2638 HST 4wd Arm Comp snapped off

/ 2638 HST 4wd Arm Comp snapped off #12  
Talked to one of my mechanic buddies, and he suggested that if you decide to drill and tap the rod that broke, be sure to add some HD Locktite to the bolt when you thread it into the hole, plus welding the bolt to the rod, plus the weld of metal to the bolt to support the linkage. If the rod is (say) ½" diameter, he suggested a 5/16" bolt.

Shifting into 4WD can be cumbersome, but I find that if I am moving forward slowly that I can pull the lever up without any effort. To go back to 2WD, I touch the reverse pedal, idle the tractor down and then it usually shifts without a problem. Others have said to use the bucket down-force to reduce front axle pressure before shifting into/out of 4WD. I've never done that myself, but seems to make sense.

/ 2638 HST 4wd Arm Comp snapped off #13  
How do you think it happened then.
I think his friend jammed on the 4wd lever in an abusive manner. This kind of thing happens more than it should when lending a tractor to others.

/ 2638 HST 4wd Arm Comp snapped off #14  
I think his friend jammed on the 4wd lever in an abusive manner. This kind of thing happens more than it should when lending a tractor to others.

You think his friend exerting enough force on the 4wd linkage to shear a 1/2" steel shaft is more likely than it being broken by something protruding from the ground?

Every other part of that linkage is much weaker than the steel shaft and would have broken long before the shaft did if that was the case.

/ 2638 HST 4wd Arm Comp snapped off #15  
In either case, his friend should fess up.

/ 2638 HST 4wd Arm Comp snapped off #16  
I would like to see a close up of the shaft end on both pieces. That groove to hold the shaft in position is a stress riser and likely caused a fatigue break. Looking at the break ends will confirm.

/ 2638 HST 4wd Arm Comp snapped off #17  
My 2538 goes into 4 wheel very easy , But getting it out is another story. If i am in low range forget it , I have to raise the front wheels then it pushes down easy, If the tractor is in 4 wheel changing gear ranges is very hard no matter what i try, once im in 2 wheel gears change pretty easy,

/ 2638 HST 4wd Arm Comp snapped off #18  
My 2538 goes into 4 wheel very easy , But getting it out is another story. If i am in low range forget it , I have to raise the front wheels then it pushes down easy, If the tractor is in 4 wheel changing gear ranges is very hard no matter what i try, once im in 2 wheel gears change pretty easy,
If possible, try shifting out of 4WD on a slight downslope, moving forward very slow. Seems to work for me.

I think some added pressure builds up on the front axle because it turns at a different rate ( I think a hair faster) than the rear. So if you're on dry ground, the pressure gets more pronounced.

/ 2638 HST 4wd Arm Comp snapped off
Thank you all for your comments, this has been very helpful. I'm not sure exactly how it broke as I was not there and yes learned my lesson on loaning out my tractor.

The 4wd has been used, but not excessively so it might have been seized, but im not sure. I never had a problem with it. The picture is rusty because it has been like that for a few months now, while I decide what to do. I think it's just from bare metal exposure.

I will try your suggestion with tapping the existing bolt because it is worth a shot. If it works great no split, but if it is seized inside than we tried right.

Thank you all for your comments and time taken to share your thoughts. I'll keep you updated if you all want.

/ 2638 HST 4wd Arm Comp snapped off #20  
Thank you all for your comments, this has been very helpful. I'm not sure exactly how it broke as I was not there and yes learned my lesson on loaning out my tractor.

The 4wd has been used, but not excessively so it might have been seized, but im not sure. I never had a problem with it. The picture is rusty because it has been like that for a few months now, while I decide what to do. I think it's just from bare metal exposure.

I will try your suggestion with tapping the existing bolt because it is worth a shot. If it works great no split, but if it is seized inside than we tried right.

Thank you all for your comments and time taken to share your thoughts. I'll keep you updated if you all want.

Yeah, for sure! I'm interested to see how tapping the shaft goes, hopefully it's a simple process and works for you.