Price Check 2615 Price check

/ 2615 Price check #11  
Do you ever feel yourself about to climb up on the soapbox and there is a nagging feeling that you should let it go? Ah, one of those moments....:eek:

$12,965 MSRP for the tractor, $3569 MSRP for the loader, freight generally runs $250/unit by the truckload. $16,784 MSRP with freight. Sales price of $12,850 is below dealers real cost, perhaps he has stacked some rebates, volume bonus, truckload deals, cash rebates, etc., or maybe it has come due on his credit line and he is dumping it. It is hard to say, we do see this occasionally and it is hard to explain. Generally the sale is to an out of state buyer and the dealer will never have to service the tractor.

Some will ask "Isn't service profitable?". If you play by the rules it is. No free service calls, no free pick-up and delivery. Strictly enforcing warranty issues, basically cutting no slack and servicing in order of importance. Doing nothing if not paid for it.

But honestly, that isn't the way it happens. A customer deserves better. He trusted in you and you need to do what is right, even if neither the customer nor the manufacturer reimburses you. What about the three-point sway chain that the customer failed to snug up after switching implements? Yep, dropped in the mud somewhere. Covered by warranty? Not really. The battery that fails after 3 months, rare but happens. Do you send them to the Exide dealer like the warranty provides, or do you grab another battery and do the exchange yourself. You see, there are so many little things that a good customer deserves and a good dealer provides, but there has to be some gross margin to do so.

Some will say, quite adamantly, that I am out of line. Sales are sales, and service is service, never the twain should meet. But I really like selling to customers that expect and desire the best in both sales and service and do not mind paying a fair price to get it. Not a high price, just a fair price.

I better get off my soapbox! To the guy with the $12,850 2615G with loader, you did very well and you'll like the tractor.

/ 2615 Price check #12  
Please allow me to step up on my soap box for a few minutes. I shopped around. Distance was not an issue because there are no Mahindra dealers in Idaho. I question that, however, that's a whole different discussion. Allow me to continue. I paid my own sales tax and had the tractor shipped to me via a bid on uship.com. So there were other costs associated with the sale (my costs). I also bought ALL my implements from the dealer and there had to be some profit margin there as well.

Let's do a case study. Someone go and price a new pickup. Once you find the best deal possible, call the #1 car dealer in a little town called Kellogg Idaho. He will beat any price you can get. He sales more Dodge pickups then any major car dealer or at least I think he's #1. This dealer sales 1000's of units per month. People fly into Spokane Washington and he shuttles people to pickup new trucks. How does he do it? He sales large volumes and after market MOPAR products. So, small profit margins on the trucks and larger margins on the MOPAR products.

There appears to be a bunch of people on this forum that just like to throw in a few words of wisdom without actually stepping back and taking a look at the big picture.

I've bought Harley parts off the web for less then half of what they cost at the dealership. How does that work? Probably because there is 150% markup on parts. I can buy other parts from dealers out east every day at 20% less then I can get them here and with shipping they are still a lot cheaper. How do they do that? I can buy an after market cold air intake on the web for my Hemi for half the cost from the local dealer. How do they do that?

So when someone steps up and questions or comments on prices, look around and do some comparison shopping. If your dealer is around the corner, buy from them. If not, shop around.

I bought my 07 Dodge Ram 4x4 Bighorn edition for $12,500 off the sticker price. I think the S in MSRP stands for 'suggested'. I'm sure they made a profit on it they are still in business.

One more thing before I quit. I had my choice of out of state dealers in December of 2007 to buy from and the price between dealer(((s))) was real close. The choice was made buy whom I felt more comfortable dealing with and the one that took the time with me to explain model differences, etc.

Off of my box now.........

Last edited:
   / 2615 Price check #13  
White,

You had no local dealer, you paid your own sales tax, and you shopped for a dealer that not only had a great price but one that you were comfortable with. I sure can't knock that. My soapbox was more in general, not aimed at you.

Enjoy your tractor.

/ 2615 Price check #14  
Dave,

Thank you. I just didn't want this to get out of hand. I love the tractor and I wouldn't have bought it knowing there was no close dealer without a lot of research and recommendations on Mahindra. I can work on it myself if something comes up other then a major engine problem which I don't expect.

I had my choice and the other major dealers are here in town. But, for price, tractor weight, lifting capability, etc. Mahindra was the way to go.

My buddies are so impressed I'll probably never have to brush hog the two acres since they will be coming over and wanting to run it....ha

I'm really hoping a local tractor dealer takes on the Mahindra line in the future.

Regards

/ 2615 Price check #15  
Dave, Amen on the soap box speech.It seems as some dealers should be required to listen to the presentation that you gave at the January dealer meeting.(Excellent job by the way)If they did as you suggested on pricing and service we would all make a better living. We all know there is the occasional unit that we need rid of , but day in and and day out pricing in this way only makes our jobs harder when we take care of our customers ,and the other guys could care less.

White please don't take offense to my comments its not intended that way.

/ 2615 Price check #16  
Sundowner said:
Dave, Amen on the soap box speech.It seems as some dealers should be required to listen to the presentation that you gave at the January dealer meeting.(Excellent job by the way)If they did as you suggested on pricing and service we would all make a better living. We all know there is the occasional unit that we need rid of , but day in and and day out pricing in this way only makes our jobs harder when we take care of our customers ,and the other guys could care less.

White please don't take offense to my comments its not intended that way.

Thanks Sundowner for the kind words. I was very nervous in front of all those dealers, but I just spoke from my heart and it reasonated well with other like minded dealers.

White impressed me by paying his state taxes and wishing he had a local dealer. In his situation, he did just as I would have. Seems like an honest thoughtful guy.

/ 2615 Price check #17  
Sundowner said:

Agreed, I hate to say it but we are lower than the original price the poster listed above (not including the rebate, tax, etc.).....why? too many dealers in our area and one that would rather sell at cost than lose a sale to one of the other dealers just for the sake of it. does that dealership gain anything? no. Do they hurt themselves and all other dealers in their area? most definitely. It's extremely frustrating taking the time to go out on the lot and spending a few hours with a customer showing them everything on a tractor, letting them drive it, explaining the advantages/disadvantages, etc. then have them go down the road and buy from the dealer who won't even step foot on the lot just because they are $100 cheaper and then have them bring that tractor to you for service after all is said and done. This is why it frustrates me when people just try and price stuff without getting to know their dealer and getting an idea of what quality of service they will get. There is also the change in the way Mahindra is pricing units to dealers that I think some dealers don't quite understand which is also a cause of underpricing but I won't open that can of worms. I'll stop there before I too start climbing that soapbox Dave spoke of.

Last edited:
   / 2615 Price check #18  
In retrospect, I will never share these things again. If you look back, there were several dealers I could have bought from within a couple hundred bucks different. If your in MS., CA., I never called you. I hope you do well and prosper!! I joined this listserve to get some education on my tractor, etc.

I want to thank all of you that have helped me including the personal e-'s. The rest can ***** at each other as far as I'm concerned because life is too short and I really don't care.

/ 2615 Price check #19  
BTW...just bought a Lincoln Pro Mig (continious, no click) Welder 230v for $300 off it's MSRP. How do they do that? That's about x% off retail. How do they do that and make money? It's simple...demand verses supply...Does it appear I am a little pissy. Yes...if YOU the dealers can't get along then how do you think you make the consumers feel when making a tractor selection? In the end all of the dealers loose and it really doesn't matter where the tractor was bought, your still getting x amount on service and warranty work. Am I confused? The Harley, Dodge, (you pick) dealers could care less what deal you made with an out-of-state dealer....Never a question...they end up with the buck on service and support and these consumer items cost a lot more then the Mahindra I bought.

That being said, there are no Mahindra dealers here so I guess I don't have to lay awake and worry about it..

Last edited:
   / 2615 Price check #20  
whiteh20, in no way was my comment directed at you. You received a good deal on a tractor, there is nothing wrong with that.

I also realize MSRP is the suggested retail price, that's why I don't get the huge fuss over MSRP's not being posted anymore but let's not go down that road again. Just my opinion.

By the way, dealers make very little, if any, profit on warranty work regardless of what you may think.

I was just stating why I have to sell at what some of the other dealers on here consider too low....in hindsight I should have probably just bit my tongue on the topic.

Regardless, enjoy your tractor!