Ballast 2520 Wheel Weights

/ 2520 Wheel Weights #1  

Runner

Veteran Member
Tractor
2024 Cub Cadet Ultima ZTXS5 54, 2007 John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B
Just in case anyone was wondering what a 2520 looks like with a full compliment of wheel weights, here it is.

Attachments

• 100_0212 B.JPG
    100_0212 B.JPG
    589.4 KB · Views: 1,473
   / 2520 Wheel Weights #2  
That looks very nice. Your tires look large, and nice ans square sided. It looks larger than my 3720 in the picture. Even the front tires look wide. Very sharp machine.

/ 2520 Wheel Weights #3  
Lookin' good! what rear mower is that? I am looking for one. Is it 7 iron? I didn't think they made one of those, but it looks like that!

/ 2520 Wheel Weights
jr, that is a Frontier GM1072R rear finish mower and is the reason for all the wheel weights. The thing weights so much, I have to be in 4WD almost all the time to move it around on all the hills on my property (like the one right behind it in the picture).

I didn't want to load the tires, so I've been experimenting with wheel weights. I ran it all last season with two weights per wheel, and it helped some, but I still need 4WD all the time. Haven't had a chance to mow with the three wieghts per side (60 lbs x 3 per side), but I did drive it around a little. Again, some improvement, but still slips a little (enough to tear up the grass).

Appearance-wise, it looks a little strange to me, but then, it looked strange when I first saw it after installing the first two weights also. Now, 2520's look naked to me without wheel weights :)

Here's a closeup shot.

Attachments

• 100_0211 B.JPG
    100_0211 B.JPG
    545.9 KB · Views: 2,083
   / 2520 Wheel Weights #5  
I didn't want to load the tires,

just out of curiosity, why not?

also, have you considered getting the economy Frontier mower? I believe it is significantly lighter than yours, it may solve your problem. I've got the 72" econo version by Frontier, it is made by BEFCO, still plenty solid, but light enough that it doesn't weight the back of the tractor too much.

/ 2520 Wheel Weights
"just out of curiosity, why not?"

Bird, I chose not to weight the tires because I didn't want to deal with the mess if I got a flat. I also have lots of thorn trees around here. I've plucked a lot of thorns out of the tires, but so far, have been lucky that none of them made it all the way through the R4's. Also, I've been restoring a lawn tractor with rusted out wheel rims and really don't like the idea of introducing liquids into the tires on purpose. I realize that things like windshield washer fluid and beet juice aren't supposed to be corrosive, but I still don't like the idea. Not saying I'll never do it, but I'm trying to avoid it.

I don't have the spec's close at hand right now, but I didn't see much difference in weight on the 72 inch mowers. As I remember, even the GM1060 was only about 65 lbs less than the GM1072. Seems like you'd have to drop about 200 lbs from the weight of the mower to make much difference. I think the GM1072 that I'm running weighs 678 lbs or so.

On edit, I see that the GM2072R only weighs 600 lbs, so that might be enough less weight to make a difference.

How much does your BEFCO unit weigh?

Last edited:
   / 2520 Wheel Weights #7  
   / 2520 Wheel Weights
Bird, I guess the weight difference must be due to the metal thickness for the deck. The GM1072R specs show 8 gage and the BEFCO unit specs show 11 gage.

That is quite a weight difference there and I'd imagine the 2520 would have a much easier time with the lighter mower.

Thanks for the info.

/ 2520 Wheel Weights #9  
You may want some more weight on the front of the tractor, adding weight to the rear is more useful for FEL operations than a heavy rear implement. The "suitcase weights" that mount to the front would probably be good but you can also look into RimGuard, it's not corrosive to metal. I've never understood using salt water in the metal rims myself, it's fine as long as they're full but if there's a leak it will corrode anything it leaks on and if it leaks below the rim you're pretty much in trouble.