3 cyl John Deere 820 starter help needed.

/ 3 cyl John Deere 820 starter help needed.
I put new terminals on the cables. I have a crimping tool that does a nice job. This tractor sat a long time before I got it. The starter is probably corroded inside. One thing I've experienced over the years is a machine that has been sitting any length of time, the starter will probably give you trouble. I have bought quite a few surplus military vehicles in my life, and most all were very low miles, sometimes just a couple thousand. If I didn't sell it quick, it would need a starter because military vehicles sit a lot, same goes for generators, and alternators, but starters were at the top of the list. I can't rule out a cable 100% but neither one has a bad connection which usually shows up under a load.

/ 3 cyl John Deere 820 starter help needed. #23  
Usually clockwise is normal spin direction looking at the front of the engine. Same as tightening on the crank bolt (if you had one accessable). But I would second California above and recommend you look at the fan

That is unless your dealing with a gm 8cyl boat motor and some more-theory-than-practical-experience engineer thought spinning it backwards was a good idea...

/ 3 cyl John Deere 820 starter help needed. #24  
Maybe a box end wrench that ratchets could work if it's short and will ratchet just a little at a time. Who makes that?
Lots of them out there. I have found the ratcheting box ends, are slightly bigger and not useful ing tighter places. Be woth a try tho.

/ 3 cyl John Deere 820 starter help needed.
You mentioned putting new terminals on the cables, and unless I missed something, you are still running the old cables. I've had cables that went bad and steered me toward a new starter. I saw the same symptoms that you see. Nothing worked until I swapped out the cables.
I'm here to eat some crow! Uncle Charlie was right! I'm so happy he was since I now don't need to remove the starter. I decided to move the cables around when I had the starter button pushed, and it started. I think what is happening was the solenoid has one small wire going to it that was activating it producing the clunk. The main cable going to the solenoid was dead, and while the small wire could activate the solenoid that was all it could do. That's why I could get nothing from shorting across the main terminals. No amount of tapping could help the starter. I need a new positive cable.

/ 3 cyl John Deere 820 starter help needed. #26  
Good for you full choke. Little mishaps happen. I’m so glad you were open minded enough to heed uncle Charlie! A lot on here think the right answer is the answer is the one they want to hear! Pays to read and think