3-Point Hitch 3 PT Hitch Log Splitter

/ 3 PT Hitch Log Splitter #1  

Jack Murdock

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2032R
I have a JD2302R with power beyond the hydraulic system is 9.3 GPM with 4 for the power steering and 5.3 at the power beyond. I have a Timberwolf TW5 currently but am no longer splitting a lot of firewood so I toying with selling the TW 5 and adding a 3PT splitter and valve and running it off the tractor hydraulics. I am looking for input before I spend money on a valve and hoses . I have an older Speeco splitter with a 4" cylinder / 2" ram and 36" stroke with no valve. Thoughts on cycle time and splitter tonnage ?

Thanks in advance for experiences and inputs.

Jack

/ 3 PT Hitch Log Splitter #2  
There is no way I'd make that trade. I'd lose the by far most useful aspect of splitting wood: The use of the FEL to lift the rounds and hold them while I'm splitting.

/ 3 PT Hitch Log Splitter #3  
I have a JD2302R with power beyond the hydraulic system is 9.3 GPM with 4 for the power steering and 5.3 at the power beyond. I have a Timberwolf TW5 currently but am no longer splitting a lot of firewood so I toying with selling the TW 5 and adding a 3PT splitter and valve and running it off the tractor hydraulics. I am looking for input before I spend money on a valve and hoses . I have an older Speeco splitter with a 4" cylinder / 2" ram and 36" stroke with no valve. Thoughts on cycle time and splitter tonnage ?

Thanks in advance for experiences and inputs.

Jack
First of all, you will need a tank, and the hoses/valve have to be sized for the pump, actually, so does the cylinder... You can make a nice 3 point splitter out of it, just so you don't expect it to replace your TW5.

You can stage the rounds on a trailer, you don't need to use the loader for that. I do just that and prefer to do it that way...

SR

/ 3 PT Hitch Log Splitter #4  
Let's not start the pros and cons of a 3 point splitter again. It's pretty clear there are some of us who don't use the loader to split into or out of and don't expect to live long enough to worry about a few extra hours on the tractor and don't want to maintain another small engine. There are others who absolutely need to use the tractor for something else while they are splitting and couldn't work with a 3 point splitter. That's why both types are available.

It a 3 point splitter would work for the OP, I think he should definitely give it a try.

/ 3 PT Hitch Log Splitter #5  
Well said KennyG