3-Pt Hitch Stabilizers Loosened By Tractor Vibration

/ 3-Pt Hitch Stabilizers Loosened By Tractor Vibration #1  

Haoleguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5325; Landini Mistral 50
My Landini Mistral uses a turnbuckle and rods with a single jam nut for each of the three pt hitch stabilizer bars. The jam nut loosens as does the turnbuckle from vibration with any 3 pt attachment. I added a reverse threaded jam nut to lock in both sides but this does little to stop the stabilizer getting loose. A split lock washer is impossible to tighten or loosen easily as it is ~7/8 inch(22M) diameter and basically gouges the turnbuckle. My thoughts are some kind of curved or wave spring washers might be the trick but unfortunately they seem to be hard to find. Any thoughts on how to get the stabilizers to stay tight? Since this Landini is narrow getting wrenches around the 3 pt hitch to tighten the jam nuts is tough let alone giving them some torque....Thank you, Gary

/ 3-Pt Hitch Stabilizers Loosened By Tractor Vibration #2  
My Kubs have turnbuckles that hold the arms outward. I assume yours are the same. Can you set the width before putting on the implement? That way you could have room to tighten well. ... Or maybe find more suitable tools that make it easier to work around the obstructions?

/ 3-Pt Hitch Stabilizers Loosened By Tractor Vibration
Spyderlk - Thanks for the reply. The Mistral is narrow(overall width 54 inches) which means presetting the width is impossible as most attachment cat 1 rods are overlapping the tires. I will definitely check on the tools side to see if something can deal with the tight space and still give me leverage. At the moment I fiddle with large Crescent wrenches.

/ 3-Pt Hitch Stabilizers Loosened By Tractor Vibration #4  
Check out this tool. The 10-LW will clamp on nuts from about 5/8 up to pretty huge. Once you get it in place you dont have to hold it. I get enuf leverage without extending it but I may have a better situation. A short piece of ~ 3/4 pipe over the adjuster handle would be a good extension. Clamp it on a bolt, rod, or nut on the tractor to store it.

Object moved

Spyderlk - Interesting tool. Not sure I have the area to have it be effective but I will check it out. I'll try and take a picture of the area later today.

RiT - Had not thought about that. I'll have to consider the attachments I use most often and see if the measurements work. Most often(daily/weekly) I switch between a Ferri flail mower, Rears PakTank sprayer, Braun LUV-Perfekt weeder, and a dump trailer(tongue hitch). The PTO shaft on the Ferri is offset and the Rears has a shorty 2 piece PTO shaft which I need to consider. Thank you for the suggestion.

/ 3-Pt Hitch Stabilizers Loosened By Tractor Vibration #7  
001.JPGBoth of mine have turnbuckles with a hole drilled through one rod,inside the turnbuckle,and a simple hair pin stuck in keeps the turnbuckle from unscrewing.They came that way from the factory.

Forgot to mention that my stabilizers are on the outside of the lower link arms towards the tires...hence the cramped working quarters. Just realized that many manufacturers put them inside towards the pto.

/ 3-Pt Hitch Stabilizers Loosened By Tractor Vibration #9  
View attachment 439339Both of mine have turnbuckles with a hole drilled through one rod,inside the turnbuckle,and a simple hair pin stuck in keeps the turnbuckle from unscrewing.They came that way from the factory.
Im going to remember that trick. Thanks for posting!

/ 3-Pt Hitch Stabilizers Loosened By Tractor Vibration #10  
Forgot to mention that my stabilizers are on the outside of the lower link arms towards the tires...hence the cramped working quarters. Just realized that many manufacturers put them inside towards the pto.
My L Kubs are like that. Narrow too. Thats why I thot you could pre adjust and use it for several implements w/o changing adjustment.
larry