground. The LH side is up 6" - 10" from the ground. I can take pictures of the lift but it will be a while. I have the mower up on 6x6's to keep if off of the ground. I have to use the loader and a chain to get it off of there and then hook it up to the tractor since the lift won't pick it up.

I wish I would have thought of taking pictures when I had it hooked up the last time! duhhh...Of course I also wish I hadn't put my fingers in between the blades when I tried to life up the right side. I found out the hard way how stupid that was. Nearly lost a finger.