2WD GMC 2500HD

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #11  
I'm completely happy with my 2 wheel drive 1993 Chevy Silverado C2500 ext cab 2 door, 6.5 ft box (would prefer 8 ft box), 350 cid V8, has 156,000 kms / 97,000 miles ... bought it 5 yrs ago. I drive it daily, but not insured in winter months.

1623388360856.png

I don't often have it out in fields, and it can occasionally get stuck in soft, wet areas. Not used in winters. However, I plan to put some aggressive All Terrain tires on it in the next few months, and then it should be unstuckable. It is a beast of a workhorse, but 4x4 would be a bit better (I sold the 2007 GMC K1500 Crew Cab with all the bells and whistles, didn't need it after the kids were independent)

We have an all wheel drive SUV for year round needs.

But, If/When I was replacing my truck ... definitely a 4x4 is my choice.

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #13  
I agree, it will be fine as long as you keep it on pavement or flat dry ground. It’s been weeks since I put mine in 4wd.

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #14  
It probably has the 4l80e for a tranny if it's an auto gasser as op stated. I had one in my 2wd GMC 3500 dump with the reliably gutless 350. Was a great truck but the tranny was getting weak no matter how frequently I dropped the pan and changed the filter/fluid, rarely went into OD anymore I highly recommend you pm the tranny if you get it. The 2wd with duals running transforce at tires had nowhere near the traction my 2500 does with 4wd especially on hills and sand. But my old 3500 still hauled and towed what I needed it to do.

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #15  
Original poster said Duramax. Another poster got us off on tangent about the transmission.

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #16  
Hello all,

I am looking at potentially buying a 2005 2WD GMC 2500HD. I will be using to pull my TC40 and hauling things from Lowes, etc. I have always owned 4WD trucks and I am worried/paranoid I will be making a mistake buying a 2WD. It handles great and has the Duramax with plenty of power. I am just worried about getting stuck in wet grass. I don't plan on any off-road excursions with this truck.

Any opinions on 2WD Trucks?

Thanks
Want to help, but a bit confused. You say no off road excursions, but stuck on wet grass is an off road excursion.
I think that truck would be great on road and pavement. In fact, the Duramax/allison and 11.5” rear is arguably one of the best drivetrains out there. Just check the rockers, cab corners and rear bed for rust.

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #17  
Original poster said Duramax. Another poster got us off on tangent about the transmission.
Apologies thought a reply was the op haven't had all my coffee, should see what Duramax engine code it is believe around that time frame is the more sought after dm . My 2¢

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #18  
If it has the G80 Detroit Locker rear end, that’ll help. The trick to having a two wheel drive truck is knowing it’s limitations and to have enough sense to stop spinning the wheels when it gets stuck and get out and do something to get unstuck before it digs a hole. One thing that can help a lot is to drop the tire pressure on the rears to 30# or so when you know you’ll be operating off road for a while. Of course you need to remember to pump them back up if you’re going to run at speed on the highway. Buy some chains for it too if you get it, no fun to put on, but they’re great for snow and ice. I’ve had a 2006 2500HD albeit a 6.0 gas since new, been off road on construction sites many times, seldom truly stuck, but have had to get out from time to time with a shovel to help it out. On a farm, there should be a tractor nearby, so there’s always that option to pull it out should all else fail.

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #19  
If it has the G80 Detroit Locker rear end, that’ll help. The trick to having a two wheel drive truck is knowing it’s limitations and to have enough sense to stop spinning the wheels when it gets stuck and get out and do something to get unstuck before it digs a hole. One thing that can help a lot is to drop the tire pressure on the rears to 30# or so when you know you’ll be operating off road for a while. Of course you need to remember to pump them back up if you’re going to run at speed on the highway. Buy some chains for it too if you get it, no fun to put on, but they’re great for snow and ice. I’ve had a 2006 2500HD albeit a 6.0 gas since new, been off road on construction sites many times, seldom truly stuck, but have had to get out from time to time with a shovel to help it out. On a farm, there should be a tractor nearby, so there’s always that option to pull it out should all else fail.

I hardly ever get my 2wd trucks stuck because I know what their limitations are. Pretty much dry grass and pavement lol.

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD
Want to help, but a bit confused. You say no off road excursions, but stuck on wet grass is an off road excursion.
I think that truck would be great on road and pavement. In fact, the Duramax/allison and 11.5” rear is arguably one of the best drivetrains out there. Just check the rockers, cab corners and rear bed for rust.
When I stated wet grass I meant my yard or families yard. I have a little bit of slope in my yard but also have tractor there if I get stuck. Every HD truck I had could get stuck in wet grass. I do not plan on driving off road in the mud or up and down hills. My uncle has a 2WD F250 and seems to do fine. I know I will need to be more attentive where I am going. Just never had a 2WD.

The good thing is I will be paying cash for it. Trying to stay away from auto loan. I currently have a little Tacoma 4x4 for hunting/off road use, just cannot pull the tractor or big trailer with it. The only reason I am doing this is because I had a newer f250 that the dealer bought back from me. I could not believe what they paid me to get the truck back. Never would of though I would make money off of a truck purchase. Strange times. The only problem is replacing it. lol I just want to have something strong enough to pull the trailer an d tractor if needed.