25 Acres worth buying hay equipment?

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #21  
I have a mild obsession with making off farm money with the hay tractors. Only the ones with loaders do this well. The ones without are limited to field mowing and thats about it.

Once you start hay farming, you must accompany that with off farm income (unless you have a daily job) or you’ll be in the hole up till you get into several hundred acres of hay.

Until I got over 500+ tons of hay production, money was pretty scarce. Now that I’m around 1,000 tons, there’s a little bit of relief.

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #22  
I'm in East Texas and I buy about 30 or more round bales a year. When we have a bad year, people start buying it from other states. Louisiana is the closest place to buy hay from, but because of all the rain they get, it has the reputation of being moldy. It's also really cheap, so people that I know will take the risk because of how cheap it is there, and then complain about it when it gets here. When buying hay from somebody that's had it trucked in, the first question you ask is where it's from. If it's from Louisiana or Mississippi, it's usually better to pass on it regardless f the price.

Round bales from Louisiana sell for $35 to $50. Local round bales in my area of Tyler/Longview will sell for $65 to $120 depending on quality. Best quality is pure fertilized Coastal Bermuda. Then you work your way down the price scale by how much Bahia is in it, and even less for hay with weeds in it.

I'm in the process of buying 40 acres that's full of Mesquite trees, but also has some really nice Bermuda on it. My goal is to remove the Mesquite, and hire somebody to bale it. Eventually I might buy my own equipment, but my main goal is to have a reliable source of hay for my animals. If there is any extra to sell, then that would be a bonus, but I really don't want to get into selling hay.

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #23  
but my main goal is to have a reliable source of hay for my animals.

This is exactly why I got into haying. In middle TN, we always have a perfect window to make hay at the end of May or beginning of June. Everyone cuts their own land and hay first, and I got tired year after year of having my quality hay sit while I waited on somebody to custom bale it. After having a few different people not show up without calling or texting, not doing a good job, or being unreasonable, I decided it was best to do it myself.

I helped each of those guys that custom baled my hay, learned a lot in the process, Googled a lot, and have now successfully hayed my land the last several years by myself.

Now that I am feeding that hay to my cows, I take pride in having quality feed that I don’t have to rely on other people to produce.

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #24  
I think that will become my goal as I progress with my farm. The money to buy everything is absurd, but not being able to find hay when you need it, makes it more likely to happen. In the last dozen years, I've had four really good suppliers. Three of them have quit selling hay for one reason or another. I have two feed stores that sell good quality hay, but it's one bale at a time from them, and they are $30 more then buying it from a farm. In bad years, they run out too!!!

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #25  
This is my backup plan and something I may at least look into for a year or 2. I will need to discuss some of the finer details because I don't want anyone bringing in a bunch of manure as fertilizer. lol. I plan to run a disc through it in the spring because it is a little rough.
Don't want manure? How are you planning to build soil quality, organic matter and fertility?

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #26  
Make money back? So equipment is essentially free, or generates profit? Good question.

Remember, if you spend $20,000 on hay equipment, it not like you lost $20,000, or the $20,000 is gone. You still have the $20,000, but instead of it being in the form of numbers on a bank statement, it’s in the form of hay equipment. And it can likely be transformed back into (nearly) the same number on a bank statement the day you sell the equipment. You still have the money. Always had it. And in the meantime made hay.

Whereas, the money you spend buying hay is turned into **** as soon as it gets eaten.

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #27  
I think that will become my goal as I progress with my farm. The money to buy everything is absurd, but not being able to find hay when you need it, makes it more likely to happen. In the last dozen years, I've had four really good suppliers. Three of them have quit selling hay for one reason or another. I have two feed stores that sell good quality hay, but it's one bale at a time from them, and they are $30 more then buying it from a farm. In bad years, they run out too!!!

Probably because cheap skates have beat them down on price so bad, they quit.

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #28  
This is my backup plan and something I may at least look into for a year or 2. I will need to discuss some of the finer details because I don't want anyone bringing in a bunch of manure as fertilizer. lol. I plan to run a disc through it in the spring because it is a little rough.
Then you might want to reconsider doing hay at all. lol
Manure is the best free fertilizer you can get.

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment?
Then you might want to reconsider doing hay at all. lol
Manure is the best free fertilizer you can get.
Well, I was a little vague. I don't mind using as an actual fertilizer, but know people that claim others have attempted to store some on their property while leasing. Lived around cattle pastures most of my life, so I'm good with that....just not piles lol.

/ 25 Acres worth buying hay equipment? #30  
In the process of purchasing around 29 acres of old pasture land, which is roughly 25 acres of grass, 3/4-1 acre pond, and the remaining is smaller woods that I will likely reclaim with a mulcher or something similar. I'm not sure what I want to do with is, but it connects to our the property (mostly wooded) that we are building on. Could I realistically make my money back on the haying equipment on such a small property? I currently have a Kubota M9540 and 15' flexwing, so would have to buy everything. No real desire to start cutting commercially outside of my property, just looking for something to do with it that would allow me to keep it looking nice other than just bush-hogging. I work in the oilfield so spend periods of weeks away from home, so cattle is unlikely until I retire in 10-15 years.
Get you some hay equipment. Take care of It. If you don't like haying sell it.