3 point lever really hard to move, and I bent it - 2014 Mahindra Max 22

/ 3 point lever really hard to move, and I bent it - 2014 Mahindra Max 22 #1  

approx

Tractor
Mahindra Max 22 HST
The 3 point lever has been getting progressively harder to move over the years, now requiring dismounting from the tractor and pushing with two hands. I sprayed what I could reach with some PB Blaster lubricant, but even then I ended up bending the lever pushing too hard on it tonight. There must be something I can do to fix it. Found a couple of internet posts that recommended loosening a nut of some kind, but couldn't figure out what or where, and maybe it's not even relevant to my particular model. I did pull the seat & plate off and sprayed more lubricant on what I thought may be connected to it (that's the wetness in the last picture), but it hasn't seemed to help so far.

Would appreciate any advise any of you can give!

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

/ 3 point lever really hard to move, and I bent it - 2014 Mahindra Max 22 #2  
From the 3rd pic, it appears you have a hydraulic leak. Maybe a significant one. Have you checked the hydraulic oil level in the reservoir to see if you're low? That could (not saying it is) be one possible cause.

I have a different model than you, but on my linkage there is a tensioner spring that can be adjusted by turning a nut.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck.
I'm sure other guys will respond to help you out.

/ 3 point lever really hard to move, and I bent it - 2014 Mahindra Max 22
Sorry for the confusion in the 3rd pic - no hydraulic leak (at least there), I had just sprayed that with some PB Blaster. It was bone-dry beforehand.

I'll check the hydraulic levels, but I do suspect that's not the issue, as the other hydraulics work fine (backhoe attachment, loader bucket), and there was no change in the behavior after I did the most recent hydraulic fluid/filter change.

I am curious too - the last picture shows a thin metal plate with two holes in it just about in the center of the picture. It's lose, can "twang" it by pulling it and letting it go. What's the purpose of this plate? Is it supposed to be attached to the top of the metal block below it? Looks like there's a bolt hole that probably aligns with it. But what's the purpose of it?

/ 3 point lever really hard to move, and I bent it - 2014 Mahindra Max 22 #5  
OK, I looked a little closer to the last picture per your comments. That plate with 2 holes looks completely out of place. It almost looks like that plate was mounted to the shifting axle inside the "U" bracket just below the shift lever. I see a shiny flat spot on that piece of metal.

But I have no idea what it's supposed to do, unless it's a stabilizer of some sort.

Just thought of something else. The round knob that is under the seat to control the download travel speed of an implement (left knob on the pic) might be cranked down too far. Doubt if that's an issue for shifting, but might be worth checking out.

Send the last picture to the dealer to see if they can help you. I'm not familiar with your model.

/ 3 point lever really hard to move, and I bent it - 2014 Mahindra Max 22 #6  
The parts circled looked like they might not be aligned properly. Could something have become twisted?

Attachments

• B.JPG
    B.JPG
    348 KB · Views: 168
OK, I looked a little closer to the last picture per your comments. That plate with 2 holes looks completely out of place. It almost looks like that plate was mounted to the shifting axle inside the "U" bracket just below the shift lever. I see a shiny flat spot on that piece of metal.

But I have no idea what it's supposed to do, unless it's a stabilizer of some sort.

Just thought of something else. The round knob that is under the seat to control the download travel speed of an implement (left knob on the pic) might be cranked down too far. Doubt if that's an issue for shifting, but might be worth checking out.

Send the last picture to the dealer to see if they can help you. I'm not familiar with your model.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure what the shifting axle is - honestly, this is the first time I've ever had the seat cover off so I'm not really sure what I'm looking at yet! But yes, it does seem out of place. It's attached to the rod that seems to be the same rod the 3 pt lever is attached to.

The round knob has been full-open for as long as I can remember. I did play with it yesterday to see if it would make any difference in how the lever acted and no difference. I've seen some videos where that fixed other people's 3 pt issues, but their issues were not a hard-to-push lever, it was just that the lever didn't do anything.

I'll see if my dealer is willing to support via email/phone. I'm hoping I don't have to bring it in because it'll be a month+ wait to get it looked at. :(

The parts circled looked like they might not be aligned properly. Could something have become twisted?
Interesting! I'll have to get a better picture of that, it's hard for me to tell at this point or from the picture.

/ 3 point lever really hard to move, and I bent it - 2014 Mahindra Max 22 #9  
There shouldn't be much force needed, well below the pressure for the bending of the control levers. When you try maneuvering the lever. The 3 point hitch moves when you control it?

I would take the arms off and straighten them. Make sure they don't rub on a shroud. On my 3510 the control arms are held on with a pin and an 8mm screw. Next Start unbolting the U frame mount. At some point it should be apparent at what is binding

Perhaps there is corrosion in the bushing there.

Next time something starts going wrong, some friendly advice, do the preventative maintenance before it gets tore up.

/ 3 point lever really hard to move, and I bent it - 2014 Mahindra Max 22 #10  
Watching this thread......

I have a 2216 with a 3pt hitch lever that also seems to have gotten harder operate, but not to the point where it might bend. It did seem to loosen up after using it, but it's still not like it was when the tractor was new. I did spray some lube around the moving parts and not sure it got to anywhere where it might help. The only use the 3pt hitch gets used for is a rear blade for clearing snow in the Winter, so it doesn't see much use normally. Had been waiting for better weather to take a closer look at it.