3 point disc, first welding project in a long time

/ 3 point disc, first welding project in a long time #1  

jdmar

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 5425 & 4300, Yanmar 1500
I bought an old drag disc for $50 last year but needed one I could lift over areas I didn't want to disc...so I needed to convert it to a 3pt model. I kept the actual discs and shaft and got rid of the entire old rotted/rusted drag frame. I like a drag disc since it flexes and follows the land contours better but I disc relatively flat areas...and what isn't flat becomes flat after a few passes.

It is built from 2" square tubing (should have used bigger but it is lasting so far). Last year I designed it on a big sheet of cardboard to make sure it all fit right, then welded it and used it on about 3 acres...but it was too light. So I molded concrete pads and set them on top...still too light and the concrete was trashing the metal.

The helper is my oldest (not quite 4 yet).

Attachments

• 419299-disc one.jpg
    419299-disc one.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,747
   / 3 point disc, first welding project in a long time #2  
Good looking disc. GREAT looking helper!/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron

/ 3 point disc, first welding project in a long time
This year I added two plates of steel about 3" from others to bracket the lower lift arms of the tractor...the old set-up was too lightweight and started to bend just a small bit. I used to have lift pins bolted to the disc. Now I lower my tractor's lift arms between the two brackets and insert a 7/8" pin from TSC to hold the disc frame to the tractor lift arms...stronger and easier to hook up too!

I also cut a 50 gallon drum in half and bolted both halves to the frame. Inside I have many old brake discs, and some bricks. As soon as I get some more gravel I will fill with some of that too. It already works MUCH better with the added weight. It really digs in and turns the soil better...but I have to be in 4wd!

Now this is not the quality of Wrought'n-Harv (he's an artist...I just hope my welds hold!)...but it works for me. I just repainted it after the new welds and the damage from last years concrete pads. I learned to weld in Pearl Harbor over 20 years ago and hadn't done any until I made this last year.

By the way , my boys aren't usually that dirty...their usually worse!! And yes my 2 year old did put his boots on and come out in his pajamas....it sure is nice living where the neighbors don't care about such "lack of fasion!" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 419302-disc two.jpg
    419302-disc two.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,246
   / 3 point disc, first welding project in a long time #4  
Great pic. Reminds me of the photo I've seen with one little boy talking to another. Caption says "Been Farmin' Long?"

Love it.
Ron

/ 3 point disc, first welding project in a long time #5  
Looks good, one thing I would like to point out though is that it looks like your oldest son has his shoes on the wrong feet! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Gotta love kids

I believe he put the shoes on...he loves being outside so much he just rushes out the door wearing anything he can find. Now I have also put his shoes on....and mixed it up too...guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree after all!

Peter (very proud daddy)

/ 3 point disc, first welding project in a long time #7  
Another option you may want to look into for more weight is too build a basket or rack in the front between your lift arms. You'll need to check to see if you have enough room between your arms and this will add a considerable amount of weight to the front gangs. A great sourceof weight to consider is rear wheel eights off of older tractors. With this setup you can can also add weight to the back by lengthening your top link. This won't neccesarliy add weight to the back gangs it will just add more down pressure to the back which will make it seem like their is more weight in the rear. With the weights in the front rack and more pressure to the rear it would act like it has more weight on it than it actually does. I have used a 7" disk of a neighbor's for several years and it works awesome. Looks like a nice little setup you got there.

So far it is working really well since I added the weight. And I stumbled upon the need to change the toplink length to adjust rear pressure. That also makes a huge difference...you are correct on that one!

So far my only regret is painting those drums yellow...just a bit tooooo much yellow if you ask me....NASA already called and thanked me for the positioning beacon! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The nice thing about the drums is that I got them from a local fiberglass shop. So they are "naturally lined" with a 1/4" thick layer of fiberglass resin...should have little rust problem there!

peter

/ 3 point disc, first welding project in a long time #9  
jdmar, your project reminds me of Doc Emmitt Brown apologizing to Marty McFly about his "crude" model of how to get the 6 gigawatts (or whatever it was) of electricity to the Dalorean(sp?). The "crude" model consisted of what appeared to be carefully constructed scale models of buildings, streets and the car itself.

Anyway, its a beautiful disc, painted green, even the ends of the spindles are painted green. Nice touch. My "new" disc from tractor supply didn't look that good when I bought it.......

/ 3 point disc, first welding project in a long time #10  
Nice looking disc, I see you have great tastes in paint colors too! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif