Buying Advice 2607H or 4707

/ 2607H or 4707 #1  

GlendonRMorgan

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 65
The 65 is dead and i'm not going to rebuild it just now. It actually ran just fine until the old barn collapsed on it a year ago. It was my great grandfather's purchased brand new and is the only tractor i have ever operated. I worked on farms as a kid but only operated a skid steer. I was a stupid kid. They let me shovel. I'm 35 now and buying great grandfather's house and what remains of the family farm... a whopping 25 acres and a 30x40 pole barn in good condition. North Central Indiana, so my land is flat as a pancake. 75 horse might seem more than i need and it may be at first, but i want to small square hay with it in time. I'm going to go all permaculture/Salatin method of raising livestock and have an acre and a half or two of market garden. I'm also about halfway crippled. I've got rods in my back and can't walk the greatest or pick stuff off the ground the best, so i need machinery to help bear loads and lift. I can carry feed bags and square bales, but not too far (50 yds or so), so i need a tractor. (im totally gonna fabricate a "big toolrack" sort of thing for myself.)

Im going to run box blade, bush hog, rotor tiller, post hole auger, other lighter stuff at first so i thought a compact will do. well, i'm gonna need to grow hay, and im not going to want to hire it out for very long. im gonna try to get a cheap three bottom plow and small discs and an old grain drill to plant alfalfa, hire it out and then buy haying equipment likely after i get the tractor loan paid off. I can only afford one piece of equipment atm so a tractor with a front end loader is the obvious choice. I could get away with a 1700M for now but i know i'd be trading it in for something to hay in the nearish future. I'm like my great grandfather in that i intend to keep this massey til one of us dies. I do hope and expect my farm grows and i have the need for another tractor before too awful long. While I LOVE the 4707 with a cab it's quite a bit more than the 2607h for what seems like the same basic features. I don't need fancy to start, and it's likely foolish to start with a $50,000 tractor even if you can afford the payment. The 2607h looks like it can do anything the 4707 can, except be tuned to 100 hp in five years. Am I wrong? It seems like my best bet since i'd be going open platform is the 2607h. A compact will leave me lacking in time and i can always get the nice cab 4707(or bigger :) i do like the 5711 Global Dyna too) as my second tractor once i need it. I do love the 2600h series as i grew up with a 65. The three point controls look like they still use the same parts for pete's sake. H does mean Heritage for sure.

Is my logic sound? Also, I haven't seen any quotes on a 2607h.... What are they actually going out the door for? From what i can tell they run 28-32.. am i in the ballpark? I've no desire to work on a used tractor while i'm starting my farm business. I also hope to hire out my tiller. Lots of gardening in my neck of the woods.

Don't suggest another brand. I buy Massey Ferguson.

/ 2607H or 4707 #2  
Welcome to TBN

I have the 2604h so far it痴 an awesome tractor. I have 60 hours on it now. It has been a workhorse. The dealer said to work it hard and I do.

Not sure about the price in your area. My tractor, loader, and trailer to haul it was about $33000. I知 sure you can get a better price now with the virus. They will probably make any deal they can get.

Hope this help

/ 2607H or 4707 #3  
Both are very good choices and very reliable. If you are crippled up I would go with the 4707 since it has a power shuttle and the lever an controls are more ergonomically layed out - it makes it much more used friendly. It is also available in ROPS version like the 2600H is havong a cab is not that important to you. The 2600H is fairly similar to your current tractor and is a very good value. Good luck in your decision.

/ 2607H or 4707
im not worried about the clutch and the power shuttle. its just economics on the cab... sure i'd love one, but this tractor is about making money, not spending it. It seems the 2607H can do everything a 4707 can do for quite a bit less moolah. I havent seen a quote on a rops 4707 but they quote about 10k higher MSRP according to Massey's website. The only huge thing about the 4707 is extra horsepower after the warranty ends, but i'm not exactly sure that will be worth an extra 10k for a bit more comfort and horsepower in five years. i mentioned im crippled to justify needing a tractor even for piddly stuff like tilling garden. I can operate the old ariens, but not all day, and boy will I pay for it for days. I get around but move slow and shouldn't bear too much weight even though I'm able.