2400H Valve adjustment

/ 2400H Valve adjustment #1  

oldnslo

Tractor
Branson 2400H, JD X540
I am approaching 800 hours and the service manual says should check valve clearances. Problem is the service manual I have is just the Chasis and does not cover the engine much to my surprise..
Questions I have are:
1) what is the valve clearance specs for this model? I believe 2013 model year. Manual does not provide engine model though.
2) Where are the timing marks to show when cylinders are at TDC? I looked briefly and did not see anything by the flywheel housing nor any marks on the front pulley.
3) Is the valve cover gasket rubber or paper and will it require replacing?

Thanks

/ 2400H Valve adjustment #2  
Here is two service manuals. First one is dedicated to A1000, A1100 and A1100T engines. Second one is a 2018 manual for the 2400 and 2510 models.

Also, on the valve cover, although it might be covered by a bracket, there should be a sticker with the info on the engine along with the valve clearances. As far as the gasket goes, I would expect it to be a rubber gasket as well.

/ 2400H Valve adjustment
Thanks PT

/ 2400H Valve adjustment #4  
You may need to make a gasket as well. Seems like I remember hearing that Branson now recommends a liquid gasket compound. I would probably just make one with gasket material.

/ 2400H Valve adjustment #5  
You may need to make a gasket as well. Seems like I remember hearing that Branson now recommends a liquid gasket compound. I would probably just make one with gasket material.
for valve covers, cylinder head, and hydraulic pumps no, those use specific gaskets, for sealing up the trans, hydraulic top cases, rear axles, case to case sealing etc, yes we now you a high temp instant gasket

/ 2400H Valve adjustment
Finally got around to checking the valve clearance on my 2400H and here are a couple of things to note.
Working under the hood was awkward but removing the hood looked like even bigger challange.

1) Valve cover uses a preformed rubber seal that fits in a groove on the cover face. I was able to carefully slide putty knife between seal and head and reused the seal.
2) Studs fit very snugly in the valve cover so must be lifted very close to straight up. Be careful not to lose the copper seal washers under the acorn nuts.
3) Fuel tank fill point and heat shield make getting valve cover off difficult. Be careful not to damage the rubber seal while working the cover out and back in.
4) on my engine the timing arrow is not in location show in service manual. I used mirror and flashlight and could not see any indication of arrow nor feel anything.
5) Aligning the timing mark on harmonic balancer in location arrow is supposed to be allowed checking valve clearance per the service manual.

At 779 hrs all clearances where still within spec.

/ 2400H Valve adjustment #7  
Finally got around to checking the valve clearance on my 2400H and here are a couple of things to note.
Working under the hood was awkward but removing the hood looked like even bigger challange.

1) Valve cover uses a preformed rubber seal that fits in a groove on the cover face. I was able to carefully slide putty knife between seal and head and reused the seal.
2) Studs fit very snugly in the valve cover so must be lifted very close to straight up. Be careful not to lose the copper seal washers under the acorn nuts.
3) Fuel tank fill point and heat shield make getting valve cover off difficult. Be careful not to damage the rubber seal while working the cover out and back in.
4) on my engine the timing arrow is not in location show in service manual. I used mirror and flashlight and could not see any indication of arrow nor feel anything.
5) Aligning the timing mark on harmonic balancer in location arrow is supposed to be allowed checking valve clearance per the service manual.

At 779 hrs all clearances where still within spec.
Thank you that is excellent information 👍