Chipper 3 point chipper.

/ 3 point chipper. #41  
One guy thinks a drum chipper is fine. In the early eighties I used one a lot because there wasn't access to a real good one. Drum chippers make crappy chips if you want to handle them. And they are not user friendly machines compared to disc and knife which is the the only way to go if you are going to use one extensively.

Winching trees to chip to your chipper may seem like a good way to go. You might find out not a good way to go because you are dragging your limbs and such in the dirt or worse yet, gravel. Sooner or later you might find out your knives are taking an unnecessary beating which makes for crappy chips and puts a load on your machine. Knife maintenance is a real key to optimum chipper performance with the feed process and the end result.

Professional chipper owners usually have machines that present easy access to the wheel and the knives. Often they hone or touch up their knives in between removal and change outs. Most communities have saw sharpening and chipper/bed knife shops or they send them out to be surfaced. It is the pro way to go.

/ 3 point chipper. #42  
I just sent out the knives to be sharpened on my 12" PTO Disk chipper. Double sided knives. $80.00 CDN (tax in I think). I thought that a bit much but they looked like new.

/ 3 point chipper. #43  
Do a search on here for Woodmaxx and I think you will see most people are pretty happy with them. I am very pleased with ours!!

I concur. I have had mine for three years this month. So far so good and I look forward to owning and enjoying the future. Annnnd it's one of those things I won't ever lend out.