2710 Service Tips

/ 2710 Service Tips #1  

DaleW

Silver Member
Tractor
B2710 FEL with a 72 inch mid mount mower and teltrax canopy
Just broke 50 hours on my 2710 and performed the service myself. The following are some tips that may help someone else doing the service.
I bought a 15 quart oil drain pan from my local auto zone store and the extra capacity came in handy on the transmission oil.
I started with the engine oil....no brainer here, just be sure to empty both sides of the pan (2 drains). I went to my local Kubota dealer for the oil and filters and there was a bit of controversy over the correct filter to use. In fact there are 2 filters that Kubota cross references, an 090 ($4.75) and a 099 ($10.25) (last 3 of the part number).
I went with the 099 as it was getting near to closing time.
The difference in the two is about 1 1/2 inches in length. The 099 is the smaller and after it is installed, it is partially concealed by the lower radiator hose and makes for a difficult removal at the next service. I would recommend going with the 090 part number as it fits fine behind the side grill. While I was at the dealer I picked up 2 five gallon empty oil buckets that they were going to throw away anyway. They make a great way to collect the used oil and all told, I just about filled up one bucket with all the oil I changed.
When changing the trans fluid, start by opening the drain by the PTO shaft as this is where you will get the most fluid out. Make sure that the drain pan is empty to start with as it fills up fast. Once that is drained, I went to the rear drains then to the front transmission drain.
It is a little more expensive ($42 opposed to $36) to buy UDT in gallon jugs but much easier to handle when refilling. I used a flexible spout funnel and hooked it into the top link catch and routed it into the filler hole.
I drained the front axle and found it easier to get a drain pan under if I took the wheel off. I used the loader to raise the front end just so the wheels were off the ground.
Be sure to put a jack stand below the axle to catch it if the FEL springs a leak. I was able to tilt the front axle and get a fast drain. Again I used the flex spout funnel to refill.
For those of you with a mid mower, don't forget the gear box as the 50 hr service applies here too.
If Kubota is listening, the dipstick for the trans and front axle needs redesign. It is very difficult to see the level of fresh UDT on a yellow stick.
The fuel filter although not required at 50 hrs was replaced anyway as it was a cheepie ($2.75)
If only one thing here helps someone, it was worth all the typing.
Happy tractoring
Dale

/ 2710 Service Tips #2  
Did you clean the screens in the hyd. system? This is one task that isn't mentioned in the owners manual that comes with the tractor, it however is mentioned in the shop manual of you buy it. My neighbor has a B2710 and thought it was interesting how the 2 books differed from one and other, I would go with the shop manual recomendations because some of Kubotas later manuals show that the screen or screens need cleaning at the 50 hr mark, my neighbor found some small flakes of metal on his screens.

/ 2710 Service Tips #3  
Unless they changed something since my 1999 B2710 manuals were printed, the "operator's manual", as well as the shop manual, does show to clean the strainers when you change the transmission fluid on page 54.

Bird

/ 2710 Service Tips
Sorry for the oversight on leaving that task out. Yes the screen was cleaned and it was much easier after I took off the rear wheel to get at the screen and the filter. Fortunately the screen was clean.
Dale

/ 2710 Service Tips #5  
Did you get both of them; one on each side? They're a little awkward, but not too bad, so I've not tried removing a wheel to to it.

Bird

/ 2710 Service Tips
Thanks Bird...
I didn't know there were two of them. I'll have another look tonight.

/ 2710 Service Tips #7  
Dale, I guess you know those strainers are screwed right into the hydraulic tank or reservoir, so if you missed one, I think I'd wait until the next hydraulic oil change to get it, because if you don't drain the hydraulic oil first, be prepared for a flood./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird

/ 2710 Service Tips #8  
Dale, Bird,
Thanks for the tips, they
will surely help me when I get ready to do the 50 hr. service on my 2910. Tips
like these, I print and
stick in my shop manual so I'll have them when I do
the service. Sure makes
time on this site very
worth while. (BTW, every
time I get on this site I
have to fight the urge to
log off and go get some
tractor time. How do you
fight that urge?)

Ches

/ 2710 Service Tips
Ches,
Some things in life are not worth fighting. Give in to the urge and get some seat time. We'll all be here when you get back.
Dale