3 phase equipment protection

/ 3 phase equipment protection #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
The company I work for recently received a notice from our power company regarding protection of equipment running on 3 phase power. It seems the Illinois general assembly passed an act called Future Energy Jobs Act (FEJA). This requires our power company to implement "Voltage Optimization" (VO). It says the following;

What is Voltage Optimization?
It has long been a common practice for Ameren Illinois to set voltage levels at the substation on the upper end of the allowable range to ensure appropriate voltage levels are maintained for all customers. With today's technology, including cost effective sensors, controls and communication systems, we can maintain consistent voltage levels at the lower end of the allowable range throughout the entire circuit. This helps ensure our customers use only the energy they need. In turn, we have a cleaner and more efficient energy system.

Ameren Illinois has started an aggressive plan to optimize voltage on more then 1,000 circuits by 2025. Each of these VO controlled circuits will be monitored and regulated to keep all customers at the lower end of the allowable voltage range. Under the Illinois Commerce Commission approved plan, we are targeted to achieve an annual cumulative savings of 1.5% by 2025 for our entire system. An independent third party organization will measure and verify our results.

Three phase customers have the responsibility to protect their equipment against single phasing and voltage changes.

We have about 8 machines that run on 3 phase power. In the 24 years that we've been at this location we've only had a problem one time about 18 years ago. One of the legs dropped and it fried one of our motors that happened to be running at the time. I'm a little concerned that the changes being made may lead to more problems than we've had in the past. I'm planning to talk to our electrical contractor the next time he's in the building, usually he's replacing ballasts on ancient light fixture here.

Does anyone have any thoughts on actions we should take given our circumstances?

/ 3 phase equipment protection #2  
Add phase monitors to everything and set them to drop out at 6% intolerance-the power company says 10% is acceptable but I work on chillers that cost well into the 6 figure range and 6 percent is where they need to be to save the motors and compressors from harm

/ 3 phase equipment protection #3  
If the voltage is too low entering your facility, the feeding transformer can be re-tapped to increase the voltage. Or this can be done inside if you have transformers.

For a motor with a starter, it shouldn't be an issue. If there are VFDs on the machines, they may be more sensitive. If you think there is a problem, ask your electrician to connect a Power Quality Meter to your feed. This can show all the information including voltage, amperage, power factor, and hertz.

Power Factor may be an issue for the utility. Some utilities' rate structures charge for Power Factor Correction.

/ 3 phase equipment protection #4  
Many times power company's have the voltage at the substation buss a little high to compensate for load and loss towards the tail end of the circuit, this is especially true for un-regulated circuits, most all of that can be corrected with capacitor banks and voltage regulator banks, which is probably a lot of what they are going to do, most likely sent the letter to cover their behind, the company I retired from tried to keep secondary voltage at the customer within + or - 5%.